Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Important question regarding Links

Quote Reply
Important question regarding Links
I want to be able to set up Links to sort based on two different sets of categories. For example, let's say I have the following sets of categories:

Set #1:
-Windows 95
-Windows 98
-Windows NT
-Windows 2000

Set #2:
-Articles
-Utilities
-Downloads
-Help

Here's the problem. I want a person to be able to search by OS or by type of resource. Essentially two different directories where each resource can be a "Windows 98 Utility" or a "Windows NT Article", etc.Is there anyway to do this with Links???
Quote Reply
Re: Important question regarding Links In reply to
DBMAN may be your better answer...

For example...you could set up a field called OS, then another field called Resources.

DBMAN is a better database program than LINKS...However, with some tweaking you could possibly use LINKS. However, in terms of the search requirements you have...DBMAN may be better.

My recommendation is to look at the various Sites in Action for both programs and see what you like the best.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply

Quote:
How do I associate a specific icon with a certain type of link?

Search the forums! This has been discussed NUMEROUS times in the Modification and Discussion Forums for LINKS!

BTW: There are wonderful resources, including Modifications and FAQs in the Resource Center! That is the first place to check before posting questions! Click on the Resource Center link at the top left corner of the Forum's Home Page!

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center

[This message has been edited by AnthroRules (edited March 04, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Another brainstorm I had last night was the following. Rather than recategorizing all of my resources twice, I could just sort them by one category. Then what I could do is associate an icon with each resource telling what "type" it was. I have two follow-up questions in that regard:

1. Is it possible to associate an icon with a link, signifying for instance, this is a news article, this is a video, etc.?

2. Any way to allow peole to be able to sort a bunch of links in a category based on the type (i.e. based on the icon)?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
1) Yes.

2) Not out of the box...But there are some code hacks that allows people to sort by fields in the links database. And not very easy to implement for novice Perl Programmers. DBMAN allows more flexibility in terms of sorting fields.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
New to the forums and must say one quick thing: AnthroRules Rules! Also, thanks to Mr. Kaplan for answering some ???'s too.

One quick follow-up. How do I associate a specific icon with a certain type of link?

Thanks.