Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

HYPERSEEK vs. IF vs. LINKS

Quote Reply
HYPERSEEK vs. IF vs. LINKS
Hello,

I think noone is reading "UBBstolen" anymore
so maybe this Topis will interests somenone.

---------

so what then you cgi-guys can say about the Hyperseek ?

-Automatic INSTALL
-NO FILES to EDIT
-FREE Lifetime UPGRADES
-One CLICK UPGRADES
-FAST Page BIULT
-SUPER FAAAST SEARCH (iWEB module)
-PLUGINS style moduls
-SUPERB Integration
-and so on...

I am not using it, just wondering to choose yours or Hyper....

When reading your posts I think:

There are ONLY 3 well known link SRIPTS:

LINKS
IF
Hyperseek

It is obvious that owner of LINKS or even
programist of it will tell that others are JUNK!

It's called a COMPETITION :-)

Maybe you do more of it to IF because it's
cheap and Hyperseek is pretty for the beginning.

Many of you are saying: "so what that I nedded to spend hours setting "LINKS" up - it is fun", but maybe not for
everyone.

Time is money and FUNCTIONALITY and EASY setup and MAINTANCE counts.

It looks that Hyperseek delivers ALL that and looks like a most advanced link script for not small but reasonable
money.

So... what do you think about Hyperseek just
compare its "NO WORK" for admin design.

Arek

P.S. My English is like it is. Sorry.

------------------
Quote Reply
Re: HYPERSEEK vs. IF vs. LINKS In reply to
I have been reading the thread about Hyperseek vs. other programs. First off, I am a Hyperseek user. Second, it was only four hundred bucks and I understand there is also a freeware version of the software. Can't get any cheaper than free.

I have had only one problem with hyperseek and that is when a person I needed to talk to went on vacation. I don't know about you, but I need a vacation every once in a while too, so I understand someone having to get away.

I did complain about it, not knowing the person was on vacation and got a phone call and several email messages from back up support people. Their lead programmer walked me through my problem on the phone and wouldn't get off the phone until I was sure everything I needed done was done.

Next I took a course in the use of the program from a lead support person via telephone, which answered any other questions I have had about the product.

Hyperseek also has an extensive newsgroup, help files and a pretty decent support network set up. This support network is monitored by both users and HyperSeek staff.

I would say that as far as HyperSeek and any other product I have purchase online, that HyperSeek has been the best investment I have made to date.

Finally I would like to add that HyperSeek has many products that are included at no additional charge in their program. Products like Bannermaster, Mail Administrator, and many plugins for the product making the program that much more valuable. If I had to rate the product against the money I spent, I would say it delivers more than I expected and functions perfectly.

Jeff Watters
http://nettx.com
Quote Reply
Maybe so, but Does Hyperseek have people besides programmers making mods just for the hell of it. I think I saw Hyperseeks prices and for sql it costs more than 400. Links Standard is way cheaper than that and sql is about the same as the price you said. HS sql is like 1000 or more or something like that.
It probably has better searching features, but Links has more and more added everyday and an update by Alex around the corner. Maybe better searching for case-sensitive insensitive. So far, I haven't seen any hypermart users using hyperseek, but i do see alot using links, which shows its easy on a remote server.

[This message has been edited by Bmxer (edited September 12, 1999).]
Quote Reply
I agree, Bmxer. Also, jeffnettx, what are you doing hanging out in the LINKS forum when you are a HyperSeek user. If you are truly a satisfied customer, why look around at other programs, huh?

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
Hyperseek is an excellent program...I don't recall anyone ever saying it wasn't. It is also way more expensive than I, and I suspect a large number of other Links users, can afford to spend regardless of how good it is. If you think its reasonable and it suits your purposes, than go ahead and buy it--I'm sure you will be happy with it. I can say that the free version of it is pretty much worthless.

Indexfinger has been discussed at length in this forum (including the "UBB stolen" thread you posted this same message in). A key factor is that IF is far less efficient than Links. I also direct you to cgi-resources.com to view the user ratings of IF and Links. I think those ratings say it all.

Links is very reasonably priced, and even free for the hobbyist that just wants an easier way to manage their links. A more expensive version (LinksSQL) is available for those that need the extra power. For me, one of the major factors in Links favor is these forums. The Links community supports each other and is very creative. The vast number of mods that are available to expand and customize Links is a major plus. I like the idea of one person coming up with a great idea, and other folks jumping in to help make it happen. That's better than a company deciding what can and can't be done, then selling me another module to do it with. I have also learned a HUGE amount about CGI and Perl from working with Links and these fine folks...knowledge I have been able to apply to other applications. You seem to think that's a bad thing, I certainly don't!
Quote Reply
Yes, Hyperseek is a really nice product. Yet in terms of customer and technical support, it SUCKS! I requested information from the Hyperseek programmer three times over a period of two months with NO response.

Also, there is limited if NO technical support if you run into problems. Technical support in terms of a forum or network of other users to assist each other with modifying the script.

In terms of Hyperseek's flexibility...not good. From the demos I saw there was a limited amount of customization (only isolated to adding headers and footers, font styles). But in terms of setting up a unique portal, Hyperseek is quite restrictive.

