Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Does verify links work for anyone?

Quote Reply
Does verify links work for anyone?
I have been searching this entire BBS for a solution to the verify links problem and noticed that a few people have simply given up on this feature because of lack of response from the "powers that be". I would like to know if verify works for anyone out there for more than 200 links.

I want to purchase several sql versions for my clients, however the lack of support for what I consider to be an integral feature of the software concerns me greatly, esp considering the additional cost of the sql version.

Even a response of "we're aware of the problem and are working on it" would be preferable to no acknowledgment. BTW, I have tried every fix suggested in this entire BBS for the verify problem and still cannot get it to work from the browser.
Quote Reply
Re: Does verify links work for anyone? In reply to
If it's that important to you, and you are curious about the SQL version, which is a complete (pretty complete) rewrite, why not email Alex directly?

It's easy to miss any specific message in the forum, and I don't remember seeing anything about validate not working for over 200 links before... so maybe I'm not the only one who's missed your post.

Scott
Quote Reply
Thank you, I took your advice and have emailed Alex directly. BTW, I am refering to the "verify links" NOT "validate links".

Does verify links work for you in 2.0 or in the SQL version?

[This message has been edited by mactelesis (edited July 16, 1999).]
Quote Reply
I enter all my links through the admin, and rarely need to check it, but I'm just touching 200 entries in the database, and you said the problem was over 200.

It runs through my links pretty quickly, without any errors, but they are all 'internal' *not* external (ie: http://url).

I'll know in a week or so if it handles 200-300 entries Smile

I've been waiting for the SQL version before putting too much on-line, in case I had to re-enter them.
Quote Reply
It works, period Smile

I just ran it at my site (UNIX/Sun/Apache). It took 315 seconds to check 369 links (the program stated). I got a nice summary of bad links (phew, there were quite a few).

I'm using the standard Links 2.0 version.

A for problems with verification, I suspect most of the problems people have are due to problems with their Perl, not Links. Verification is based on the LWP module, which is a rather complex thing, I understand. Many ISPs simply don't support the LWP module.

Which Perl version do you use? I've understood there can be problems with version earlier than 5.004.

John
Quote Reply
gotze,
I am NOT using the LWP module and am therefore dependent upon the socket method, which hasn't worked for me. Any ideas, beyond getting my ISP to add the LWP module?
Quote Reply
Sorry, no idea Frown

Look in the Perl/CGI forum - there is a discussion about alternatives to LWP.