Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Hit Tracking?

Quote Reply
Hit Tracking?
Does Links provide a "tracking" feature that would count hits per link click?
Thanks.

Quote Reply
Re: [jmueller] Hit Tracking? In reply to
Yup, jump.cgi Wink May wanna read up about it first!

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] Hit Tracking? In reply to
Please elaborate.
What is it? Where can I find it?

Thanks.

Quote Reply
Uh...jump.cgi COMES with Links 2.0...it is an script within the LINKS 2.0 package that does what you want.

Adios!
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Heckler] Hit Tracking? In reply to
Okay... I guess I'm missing the obvious.

I tried executing the script:
http://www.mydomain.com/.../links/jump.cgi?ID=1

And I get a message as follows:
"Error: Can't find link id: 1"

[Also tried different ID's..]

What is the syntax?
Where can I find usage help on this?
Just finished searching here in the forum on that script; can't find anything useful.

Thanks again.

Quote Reply
Uh....you need to BUILD your directory via the nph-build.cgi, which will INCREMENT your HITS in your links.db file and also create the file called url.db, which is used by the jump.cgi script.

Don't know how to do this???

Open your admin.cgi script...then click on the Build All option...wow! Your directory should be built...now go back to the jump.cgi script, wow...it works, correct?

Obvious enough for ya? Did you even read the README file and the steps you need to follow? If not, read it.

Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

Heckler: Jan 8, 2002, 2:57 PM
Quote Reply
My links have been up and running for some time. I have run "Build All".

I return to my original question:
"How is Jump.cgi used? What is the syntax? Is it run from the command line...or? If there are docs somewhere, where are they? Where are the "click" stats viewed?

As stated above, I've seen examples here in the forums of a command like this:
http://www.mysite.com/cgi-bin/links/jump.cgi?id=02

If I run that, regardless of the id#, I get an error:
"Error: No link specified!"

Thanks.

<<Obvious enough for ya? Did you even read the README file and the steps you need to follow? If not, read it. >>
Yea, did you? I searched the README and came up with two irrelevant references to "jump", both pertaining to bug fixes!

Quote Reply
jump.cgi is part of Links2 - all the links in your directory are, by deault, setup to use jump.cgi eg...

jump.cgi?ID=1

....this allows Links2 to track outgoing hits which allows you to put <%Hits%> in link.html to show the number...eg..

This link has received <%Hits%> hits.

The number after ID= references the id of the link in links.db, so if you get an error it means that a link with the id you tried doesn't exist.

Hope that helps a bit.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Jan 8, 2002, 5:38 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Hit Tracking? In reply to
That helps, thanks.

What I was looking [hoping] for was an admin screen with link/hit totals. This isn't it.
Quote Reply
Two options:

1) Go to admin.cgi and select View for the Links Options...then you can select links or List All...you'll see the Hit field.

2) In the default link.html file, you should see <%Hits%>, which will print the value of the HITS for the link in the category page. OR print that tag in the detailed page.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Eliot

Okay.. we're getting closer.
How do I launch the page with the "detailed" template?
Quote Reply
Please search the Links 2.0 forums for detailed pages and you _will_ find threads where this has been discussed (many times before).
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
You're right... Lots of info on detailed pages.

Here's what I need: This will be strictly an admin function for me -- the users don't need to see detail. I will display detail when I need to see totals for link hits.

I see lots of mods here -- hard to tell where each begins and ends. Is there one definitive detailed page mod??
Thanks again.

Quote Reply
You already get a "detailed" view of links...

Again, go to admin.cgi, select View, then select List All or put in values in the form fields...then you will get a complete "report" of the link(s).

No need to mod the admin.cgi further, IMO.

If you want to see a complete site report of links, like TOTALS, then you will need to go to glennu's web site...

Search the forum for glennu, and then go to his "Links 2.0" web site, you'll find a bunch of mods that will allow you to create reports of links in your database.

Good luck!
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
That should do it. thanks.