Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

stopped working???

Quote Reply
stopped working???
Help!!!

I've finally launched my newest additions and it was all working fine! I come back a couple days later to build all in order to update everything, but when I attempted to access the admin page, I got a cgi error???????

I've looked at everything I could think of, to include overwriting my backup copy of admin.cgi and the original version of admin.cgi from the zip file, but to no avail...

I've also tried deleting my links.def and category.def files and replacing them with the originals, and wiping out my data to the original blank files.

My other versions of links work fine....here is the error output:

CGI ERROR
==========================================
Error Message : fatal error: (Maybe you didn't strip carriage returns after a network transfer?)

Script Location : admin.cgi
Perl Version : 5.00404

Form Variables
-------------------------------------------

Environment Variables
-------------------------------------------
AUTH_TYPE : Basic
DOCUMENT_ROOT : /www/triplaza
GATEWAY_INTERFACE : CGI/1.1
HTTP_ACCEPT : */*
HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING: gzip, deflate
HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE: en-us
HTTP_AUTHORIZATION : Basic c3RpbHRvbjpEaWFtb25EMQ==
HTTP_CONNECTION : Keep-Alive
HTTP_COOKIE : MyMovie=Tx6xI; MyLinks=PH; MyGreetings=10xZx7x15x14xVxGxDx6x17
HTTP_HOST : www.triplaza.com
HTTP_USER_AGENT : Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.01; Windows NT 5.0)
PATH : /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
QUERY_STRING :
REMOTE_ADDR : 66.26.57.115
REMOTE_PORT : 1340
REMOTE_USER : stilton
REQUEST_METHOD : GET
SCRIPT_FILENAME : /www/triplaza/cgi-bin/links_Edesk/admin/admin.cgi
SCRIPT_NAME : /cgi-bin/links_Edesk/admin/admin.cgi
SERVER_ADMIN : webmaster@triplaza.com
SERVER_NAME : www.triplaza.com
SERVER_PORT : 80
SERVER_PROTOCOL : HTTP/1.1
SERVER_SOFTWARE : Apache/1.3.4 (Unix) FrontPage/4.0.4.3 PHP/3.0.14

Perl Hopefull
Quote Reply
Re: stopped working??? In reply to
You might want to go back and make sure that everything was uploaded in ascii mode and not binary.

Hope this helps! Smile

Jeremy Kerr
http://www.indianawebsites.com
Quote Reply
Thanks for the reply Jeremy, but I've double checked all of my settings at least a dozen or so times...I've triple checked permissions, checked for open line feeds, re-typed portions.....I'm reduced to common household chores till I figure this out!!!

Any of ideas are greatly welcomed...before I get taken away, ah-ha.....

Perl Hopefull
Quote Reply
What text editor are you using? I would suggest using WordPad, TextPad, or another more robust script editor than NotePad or WYSIWYG editors, like Front Page or Dreamweaver.

Edit the files again via one of the preferred text editors I just mentioned. Then re-upload your files.

Make sure that your FTP program is configured to transfer the following files in ASCII TEXT MODE:

.cfg
.cgi
.db
.def
.pm
.pl

Most likely, you have left one of these file extensions in "binary" mode, which is causing the problem with the carriage returns.

Good luck!

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
I've just come to learn that all of my cgi files are not working in this version of links...I've tried the subscribe.cgi, add.cgi, and so on and all I get with each screen is:

Error including libraries: (Maybe you didn't strip carriage returns after a network transfer?)

Make sure they exist, permissions are set properly, and paths are set correctly.

Perl Hopefull
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Error including libraries: (Maybe you didn't strip carriage returns after a network transfer?)
Again...that means that one or more of your files (not just the cgi scripts) were transferred in BINARY MODE and there are carriage returns in the file(s) that is causing the script to hickup.

Again, please read my previous reply and try my suggestions.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
OK...here's the scoop,

I checked and checked till I turned blue and all was well, so I began to call in to the psych ward, when I realized that maybe my ftp program was screwed...so I d/l a new one and did it all again....nothing! I called up my host and told a very sympethetic ear, [grin], and explained the problem with just this particular directory. I then did it all again for S & G, and suddenly it WORKED!!!!!

Thanks for all the help you guys....sorry to sound so panicked but.........well, I was!

Happy Holidays,

Steve

Perl Hopefull