Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

rewrite rule for dynamic to static url

Quote Reply
rewrite rule for dynamic to static url
Hi Folks.

I've tried searching the forum (and lots of other places) but not having much luck.

I'm looking for a way to use the htaccess mod rewrite rule so that links in dynamic mode can have its urls converted to static paths in such a way it works for all the cgi's links 2 uses and is friendly to spiders.

I've been studying up on the rewrite rule for htaccess but I cant get my head round it.

Has anyone done this or can anyone show me the right stuff to put in the htaccess to acheive this?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: [roman365] rewrite rule for dynamic to static url In reply to
That would be done via an Apache directive, so the best place to start reading is the documentation at the Apache Server site.

I'm not sure if - or how - the script itself would need modifying though, it's not something I've tried (I've just seen it mentioned in the Apache docs).

Good luck.

Last edited by:

wysardry: Jun 13, 2002, 5:31 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [wysardry] rewrite rule for dynamic to static url In reply to
Thanks.

I'm fairly sure its possible but I'm not 100% sure about how to go about it.

This site at this url represents similar to what I'm thinking of :

http://www.thesitewizard.com/.../dynamicstatic.shtml

I like the look of this very much for running a dynamic links but having it use search engine friendly urls.

I'm mainly unsure about the exact lines to use in the htaccess to be compatible with links 2, specifically the structuring of the htaccess ines and would one rewite rule work for all the different cgi files links calls for different functions.