Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

working off-line

Quote Reply
working off-line
Hello everybody!
Can anybody tell me if I can build the Links2 DB off-line.

Quote Reply
Re: working off-line In reply to
If you download the following applications:

1) Ximati or Apache for Win32 web servers
2) Perl 5.00503 (from http://www.activestate.com)

Then you can build your directory locally and then FTP the files to your web server....although in terms of bandwidth...this would be more intensive. In terms of CPU usage, building directly in your server is more intensive.

Just trade-offs to consider....

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Thank you AnthroRules
I actually downloaded apache for windows and installed it but I still don't know how to benefit from it.
Please help.

Quote Reply
Uh...you also need to install Perl from ActiveState in order to execute Perl scripts like Links 2.0. Then all you have to do is connect to your local stand-alone web server to TEST scripts and BUILD your directory. Execute the scripts the same as you would with your virtual server account.

Do you understand now???

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Ready to take off In reply to
Thank you Eliot for your help.
I infact saw the activeperl a newer version that the one you told me about because I didn't encounter it in site.
I installed both apache and perl on my operating system windows2000 so what is the next step.
I think I have to make a copy of my links2.0 software from my cgi-bin directory in the my remote server to the local cgi-bin in the apache to continue my work off-line. Is it right?
Please help.
Regards;

wewe

Quote Reply
Re: Ready to take off In reply to
Well, I recommended 5.0053 because that is the minimal version that Links 2.0 will work with...check the product information page. You could download 5.006 which is the current version, although I am aware that a few Links users have experienced problems with the new Time::Local package that does not seem to work well with the date routines in the links.cfg file...so, I would recommend downloading the earlier version, then if you want at a later time, you could upgrade to the newest version.

In Reply To:
I think I have to make a copy of my links2.0 software from my cgi-bin directory in the my remote server to the local cgi-bin in the apache to continue my work off-line. Is it right?
Correct...and you will also have to set permissions on all the cgi scripts and data files and directories. Refer to the Links 2.0 Installation - Windows Forum where you should post future questions about installing Links in a Windows server...since you are dealing with installation issues at this point...not customization.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Re: Ready to take off In reply to
I appreciate your help and concern.
I'll do what you've advised me.
I'll contact you later with the result.
Bye!

wewe