Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

A Newbie with a question ..

Quote Reply
A Newbie with a question ..
Hi,

I'm new to links, seems like an awesome program. Especially cause Alex is letting us poor non profit guys use this fine program.

My question is regarding duplicate websites .. what happens if you are using a web spider and you are getting duplicate pages i.e ..
www.hypermart.com/index1.html, www.hypermart.com/index2.html, etc ...

How does links handle this ??
Should I go through the db file and manually take these out? Doesn't this screw up the numerical order of the "links".

Thanks ..

T
Quote Reply
Re: A Newbie with a question .. In reply to
Tawab.

I am not sure I follow what and how are you using the spider.

And do you mean links added are duplicated which can't happen because you would check for duplicate links when you validate in admin. Could you explain yourself a bit more and we may be able to help.

------------------
tassie
webmaster@scriptfarm.com
www.scriptfarm.com
Quote Reply
Perhaps I do not fully understand the overall "validation" of Links. I am using Innerprise Web Spider URL Pro to output links into a .db file, in the links.db file I see a lot of the same websites with different extensions (www.com/1.html,www.com/2.html), will Links do something to get rid of these duplicate sites ???

Thanks

Tawab
Quote Reply
No, Links will not do anything to get rid of those duplicate links. Links isn't designed to work with a spider that way. Links is designed for people to add links to it and for the webmaster/admin person to manually validate the links before adding them to links.db.

Whenever someone adds a link, it goes into a validate.db database. If someone modifies a link, it goes into the modify.db database. On the Admin Screen, the "Validate" option will allow you to approve or reject any adds or modifies. Those you approve are moved from validate.db or modify.db to links.db. The others are deleted (if rejected). Then, when you rebuild the pages, Links updates everything with the new or modified links.

I hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Oh I see! But the web spider does play an intricate part since it makes the job easier of finding some of these links. But I guess we humans have got to do some work to, by validating the links and making sure of no duplicates.

Thanks for the help.