Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

User Database...

Quote Reply
User Database...
Links 2.0
------------

OK - There has to be a user database mod... and I have decided to do it. Heres what I have been thinking of doing anyway - please give me feedback before I get too far Smile

* Each profile has a page dedicated to them automatically build when the build all is done...

* Admin approval... (do you want it???)

* Intergration with widgetz review mod

* Be able to upload a photo ( this might not come with it, but I want to do it... )

* Of course the profile page will have the persons name, email etc... and I might do what cgi-resources has done and let you see all the reviews that that person has made... might be a but hard for me.

* Some people might want it to work with the UBB - I won't be able to do that... but when I finish it someone with the UBB might make the hack Smile.

* The scrit will be freeware/shareware, to use it you have to leave the copyright and ad down the bottom... or you can pay $X.XX for it ( The ad won't be any longer then the UBB's one though )

Please give feedback... Any help would be appreciated :-)

I have only written about 5 Perl scripts in my life... mailing lists and other simple things, so the code might be a bit messy.

[This message has been edited by Michael_Bray (edited August 30, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Re: User Database... In reply to
my user database is almost done.. fyi

it incluedes major secure login.. (uses ip.. if they have a dynamic ip they can use cookies)..

and then it has sessions.. so they don't have to logon for everything.. and it automatically logs them off..

jerry
Quote Reply
oh yea.. btw.. it will be integrated with my administration mod.. Wink (the thing that costed $200+ but now is going to be free..)

anyways.. did i mention they have to login to add/modify? Smile

jerry
Quote Reply
OK then - I'll skip the userdatabase and make an advertising script that will intergrate will links and allow SSI calls etc on CGI pages, and some pretty neat stats Smile Hopefully Jerry hasn't already started this one.

------------------
Michael Bray
www.webbhostarea.com
michael@webhostarea.com

Quote Reply
So, Jerry, you are giving away your admin mod? Is that the admin mod that allows others to login and have set permissions on what they can edit?

------------------
-----------------
Lavon Russell
LookHard! Search
http://lh.hypermart.net
webmaster@lh.hypermart.net

Quote Reply
Do you know around when you might release the admin mod, and is it going to cost anything. This is exactly what I need.
Thanks.
-Greg
Quote Reply
dunno when.. not in awhile is all i can say.. school started today.. and this weekend and next weekend i will be out

it's not going to be the same admin mod.. it should be better...

jerry
Quote Reply
I understand, I too have school starting this week so I was trying to get some things done ahead of time. Thanks anyway.
-Greg
Quote Reply
i haven't even touched my code today.. geez.. i better remember perl Smile

anyways.. the next "free" time i am aware of is SUNDAY... the 12th.. hehe

maybe not...

jerry
Quote Reply
Has this ever become reality?

Adam
Quote Reply
Nope...not for LINKS 2.0.

There are some code hacks for SQL that creates user tables.

But for a flat file system...it would be quick chunky and cumbersome.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
My review.php mod comes with a user table in the SQL database. It'll allow you to see all the posts by that user etc, and I plan to use it for mods in the future.

I really need to put some work into that side of it... I have been having some problems with it since I included the User Table, but its almost worked out.

------------------
Michael Bray
Review your webhost or find a new one.
www.webhostarea.com
Links SQL User
------------------