Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Review.cgi Request (suggestion)

Quote Reply
Review.cgi Request (suggestion)
I am wondering if you could figure out a way to modify Links 2 to give me a "Reviewers" link, a database of all those who've added reviews similar to that at Amazon. My intuition says this would probably have to be a link to a second Links 2 program containing only Reviewer data and forms for the reviewers to add and update their data.

Any ideas? Could somebody help me out here? I have the review.cgi mod already installed...

Quote Reply
Re: Review.cgi Request (suggestion) In reply to
I don't understand your request. Review.cgi already creates a separate database. You can use that database to create almost anytime of listing you want. I have hacked the nph-build.cgi script to build a New Review section in my site.

One suggestion is that you could copy the "Category" field into the lreview.db file after adding a new field called "Category" to your review.def file. Then use a separate nph-build.cgi file that builds another directory of "Reviews" based on Categories of links they have reviewed.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Basically I want a listing of people organized by who has the most links (sort of like the tree mod). Then you can click on their name and find all of their reviews.

Thanks.

Brian

Quote Reply
Couple suggestions...

1) Use the Link Tree Mod.
2) Use DBMAN (which has embedded codes for LISTING ALL, searching, and also sorting).

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Well, I figured the tree mod :) ...Which file(s) would be of use in DBMAN ?

I appreciate the help.

Brian

Quote Reply
The db.cgi script.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
I'm having trouble finding the display all codes - could you be of a bit more assistance yet?

Regards,
Brian

Quote Reply
Since you are using DBMAN...this request should be posted in the DBMAN Installation Forum...

Look in the FOOTER of the page that is created by DBMAN...there should be a link called List All.

Wink

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Oh ok, gotcha. Thanks.

Regards,
Brian

Quote Reply
You're welcome.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Good suggestion...I just got the Review Listings working in my site using the sub query routine in the db.pl file.

Check it out at:

http://vlib.anthrotech.com/...d&mh=25&ID=*

And I know..I know...The answer to the question,"Are you going to post this Mod?" is...Nope.

Sorry.

It is not an easy mod to install and entails creating a number of subs in the site_html_templates.pl and new template files.

But, thanks for the suggestion!

I actually saw a cool site that lists Reviews of DSL providers....

Check it out at:

http://www.dslreports.com/allreviews

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Eliot,
Thats a great mod! Since you're not going to post it - maybe could you just zip up the modified files and send them to me? I bet I could figure it out from there - and I wouldn't ask any questions about it to you. Pretty please... Smile

mjordn12@aol.com

Quote Reply
Sorry...I don't want to do that either...

But it is not hard to figure out if you have any experience with Perl and DBMAN.

Wink

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Ah well, I'm 0 for 2...Guess it's time to grab a few bags of chips and lock myself in the room until I figure it out...Usually only takes me a few weeks to figure this sorta stuff out Wink

You sure you want me to go through that? Even if I say pretty please with an anthropologist on top? Smile (can't blame a guy for trying, but this is my last attempt, I promise)...

Brian

Quote Reply
Sorry...it is best that you learn it on your own...a couple of hints:

1) You can use either the sub query in db.pl OR db.cgi in DBMAN...

2) Then you will need to include the other following subs:

a) sub view_records
b) all the sorting subs (like sub_ascend) taken from db.cgi

3) You will have to include the Required libraries from LINKS.

4) In the sub main routine, include conditional statements to call the sub view_records or failure sub-routine.

The tricky part will be coordinating the subs in the html.pl file into the site_html_templates.pl file.

HINT: I used the DBMAN TEMPLATE codes written by Tim Ryan to create the proper subs in the site_html_templates.pl file.

OR your other option is to install the complete DBMAN package, and use links.def rather than the default.cfg file. Then you will have to add the extra file configurations in the links.def file.

Good luck!

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
((gathering the chips and locking the door)) - Ok, thanks for your help. That should cut a week or so off of the time it takes me to get this right Wink. A few questions before I let you off the hook though. Smile

- Should I create a new cgi file with all this stuff in and then add the other stuff into the site_html_templates.pl file?

- How do I tell it to search the review database?

- Where are the DBMAN TEMPLATE codes by Tim Ryan located (URL)?

- Is this about how the sub main should look after you take it apart?

Code:
sub main {
# --------------------------------------------------------
$|++; # Flush Output Right Away

if ($status eq "ok") {

# Main Menu. Check to see what the user requested, then, if he has permission for that
# request, do it. Otherwise send the user off to an unauthorized request page.
if ($in{'view_records'}) { if ($per_view) { &view_records; } else { &html_unauth; } }

}
Thanks for the help. I appreciate it very much.

Brian

Quote Reply
In Reply To:

- Should I create a new cgi file with all this stuff in and then add the other stuff into the site_html_templates.pl file?
Yes.

In Reply To:
How do I tell it to search the review database?
You will have to add in your own search form in any of the template files using similar codes found (MANY times) in the DBMAN Customization Forum for External Search Forms -OR- like I have done...link the query string.

In Reply To:
Where are the DBMAN TEMPLATE codes by Tim Ryan located (URL)?
Search the DBMAN Customization Forum.

In Reply To:
Is this about how the sub main should look after you take it apart?
Close...but you have no else reference to call the failure sub.

These are really DBMAN issues and should be posted in the DBMAN Customization Forum. I betcha you can find all the pieces of the puzzle by first searching the DBMAN Customization Forum.

Wink

Regards,

Eliot Lee