Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Is A Links 3.0 being developed?

Quote Reply
Is A Links 3.0 being developed?
Just wanted to know whether there is going to be a Links 3.0 developed or whether it is just up to us to modify the onld links 2.0 to tailor it further. I think that there should be a new links released (prefferably in php4) with alot of the features we've seen turned into mods for links 2 and hopefully a more extensive type of MyLinks feature.

Michael

Quote Reply
Re: Is A Links 3.0 being developed? In reply to
There has been incremental edits between 2.01 and 2.04 or 2.05, can't remember.

But as of now, Links 2.0 (the flat file version) is low on Gossamer Threads priority list...Gossamer Mail and Links SQL are much higher and they are working very hard to stabilize LINKS SQL.

So, to answer your question, I don't really think they are going to be developing a new version anytime in the near future, but for an absolute answer, you should contact Alex/Gossamer Threads directly.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
I figured as much, unfortunately I think that's going to leave me either porting links 2 over to php and adding in all the features I want (and if I get some help with this I the other programmers could add their special touches as well) or something because this version of links is getting fairly dated as far as the rest of the net's engines go. It used to be top o the line when I first started using it about three years ago, not even yahoo could touch it features wise. Anyway, anyone interested in working on a links 3 or Links 3 php? Oh, and of course Alex I'd liked to have your permission before starting a port or any other large conversion.

Michael

Quote Reply
Oh yeh and on the note of Links SQL, I started my website because it's my hobby not my business so I don't have the hundreds of dollars to put into buying the SQL pumped up version although I'd like to have it. It's bad enouph I spend $15 a month on hosting my hobby that I run free advertising on for any related sites or sites I enjoy.

Micheal

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Anyway, anyone interested in working on a links 3 or Links 3 php?
I would check with Alex/Gossamer Threads before you venture into this project. Due to the license agreement, you would not be able to create another version of Links 2.0 without the explicit consent of Alex/Gossamer Threads.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Since when are hobbies cheap?? One way to look at it...$450 for the sql version is cheap....considering what you can do with it! As far as spending hundreds of dollars on a business........please let me know of a profitable business that you can start for a couple of hundred dollars?? I've spent thousands and thousands of dollars to start my business and contiue to spend money on it. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that for $200, links(non-sql) is a great deal---whether your using it for a hobbie or a business. Just a thought.

Quote Reply
Also, you would be entering a pretty crowded market. There are already many PHP and other scripts out there. Some cost $25,000, but many are open source.

I think Links 2.0 basic has plenty of life left in it:

- It does what it says, very well.
- It's easy to get started even if you've never heard of scripting before (as I hadn't).
- It's easy to customize.
- It's an excellent introduction to more advanced web activities.
- The static directory structure can actually help in building traffic (because it's spiderable).
- It's free to non profit making bodies.

- Paul

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Since when are hobbies cheap?? One way to look at it...$450 for the sql version is cheap....considering what you can do with it! As far as spending hundreds of dollars on a business........
I don't understand how (or even why) you're trying to justify me spending obscene ammounts of money on my spare time hobby by telling me you spend lots of money trying to start your business, I don't particularly have tons of cash to through away. Anywho...I don't think I have the time to do such a project as a conversion or a new engine such forget that idea anyways no point in debating something I'm not behind right?

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
- It does what it says, very well.
- It's easy to get started even if you've never heard of scripting before (as I hadn't).
- It's easy to customize.
- It's an excellent introduction to more advanced web activities.
- The static directory structure can actually help in building traffic (because it's spiderable).
- It's free to non profit making bodies.
All these things are true but other than the fact that you can modify it to an unbelievable point how does that mean that the base product has any more life in it?

