Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

make "index" page on site root, and make categories in folder called links....

Quote Reply
make "index" page on site root, and make categories in folder called links....
Hi can someone help me with this:

Currently my setup is like this:

domain root/links/index.html
domain root/links/Categories

I want to make it like this:

domain root/index.html
domain root/links/Categories

What modifications do I need to make this happen. If I change the config file, it will create the categories folder off of the root too. But, what I want is to keep the category folders off of folder called "links" but have the script make the "index" page as my home page...off of the domain root.

Thankx
Quote Reply
Re: [NeedHelpNow] make "index" page on site root, and make categories in folder called links.... In reply to
If you have a look in the resources section of this site you should find instructions on doing this.

However, it depends on your ISP's setup, as I couldn't get that to work. However, there is a work around. If you use a redirection script you can make people think that they are on your main page, when in fact they are @ yourdomain.com/links
Blacknight Solutions - Hosting
Search.ie
Armchair.ie
Quote Reply
Re: [NeedHelpNow] make "index" page on site root, and make categories in folder called links.... In reply to
If you have access to public_html (or whatever it is called on your server), and can CHMOD it to 777, then there should be no problem creating the files in the root of your site.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [blacknight] make "index" page on site root, and make categories in folder called links.... In reply to
>>However, it depends on your ISP's setup, as I couldn't get that to work. <<

Hmm how about just editing the build_home_page() routine in nph-build.cgi Cool

open (HOME, ">$build_root_path/$build_index") or &cgierr ("unable to open home page: $build_root_path/$build_index. Reason: $!");

Last edited by:

RedRum: Feb 2, 2002, 2:27 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] make "index" page on site root, and make categories in folder called links.... In reply to
If you chmod 777 your root folder you might be creating a security risk.

I use a redirect script that simply passes any requests for / to /links
Blacknight Solutions - Hosting
Search.ie
Armchair.ie
Quote Reply
Thanks everyone.

I love all the ideas everyone gave. Specially the one RedRum gave as it was exactly what I was looking for.

thankx Smile