Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Build All Does Not Happen Anymore

Quote Reply
Build All Does Not Happen Anymore
I've reached the 1000 link mark in links 2.0.

When I go to "Build All" it no longer finishes (or can finish) the build all. I've also noticed that the count of links in the categories would reset back to ZERO, but with the links still in there.

I have roughly 800 categories with 1000 links. I am on one of those 19.95 a month plans but the site seems to work very fast.

I can no longer get the build all to complete the task and stagger build does not help.

It keeps the links and the total links but the category count goes out the window.

Have I gone as far as I could go?

Need some help, thanks guys :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Build All Does Not Happen Anymore In reply to
If you have telnet access, use it to build your index.

While LINKS can handle up to around 1 MG data with a simple database structure with limited number of fields amounting to around 4,000 Links; browsers typically time out when building the index. The problem is not associated with the number of links you have, but the number of categories you have. It takes a lot longer to build the category hash with a large number of categories.

Also, if you have a highly modded nph-build.cgi, then that can also attribute to your problems.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
----------------------

[This message has been edited by Eliot (edited January 21, 2000).]
Quote Reply
UNIX! Definitely!

You can use the SQL Version of LINKS with Access database files via your ODBC driver with a NT Server, but it is more complex than setting up MySQL tables.

I believe that there is a wonderful site called something like www.webhostarea.com or something like that. This site I believe is linked in the Sites in Action section in the Resource Center. You can use this site to find an ideal hosting company.

I would recommend mine, but I have had other problems not relating to MySQL that is influencing me to find another hosting company myself.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
----------------------

[This message has been edited by Eliot (edited January 22, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Yeah, I see. My links.db file is only 200k and the reason this is is because I've limited the site description to a 100 characters or less, making site owners to get to the point of their site.

However, I need the categories I am building and I thank you for your response. As always, one can count on Eliot and I very much appreciate that.

If I up-grade to links.sql are there some solutions to web hosting that won't be anal about a site that has links like ours?

I figure I might as well go that route as 4,000 links or a 1mb links.db file is not that far away including more category building.

My host does not have telnet and I'll be sad to leave as they're awesome, but they must have a reason for not having it and I beleive it's probably because of security reasons.

Thanks Eliot.

Hey Alex, I hope you're not mad at me :-)
Quote Reply
Just looking for an opinion here?

Which would you go with.

NT

or

Unix

with links-sql?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Well check out this company Eliot and see what you think. They also comply with everyone.net which will provide free mail to your web surfers at no cost to you.

http://www.bravoweb.com/

Let me know what you think?

Quote Reply
Yea...I know about everyone.net...which I have in my site as well.

The company looks pretty good. However, one thing I would check before purchasing an account is the type of network they have?...in terms of: T-1, T-3, etc. Also, if they multiple servers connected with T-1, T-3, etc. It is not clear how their network is configured.

One other concern is their use of cgiwrap, which can be hard to use in terms of custom cgi scripts. If they only use it for SSL (Secure Socket Layer) transfers, then it should not be a big problem. However, I would read over their cgi-bin and cgi script information very carefully to see the level of complexity of moving your site to this hosting company's server.

Also, check out their technical support options. You want to have a hosting company that is professional and available in terms of customer service and technical support.

Although the server resources look really nice in terms of disk space, bandwidth transfer, MySQL, etc.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

[This message has been edited by Eliot (edited January 22, 2000).]
Quote Reply
If I juggle the category.db file and build 1/2 at a time, it builds as if I were building it all at once :-)

What I need to do is cut out the top 1/2 of the data base in the category.db file and build. Afterwards, I paste the top 1/2 back in and build again and we're back in business. :-)

Thank The Lord God for cut & paste. Especially when you have as many categories as I have.

Temporary solution anyway
Quote Reply

Quote:
Temporary solution anyway

You are absolutely correct...very temporary, indeed.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. :)
----------------------