Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Span Pages Mod Finally!!

Quote Reply
Span Pages Mod Finally!!
Hello. I was waiting for the span pages mod to come out but it never did so I did it.

Span Pages allows an altavista tool bar.
[<<]1 2 3 4 5 [>>]

You can customize it to look the way you want.

Again, in return for the mod, I request that you review your webhost.

For those of you who have already downloaded the Review Mod and Password mod, you can just use your userid and email address. Note, I have erased the invalid reviews from the database.

For more information, see the Links resources site for this mod or go directly to
http://hostglobal.com/scripts/spanpages.shtml

Kevin
Hostglobal.com
Web Host Directory
Quote Reply
Re: Span Pages Mod Finally!! In reply to
It's a good thing that you came up with a mode but why do you make people go through so many steps that only benefit you (basically making people work for your site) to get the mod.

If you made it, just post it and ask people to review something.

------------------
Greg L
gregl@email.com
www.GLdev.com

Quote Reply
I also agree with the past two comments about the tasks in getting this mod. First the add form displays only a couple of required form fields but when you submit, it spurts out that other required fields are blank, yet another click.

So I finally added my web hosting services and now I have to wait a few days to review my own listing, which involves yet another form to fill in to register for the reviews section.

Of course I will give an unbiased review of my own web hosting services :-) so this should be useful info for those looking for the most fantastic, best, excellent, fast, web hostings services in the netherlands.

I wonder what the value of the webhost listings will be if people enter info just to get the pain of filling in forms and the waiting over - in the minimal possible time?

While I respect the author in trying to get something in return for his work, I only wonder if he can make the task a bit more less time consuming!

------------------
Webmaster@spreester.com
www.spreester.com
exposing amsterdam's A2000 people...
Quote Reply
Above comments acknowledged. I have modified the review mod so that you only have to enter a Review without registering with the forum and once you have done that, you can fill in you name and email for the mod.

If you feel the mods that I have provided are not worth your time in reviewing your host, please do not do so. I have spent a lot of time with these mods and feel that it is a fair compensation for my time.

As a result, I will not bother to post any further mods for Links unless there is a strong request for it.

Kevin Ham
Quote Reply

Quote:
If you feel the mods that I have provided are not worth your time in reviewing your
host, please do not do so.

How can we 'feel' if the mod is worth downloading, if we FIRST have to review something before we can 'see and feel' the modification.

The normal way would be, offer a download location and the ask for a review.
...and ONLY in that order!!!
Quote Reply
I'm glad people agreed with me on this one. Smile

------------------
Greg L
gregl@email.com
www.GLdev.com

Quote Reply
Well, if you want to see and feel what I have done, why not just look at the directory pages at
http://hostglobal.com/links/Web_Hosts/Virtual

If you don't want to incorporate it into your site, then that is your choice. I am not asking for money. Just some of your time for the time I've spent.

I hope you don't take it personally. I do post these mods so that others can use them, but if you've ever posted a mod, it does take time to prepare and sort out the quirks.
It's a world of give and take and not just take.

Good luck.

Kevin Ham
Quote Reply
kevinhost and others,

I haven't yet checked out the mod, but it sounds promising. Regarding the hassle of filling out the forms, it does sound like a bit much. But that in no way gives any of us the right to call the author selfish for asking no money in return! It's our choice whether or not to jump through the hoops. Who's being selfish here? Let's be thankful for the time kevinhost spent on a mod many people have asked for.

Dan
Quote Reply
kevinhost,

do you know how it would be possible to add a "jump to" box like your "go" at the top of the page using cgi? It would read what categories you have and put them in there -
Quote Reply
Sure. You could just use a ready made script like ClickGo

http://www.staff.net/cgi-scripts/

and enter the information for each select option or you could modify it so that it reads the categories in categories.db .

The easiest would be to just input it if you don't want to program.

Hope that helps.
Quote Reply
It realy inpossible to get the mod, first you have to register, than review, and then download. Why all this trouble?

