Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Double rating?

Quote Reply
Double rating?
Hello,
I have two rpblems:
1 - people can rate every link only for one time, okay? Well, when i refresh (=build all) the database, they can rate again the same links (so every link owner gives 10.000 times ten to his/her link...)!!!
2 - the "what's cool" system has crashed! I set popular_cutoff = 10, but the result is that every link with 3 hits appears like "cool"?!?!
What can I do?

Quote Reply
Re: Double rating? In reply to
In Reply To:
1 - people can rate every link only for one time, okay? Well, when i refresh (=build all) the database, they can rate again the same links (so every link owner gives 10.000 times ten to his/her link...)!!!
Right...that is how Links 2.0 works. When you re-build ALL the rate files in the ratings directory are deleted, meaning that people can vote on the Links again.

In Reply To:
2 - the "what's cool" system has crashed! I set popular_cutoff = 10, but the result is that every link with 3 hits appears like "cool"?!?!
What do you mean crash??? What number did you set that variable before you changed it to 10?

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thanks Eliot for your answer.

1 - I know how links works. I saw your mod (rate log), but - please excuse me - it was not so exciting: you have to put every ip manually!!! So I create a new little mod and now it works fine. Simply, to prevent double rating, I make a new directory in cgi-bin/links/admin/data/ratings, called "not". You know that logs are temporaly stored in ".../data/ratings"... Well now the script save a copy of them in ".../data/ratings/not". The program doesn't delete them all when refreshing, so when you vote, the script looks in ".../data/ratings" and in ".../data/ratings/not". If you have already voted, your new vote is not taken, else it is added. Easy and fine, don't you think?

2 - Well, the standard popular cutoff is 0.03 (I believe..). I simply changed it into 10 (as the comment line says...). But the result is not a "fixed value" (= top 10 visited links)... the result is a total messy!!! Links width 3 hits are marked as "pop". In this messy I simply cutted the "pop" marker =( but - naturally - this is not a solution of the problem!

Regards

Meneceo

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
1 - I know how links works. I saw your mod (rate log), but - please excuse me - it was not so exciting: you have to put every ip manually!!! So I create a new little mod and now it works fine. Simply, to prevent double rating, I make a new directory in cgi-bin/links/admin/data/ratings, called "not". You know that logs are temporaly stored in ".../data/ratings"... Well now the script save a copy of them in ".../data/ratings/not". The program doesn't delete them all when refreshing, so when you vote, the script looks in ".../data/ratings" and in ".../data/ratings/not". If you have already voted, your new vote is not taken, else it is added. Easy and fine, don't you think?
Fine...so you hacked a modification to suit your purposes. What is your complaint????

In Reply To:
Well, the reason is that when you changed it from .03 to 10, the view of COOL links OF COURSE will change. You lost me...don't know what your problem is.

Good luck with finding solutions!

Regards,

Eliot Lee