Michael

Quote Reply
You don't understand? Well, then let me clarify for you!
In Reply To:
I started my website because it's my hobby not my business so I don't have the hundreds of dollars to put into buying the SQL pumped up version although I'd like to have it. It's bad enouph I spend $15 a month on hosting my hobby that I run free advertising on for any related sites or sites I enjoy.
Hmm....so, would you like the sql version for FREE? "It's bad enough" -----> translation (interpretation) ------->I'm already paying for something, so I don't want to pay for anything else.
In Reply To:
I don't understand how (or even why) you're trying to justify me spending obscene ammounts of money on my spare time hobby by telling me you spend lots of money trying to start your business
I wasn't justifing anything.......the fact I'm spending money is reality....everything costs money and I was simply pointing out that both versions cost money...and for what they offer, it's very little money. Regardless of whether it's a hobby or a business, it doesn't really matter, the products don't discriminate, they were still developed to be sold. After reading the post above it just reminded me of so many of the typical posts at this board. "Give me a FREE Ride, because I don't have money to spend". It's your hobby, not Alex's or anyone elses, so don't complain about having to spend money on it.....actually, I could really care less if you complain or not. Anyway, whatever.....I was just trying to make a point (great products, little money) on my previous post, I guess you missed it.

Quote Reply
I suppose the point I was trying to make is that in it's niche it is still ahead of anything else.

Personally, having just spent several hundred (hobby) hours beginning to build a new Links 2.0 database, I am on the verge of starting again with a different (open source) product which I only discovered today. This is probably not as good as Links 2.0 as a directory engine, but it has certain other features which I find desirable.

However, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Links 2.0 if someone told me they were struggling to maintain their links section by hand.

- Paul

Quote Reply
BTW- pain_angel, don't take my message as a personal attack against you....it was just a generalization. I didn't mean to get "off topic" of your original question...and appologize if that is what happened. I'm sure you will find someone who be interested in helping you add the desired features to links. Good luck.

Quote Reply
Acctually I have many things I have to swing around right now I'm just going to continue to use Links 2 because it's still the best, I was just saying it shouldn't be abandonded. Esspecially since it's how GT will get most purchasers of Links SQL is from Links 2 users. I realize the point of having to pay for Links SQL also but considering that SQL is the standard database system for php which is up and coming to potentially take a big part of the market from perl scripts a verison of Links that expensive that will eventually have cheaper php competition, is abandoning the free market scripts really that wise a move?

Michael

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
...is abandoning the free market scripts really that wise a move?
Uh...don't quite get your point...LINKS 2.0 IS NOT FREEWARE! It is SHAREWARE...read the terms of agreement. If you have not registered Links and paid a license for it, then you are abusing the Terms of Agreement.

By the looks of what you have posted, it looks like you are using Links 2.0 without registering it.

Anyway...GT is focusing on its more robust scripts at this time and there has been little to no indication that they will be dramatically upgrading Links 2.0 in the near future.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Php Version! In reply to
Greetings Pain_Angel!

As it has been said their are existing php versions out there already. DirtSearch which was bought up once before in the GT forums and here is a link to a group developing a php links engine. http://openlinks.linuxguru.net/support/forum/or check out the best site I have found for scripts http://www.hotscripts.com/. Look under Perl and PHP section for Links Indexing.

As a hobby site as well I know costs are an issue no matter what anyone states. The links SQL version in our currency is well over $1,000.00..

However for myself I have not yet found a Shareware links software that is as good as links2.

New Zealand Christian Internet Directory
Quote Reply
"- It's easy to get started even if you've never heard of scripting before (as I hadn't)."

I am in this situation: I know almost nothing about scripting and am trying to set up this program. But, I do not see how it is "easy" to get started!! The ReadMe file is designed for people who already know about setting up PERL programs and there are no beginner tutorial that I can find. I'm sure I'll essentially get it to work, but I doubt that it'll be easy.

Quote Reply
First, though it might take a little bit longer than an "automatic" script (one with an installer which sets everything up for you), you will soon realize how much "easier" Links is when you want to make your first change to the default appearance, or when you want to change the way xyz works.

Second, setting everything up and reading through the readme will give you a better idea of how it works and what everything does, so later you will be far ahead.

Quote Reply
I stumbled across the following today. I haven't looked in detail (yet), but it seems to offer pretty comprehensive textbook like coverage of not just Perl, but also ASP, DHTML, HTML, Flash, VRML, XML, CSS, CGI, Java, JavaScript, PHP, SSI, and much more. I thought it might be of interest...

http://www.stars.com/Authoring/Languages/

BTW - Beware, the Perl link goes to chapter 20 - but if you click the "The Perl You Need to Know" link, you'll find yourself at the start.

Best.

- Paul