Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Writing a review mod...

Quote Reply
Writing a review mod...
I am writing a review mod inspired mostly by download.com's (pretty much done with the front-end). Was wondering about the admin section. Do you think that I should make it's own admin scripts or incorporate it into admin.cgi, admin_html.pl?

Basically there's a switch in links.cfg and if it is set at 1, reviews will be held in a validation database, and then you can go to the admin and validate them. You can also delete the ones from the review database itself. I have to still write the admin that I described above but it won't be hard. I started this 2 days ago and it's come along nicely. I would post a demo, but i don't have any security on html in fields or spamming.
Lavon Russell
LookHard Mods
lavon@lh.links247.net
Quote Reply
Re: [Bmxer] Writing a review mod... In reply to
picture of the main review page
Lavon Russell
LookHard Mods
lavon@lh.links247.net
Quote Reply
Looks very nice indeed! I think in terms of usability it's better to integrate your mod into admin.cgi and admin_html.pl, as did Jerry with review.cgi. Just my opinion...
Quote Reply
Re: [Tho:mas] Writing a review mod... In reply to
Yeah, you are most likely right. I think i'm thinking it's going to be alot of code to add so it would be better seperating but actually now i'm sure it won't be. Some subs to validate the review, subs that let the admin edit, and delete one. I'm not too sure if I should have a thing in the admin so the admin can add a review from there. Sort of like the way adding links work. What do you think?
Lavon Russell
LookHard Mods
lavon@lh.links247.net
Quote Reply
I think mods of this length should be coded outside the main structure of Links... modularize the script and simply use/require the review system in admin.cgi. that way you can keep the modification to the admin script to a minimum

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [ThatPerson1024] Writing a review mod... In reply to
Good point. So basically, put the html coding in it's own html.pl and the other coding in another and then require them by admin.cgi. Yeah, I think that is a better idea, because the code would be cleaner, and easier to update. I doubt having two extra files would be a pain, and it'll still be using admin.cgi but different coding files. I think i'll do that.
Lavon Russell
LookHard Mods
lavon@lh.links247.net