Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

unique problem with special character mod

Quote Reply
unique problem with special character mod
I used the special character mod found on this BBS at www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/forum/resources/Forum3/HTML/001722.html . It works fine when building the pages, and it displays the catagory correctly on the built pages. But when I click the catagory say Arts & Humanities I get a DNS error. Catagories without a special character like the catagory Autos work fine, the link brings me to the correct page, no problem. I have searched the the BBS and found nothing like it. I checked the lines of code I changed and they are correct according to the page the mod was on, so I know there were no typos.
Any help/suggestions/solutions?
you can look for yourself at nofatals.addr.com/links/pages/index.html

Thanks for any help, its appreciated
Ian Galloway
igalloway@mediaone.net

[This message has been edited by Nofatals (edited January 28, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Re: unique problem with special character mod In reply to
You did mention in another Thread that you did not renew your domain name, right? Well, since you have not done that, what you may try doing is using your IP Address for your site rather than the domain in the $build_root_url variables in your links.cfg file.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. :)
----------------------

Quote Reply
Wow Eliot, that was a quick reply. Thank you. I will try that out and see if it works. Would you mind explaining how that problem could be happening, if you know that is.

Thanks again,
Ian Galloway
igalloway@mediaone.net

P.S. Is there something wrong with the BBS? I dont see any images.....

[This message has been edited by Nofatals (edited January 28, 2000).]
Quote Reply
The problem is that since you have not renewed your domain name, it cannot be found. I really do not know why we can access your main links page without any problems. But since you have domain name, and when you click on links in your directory, it redirects you to an unknown domain name...thus the DNS Entry Error.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
----------------------

Quote Reply
Well I can still access my site by using the url http://nofatals.addr.com that was the original site. Then i got the domain name. What I was wondering was why the special character mod was making the links (only the ones with special characters) direct me to a domain name that no longer exists? I never refered to it, so I am a bit confused. Again all links throughout my site work fine, with the exception of the links containing an ampersand. You can see for yourself at http://nofatals.addr.com

Thanks again Eliot you are a very helpful person,

Ian Galloway
igalloway@mediaone.net
Quote Reply
What I see at the address you recently provided is a blank screen in Netscape and MIE with only the following codes in the Source Code:

Code:
<html>
</html>

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Sorry, I forgot to finish the url try again http://nofatals.addr.com/links/pages/index.html
Quote Reply
I would uninstall the Special Characters and then re-install all the codes.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Do you mean to re-install the special character mod? Or do you mean to re-install the original code?
Quote Reply
I MEAN RE-INSTALL THE SPECIAL CHARACTER MOD!

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------