Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

webring mod

Quote Reply
webring mod
Hi!
After yahoo killed my webring, I decided to add webring-functionality to Links! But I'm not sure how to do this. (All would be more easy, if I could use mySQL... but I can't afford mySQL-Links.) At the moment I still working on the concept. What I would do is:

add a new field to links.db:
ring: value 0: is not ringmember
value 1: is ringmember, waiting for approvel
value 2: is active ringmember

changing nph-build.cgi to do following things:
- write a url-list of all active ringmembers in the form ID|URL for use with a modified jump.cgi.
- build pages with ringmembers listed on in /webring

changing add.cgi and modifiy.cgi
they had to ask for ringmembership too!

creating a modified jump.cgi (called ring.cgi) for
ringnavigation (prev, next, rand) using the url-list
build in nph-build.cgi

creating a ring_validate.cgi for validating new ringsites.

It doesn't seems to hard, to do this! But I had several problems:

It don't seems easy to separate links-administration and ring-administration
ring_validate.cgi has to parse to db-files: validate.db and links.db (and it had to add new sites into links.db)

My first solution would be, only allow active links-sites to get ring-members...

What do you think, can this be done? (Has someone done this before? A quick search in this forum doesn't bring up something useful! The webring-mod in the resource-center only links the detail-pages, not the sites itself!)

Bye and thanks
Tiggr

Quote Reply
update: webring mod In reply to
Hi!
I've just started doing this! Sees more easy, then I thought about! Thats, the status of my work:

add a new field to links.db: DONE (very easy, thanks to Gossamer Threads great links.def)

changing nph-build.cgi to do following things:
- write a url-list of all active ringmembers: DONE
- build pages with ringmembers listed on in /webring: DONE

This was very easy... someone interesset in doing the admin-stuff? ;-)

Bye
Tiggr

Quote Reply
Re: webring mod In reply to
Hi!
I've done this webring-mod! And it starts to work for me! (At the moment there are only 3 sites in the ring, and I didn't made the ring public!) Anybody interested in this mod? (Have a look at http://larp-welt.de/webring to see it in action, sorry, only in german!)

But there are still some problems: There is still no admin-interface, I use the normal admin-functions for it!

What I realy need is a good idea, how I can keep ring- and links-administration separeted without messing around with two databases, wich I had to keep synchonized...

Bye
Tiggr

Quote Reply
Wow, you offering the webring to us, I'd be interested if you don't mind posting a download page when you're finished with your mod

good luck with your mod ... even if you don't post it
Quote Reply
Hi

I will setup a download-page, if I know, all things work fine...

Tiggr

Quote Reply
Hi!
Now my webring is working (with just 8 sites for testing). It has no admin-frontend, but Administration can be well done with the normal admin-functions of links 2.0!

But it is very difficult to me, to put up a description, what must be changed in which way, because I had many mods in my links before! Would it be useful, if I take a snapshot of my complete links 2.0-system, and put it somewhere for download?

There are many mods in it:
- Subcat-display
- 3 levels of new & update
- external ratings
- ratings and cool-links on one page
- hacked jumped.cgi
- coolness measured in hits/day
- add confirm
- catagory select list mod
- expirator
- "userfriendly admin screen"
- broken links log
- link back checker
- newsletter per cron
- webring
- bulkload
- view validated/modified links
- view number of newslettersubscribers
- edit newslettersubscribers
- last link
- review it
- recommend it
- submit broken link
- enhanced templates
- password modify
- send password
- comment at add
- icons-mod
- integration with WebAdverts 2.14

(Perhabs this Links 2.0 want work out of the box...)

What do you think, should I upload a snapshot, or would this be useless to others?

Bye
:-) Tiggr

Quote Reply
Smile

I bet a lot of newbies would like, boy I wished you had offered this about 2 months ago, would've been great.

be fun just to browse through to see how so of the mods you have work that I don't.

Tiggr where in Germany are you from?

My parents are from Dresden and Leverkusen ....

Quote Reply
Hi!
>I bet a lot of newbies would like, boy I wished you had offered this about 2
>months ago, would've been great.
> be fun just to browse through to see how so of the mods you have work that I don't.

OK, I've put it up! U may get it under http://wwwisulizer.hypermart.net/...oads/lw-links.tar.gz. I've just made a tar.gz out of my working version. (I tried to remove all things, that aren't neccesary for links, and I also removed all things from my users (emails, urls, ...), and I hope there is no security related stuff in it. Please tell me, if there are passwords inside, or something like this...)

For banner-advertisment, U still need a version of WebAdverts (2.14).

Please don't use my templates on your site, I led them in, only as example, they are NOT free for your use!

Some of the mods inside may be from widget, and not allowed to distribute anymore. Please take account of this fact!

Some of the perl may be a dirty hack, but links was the programm I started with learning perl 2 years ago, and I'm still learning!

Don't hesitate to ask me about details...

> Tiggr where in Germany are you from?
> My parents are from Dresden and Leverkusen ....

I'm from Frankfurt at the river Main, where the famous "Citre" called "Äppler" comes from.

Bye
:-) Tiggr