Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

How to password protect

Quote Reply
How to password protect
How do you password protect the admin.cgi? Do you need a special program or script, or is there a simple way?
Quote Reply
Re: How to password protect In reply to
If you are on a system that uses Apache as the web server, you can do it using the .htaccess/.htpasswd files. Your ISP should have information on how to do that.

I hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Okay, I went to 3rd party link in the resource center to get one (the german site) and did everything. But when I tried to open the admin folder, the password protect wouldn't allow me in even though I know that it was the right password and name. Now, on Fetch, the .htaccess file doesn't show up. How can I get rid of it, or solve the problem?
Quote Reply
.htaccess should show up in most FTP programs. However, I believe that in Fetch, "hidden" files do not show up. You may have to access your account via telnet to delete the file.

Also, password protection can be done on NT (similar to .htaccess) by using O'Reilly's WebSite1.1 Server. However, it is up to your ISP to set that program up on their physical server and also they will have to set-up a redirection in IIS to a password protected directory in O'Reilly. Unfortunately, most ISPs do not want to go this extra step. But it is possible to set-up password protection similar to .htaccess in NT.

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
Thanks for responding so quickly. The solution was just going under the Fetch menu "Remote" and selecting Delete Directory or File. You can then enter in the file to delete. However, now admin is not protected. Are there other programs on the net that you know of which generate the code for this?