Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden

Quote Reply
HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden
Hi,

I just downloaded the Links version 2 today to try it out.. I think I have almost everything installed properly, I can create categories and links, but it seems like it's not building any pages even though it says it is. I can't find them on the server after creation, and I keep getting the HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden error.

Also, are there supposed to be some type of template files or folders included with the initial package? If so, I don't have any.

If anyone knows what the problem most likely is, please get back to me.

Thanks,

Dave

[This message has been edited by ddenham (edited March 10, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Re: HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden In reply to
You have not copied the complete codes from the Build All screen...Please copy the complete codes and post them in this Topic.

REgards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Eliot,

Thanks for all your help, but unfortunately I'm still unable to get it working and keep getting the same error. When it goes to "Build All", a response comes back, but then it's like it's not really doing anything... and it doesn't create any files in any directory...

This is what comes out of the Build All function:

Links Manager: Building Pages
Building Pages
Pages built on 11-Mar-2000 at 14:16:45
--------------------------------------------------------

Backing up database . . .
Backup exists for today.. Skipping
Done.

Building URL Index . . .
Done.

Updating New and Popular Records . . .

[This message has been edited by ddenham (edited March 11, 2000).]
Quote Reply
With the Forbidden Problem...

You need to build your pages outside of the /cgi-bin/ directory.

Like the following:

<ROOT>/links/pages/

NOT

<ROOT>/cgi-bin/links/pages/

With the templates, you should've gotten them in the .zip file. Look in the /admin/ folder.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Thanks for getting back to me.

I have the pages directory setup just like you said, in the main directory and not the CGI directory. I have all everything pointing to the right location, but i am still getting the same error when I try to go to the page.

My templates files and folder is all straightened out too. It seems like it simply doesn't create any pages when I select build all, even though it says it does.

Thanks,

Dave

Quote Reply
Here are some more things to check:

1) Make sure that you have not inadvertantly put codes in your .htaccess file that is forbidding access.

2) Make sure that you have the correct tag for the .css files in your template files:

Code:
<%css%>

NOT

Code:
<%build_root_url%>/<%css%>

3) Make sure that you have not password protected your links/pages directories.

4) Make sure that you have changed the permission of the /links/pages/ in your server to 777 (rwxrwxrwx).

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center

[This message has been edited by AnthroRules (edited March 11, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Building Pages
Pages built on 12-Mar-2000 at 08:04:10

Backing up links, category and email database (File::Copy) ...
Done.

Building URL Index . . .
Done.

[This message has been edited by ddenham (edited March 12, 2000).]
Quote Reply
NO! I did not say the nph-build.cgi script...I MEANT the screen that appears when you CLICK ON THE BUILD ALL link.

* DEEP SIGH *

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Eliot,

What I've posted already is all that appears when I click "Build All" Nothing else happens or appears, and nothing is created in any directory on the server.
Quote Reply
I'm terribly sorry I didn't understand what you asked Eliot. Here is the exact output that appears on the screen after build all is clicked:

Building Pages
Pages built on 12-Mar-2000 at 08:04:10

Backing up links, category and email database (File::Copy) ...
Done.

Building URL Index . . .
Done.

That stuff above appears almost immediately after clicking, and the IE logo spins for quite awhile sometimes, but nothing more appears or happens, and eventually it stops spinning and nothing new appears after what I showed you above. And it doesn't create one single page anywhere on the server.

Everything else seems to work, I can create, edit, and delete categories and links with no problem, but when it goes to build, it doesn't do anything, and I keep getting the same error when I go to "Home Page" because it's not creating pages.

One more note: Everything seems to work in the administration except for everything in the "Building" Menu. I hope this helps you understand what the problem is better. Thanks for all the help.

Take care,

Dave

Quote Reply
UGH...again that is not all the codes I am looking for. I am specifically looking for a complete build report that appears after clicking on the Build All link, so that I can if and when the build process stops and to see where there might be a problem with certain categories.

Since you have refused to do this...here are my last set of suggestions:

1) Click on the Check Cat link. Then fix your categories if there are problems.

2) Make sure that you have changed the <ROOT>/links/pages to 777 (rwxrwxrwx). And also make sure that you have set this same permission for the Cool, New and Ratings directory under the /links/pages/.

Best of luck.

I have provided you all the suggestions I can think of and without seeing the Build All screen, I cannot help you any more.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Well, the problem then is permissions of your directories as I have already specified.

DOUBLE check all your directory and file permissions per written in the README file!

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center