LINKS is a great program because it is used by outstanding programmers who are willing to assist you with modifying the scripts to make it meet your goals. Also, LINKS is so flexible that you can apply it for other purposes, including:

a) Classified Ads
b) Resume and Job Postings
c) Book Reviews
d) Front End for Shopping Cart programs
e) Download Sites

and the list goes on and on.

Yes, time is money. But you have to consider the long term benefits of using a flexible product that you can change and modify.

Also, there are some LINKS users who are in the process of writing mods that will allow automatic install of mods to your LINKS program. There are also mods being worked on to include multiple administrators. There are also mods written to increase interactivity of sites.

So, the choice is really up to you. But I think that you will find a lot of satisfied customers and programmers who enjoy using LINKS and some have struggled with installing it. But all in all, it is an outstanding product.

I would encourage you to read some of the archived Threads relating to this Thread. You might find some more answers to your questions.

Good luck.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
info@anthrotech.com
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
-------
LINKS is a great program because it is used by outstanding programmers who are willing to assist you with modifying the scripts to
make it meet your goals. Also, LINKS is so flexible that you can apply it for other purposes, including....
--------------------

Yes.. but what do you meen: "willing to assist" - it is simple, if you are not so GREAT in CGI/PERL programing you need to PAY for someone to make it for you... so costs go up and up everytime you need to progress with something.

I don't want to be missunderstood - I am not a HYPERSEEK lover - just want to choose the RIGHT ONE.

I can understand the benefits that LINKS is biult by many people and it is growing every day, but all improovements and addons are ordered to make like this:
"go to file:......, edit it, find part with this and make some changes and if it does'n work try another way.." - for me (I am not keen enough with CGI and Perl) this kind of instructions are scary :-(

If so many people is building this script all around the world so why the maintance and some easy setup and adding new options are not "standarizied".

I mean work out a standard options to include in every module which is prepared.

Than user could make upgrades like:

choosing what to include/upgrade and clicking: Upgrade my LINKS or clicking INCLUDE this module to my LINKS... and
after it the new options are shown inside administration panel.

Just think about popularity of LINKS! If almost everyone even without any CGI/Perl knowledge could: install, setup and upgrade or include new moduls for himself. :-)

You GUYS here look for me like LINKS lovers : "no metter what" and you forgot one BIG thing:

IT IS NOT ENOUGH TO MAKE A GOOD CAR ...the GOAL IS to make a car which is GOOD but also easy to DRIVE.

Arek
(non-programist point of view)

------------------
Quote Reply
I see where your coming from, but i don't know if you know, but if you have everything straight with your server and everything, Links could be up (uncustomized) in maybe 15 minutes - / an hour. About the willing to assist, Not many people charge for stuff, the only real cost is links, most mods are free and made in the spare time of other links users. Sometimes though, mod writers like to see if they can get something off of a mod, but thats rare. I think you should try the free version of links first, then if you don't like it, go to Hyperseek, but remember, there is like 30 or more mods already in the resource center and like 100 or more alltogether in the forums. Plus, faqs, and sites to look at to see how they implement stuff. This script is very supported and you can get an answer (not all the time) to a question in the forum answered in maybe 5 minutes.
Quote Reply
I may be comming onto something here. I have a copy of RedHat on my computer. In my spare time, i am going to create an install script, that stays on a server. when the user goes to the script, they can enter the varables (like the path to perl, sendmail, and the home directories. The script would then cerate a temparary copy of links on the server, open an ftp connection to the server where they want it installed, copy over all of the files, and display the user with a getting started page, on how to do some basic stuff in links. Now comes the questions:
1. would you use a script like this to install links, or would you rather install it by hand?
2. What futures would you like to see in the install script?
3. Is anyone working on a script like this?
4. If i get responces to this, and if you made an addon, would you like to let the user have the abitily to choose to install it when they install links?
Please reply.
Jim
Quote Reply
Hello Again,

I just forgot about one thing The HYPERSEEK
gratest advantage:

it is INTERNATIONAL or better say MULTILINGUAL!!

By using PLUGINS you don't need to worry that your link site is a non-english site.

PLUGIN is a PLUGIN you can name it as you wish and the language you use is up yourself.

Example: "ADD LINK" PLUGIN is called "ADD LINK" inside admin program but when building a webpage the name: "DODAJ LINK" is shown (which is polish language).

Am I wrong.... but I think that LINKS need a translation if want to use it in Polish language.

Arek
(non-programist point of view)

------------------
Quote Reply
There is a NON-ENGLISH mod available in the Resource Center. And many programmers have assisted foreign non-English speakers with modifying their scripts to allow additional special characters, like accent characters.

So, there is the ability for LINKS to be converted into Non-English system.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
info@anthrotech.com
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
I just started using Links2. I find the forum a very valuable feature. Look at the response times to the threads. it's like having tech support by hundreds of people.

So you have to do some searching and spend time to work out problems. But I feel what I have learned is very valuable. The knowledge can be used for unlimited future projects.

nelson
Quote Reply
I read this thread and would like to underline the importance of a cooperative forum. In my eyes most any product is useless without effective support and backing. This forum seems to provide all of that in an excellent way. (I am a member of a forum for another popular product; where people seemingly try to hide information from their competition) All that accomplishes is stifled development of the product. ...so thumbs up to this forum!