You're being a little bit selfish!
Quote Reply
Why all the hoops to jump through, only to find out that I must do all this hand editing of the nph_build.cgi file.
Why not make the nph_build.cgi file, the one that is modified, available for downloading, so that those of us who have not already modified that particular file (like ourselves), can just download it, and upload it to our servers.
This might have been made our hoop jumping worthwhile, but after all those tricks that we have to perform to get the mod, I'm too tired to do any hand coding, perhaps some other week.
Thanks anyway, I do still appreciate that you have made this mod, and made it available to the public, although I think just allowing people to download it without having to review a host is better, and then offer them the opportunity to review their host. Forcing them is wrong and should be heavily discouraged. I realize that you wish to build up your database of reviews, but I honestly don't think this is the correct way of doing it.
What if I was to force every user to our site, to add a site to our links database, whether or not it was theirs, would I come back to this site, Nope, can't say that I would.
Good luck either way, and if you make that nph_build.cgi file available for download, please let us know, again, we don't feel like hand editing this into the file when you've already done it and have it readily available.

------------------
Regards,
Visionary
Quote Reply
I have no problem with what Kevin is asking for. He has only made it so no one downloads without entering a review. If given the option, I am pretty sure most of us would just download the mod and not show up there again. Frankly, why would we? I don't think he is asking for much at all. Although, I know for a fact that most of the people have written reviews for hosts they haven't even heard of. But let him decide how he wants to handle that.

Those of you who are complaining are asking him to just give it away and not even respecting him for all the time and effort he put in to making it. As far as all the trouble goes, you should only download it if you think it is worth it. Obviously, you wouldn't download it, if you think it is not useful for you anyway.

Spreester,

I wonder what the value of the webhost listings will be if people enter info just to get the pain of filling in forms and the waiting over - in the minimal possible time?
======
I totally agree with you. In my opinion a good percentage of the reviews in there are useless and fake. But on the other hand, his site would never have anything useful for another year if he is going to wait for everyone to show up there voluntarily.

As far as I am concerned, you don't like it, you don't use it, exactly the same way you won't buy something, if it's not worth it. It's a fair trade. That is just my opinion.
Quote Reply
Let me be more detailed - The link for [<<] is directed to Page2 still and not back to the index page.

Thanks mike

P.S. it works fine on the search pages. just not in the Categories.
Quote Reply
I think those of you who are complaining about kevin's procedures are the selfish ones. the guy creates a mod (3 at that) that will benefit most links users and you can't review a host listed on his site. why don't you guys create your own mod that you won't have to review a host on someone's site. that way their is no problem.
he made a mod that he worked really hard on that i liked (not this one)..and I don't want it for free..i will do a service in exchange for his efforts. why should he feel like making a mod ever again if people complain when he asks that you review a host on his site. i don't get it.

bye
Quote Reply
This is a great mod, but I ran into some problems. Links build the next span at the bottom of the page as followings.

[2]

and would I click on it, I get redirected to Page 2 correctly. But, When I go down to the bottom of page two:

[<<] 2 [>>]

and click the page pres. - it doesn't work.
Quote Reply
There are certainly a lot of different opinions and that's what makes us all unique as individuals. I'd like to thank those who have offered words of support.

For BigMikeY, the index page should actually show the rest of the pages as linked numbers.
eg 2 3 4 5 6 7
Each linked page then should have the rest of the pages linked.
eg. If you pressed 2 above you will get
[<<] 2(unlinked) 3 4 5 6 7 [>>]

I've made it so that [<<] is page 2 and [>>] is the last page. I guess I should make [<<] point to the index page. Just a slight modification.

Find the line
$prev .= qq~ <a href="$url\more2$build_extension">[<<]</a> ~;

Change it to
$prev .= qq~ <a href="$url">[<<]</a> ~;

That should make the [<<] point to the index page of that category.

Quote Reply
I haven't downloaded this yet (but I will...and I don't mind reviewing my host). Quick question while its in my head:

Can the << and >> be made to link to the "previous page" and "next page" respectively? This would be more intuitive from a user pespective.

Quote Reply
Sure, I guess that makes more sense but you get all the links anyways.

You just have to change the hyperlink to reflect where you want [<<] and [>>] to link to.

eg.

$next .= qq~ <a href="$url\more$total_pages$build_extension">[>>]</a> ~;

If you want [>>] to link to the next page and not the very last page, just change it to

$next .= qq~ <a href="$url\more$next_page$build_extension">[>>]</a> ~;

For [<<] you would just change the $prev that contains [<<] to

$prev .= qq~ <a href="$url\more$prev_page$build_extension">[<<]</a> ~;

That's all.

Kevin