Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

links and flash

Quote Reply
links and flash
i´m a flash-beginner. is it possible to make a flash version of links 2.0.

has anybody made it already? just to look what´s possible.
Quote Reply
Re: links and flash In reply to
It has not been developed.

How do you want to use flash in your site?

Regards.

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Actually, it has been done... flash.onego.ru/flashlinks/ .

This guy is a very talented Flash developer however, I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner. What it's going to involve is cutting most of the script out, and emulating what you can in ActionScript (all the form validation, etc...). You're going to have to totally change the way the links database is formatted though, since Flash only accepts in name/value pairs seperated with an ampersand. Another way to get around this would be to write a script that reads the links.db and sends it to Flash in a format it understands. Anyways, hope this helps get you on your way! Smile

------------------
jessica@webstyles.net
www.were-here.com

[This message has been edited by WebStyles (edited March 29, 2000).]
Quote Reply
wow, very cool. thank you. i´ll try.
Quote Reply
VERY useful thing... This would be the future of Links.
I would be glad to see more infos about implementing Flash into Links.

I recommend for everybody to see this url: http://flash.onego.ru/flashlinks/
It's definitely worth to check.

Waiting more issues about Flash & Links integration...

Webmaster33
Quote Reply
I don't think so...waiting for a page to download for five minutes is not my cup of tea nor the majority of Web surfers.

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center

[This message has been edited by AnthroRules (edited April 02, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Yeah, i did notice the slowness, i never even got to the site. I didn't want to wait to see something that didn't matter to me.

------------------
LookHard Search
lookhard.hypermart.net
Lavon Russell

Quote Reply
I think it's much better idea, than you could think.
I see that Flash has incredible possibilities for interactivity. Integrating it with Links could result a very usable & enjoyable website.
The Graphical Interface what somebody created for a website is very important (especially for a Flash based site).
Take a bit interactivity of Flash, a bit from the advantages of HTML & Perl, and the result is a very new & enjoyable website.

It's worth to think about.

Webmaster33
Quote Reply
<rant>

I just had pretty much this same discussion elsewhere. The consensus was basically that Flash can be a good tool if used in the right places (i.e. navigation buttons and high impact intro's to snag customers), but is not overly effective in content-driven sites. Could anything be more content oriented than a search engine?!

My personal opinion is that Flash pretty much sucks. Interactive my ***. I can interact with the mouse, I can interact with the browser, I can interact with the TV, and I can interact with a magazine -- all of which impart more useful information than waiting for that Flash search engine to load and spit shooting stars or whatever across the screen...

</rant>

Dan
Quote Reply
That's right.
Quote:
Flash can be a good tool if used in the right places (i.e. navigation buttons and high impact intro's to snag customers)
That's the point where Flash can be very useful thanks to its interactivity.
Navigation tools can be made with Flash, even creating an Explorer-like category structure, which can be used interactively.
All other contents should be in plain HTML.
That's all.

I don't know why I suggest that Flash is good to use together with Links.
I will use it on my website as an option against the plain HTML format, so my users will be able to choose which one they like.

It's all up to you if you want to use Flash together with Links or not.
However I wanted to bring your attention to this possibility.

Webmaster33
Quote Reply

Quote:
I don't think so...waiting for a page to download for five minutes is not my cup of tea nor the majority of Web surfers.

Hmm, I was getting through the site faster than I could load up an HTML version (page to page) just now. I've had problems getting through to his server in the past, which is located in Russia, so that could explain it.

Regarding the Flash/Anti-Flash discussion I can see brewing here... Some developers tend to equate Flash with fluff, which is not the way it has to be. This is an example of integrating dynamic content with multimedia... Which in my mind, is a very good thing for the web as a whole, and not something that should be disregarded because of some half-baked, preconcieved notion one might have. Smile

------------------
jessica@webstyles.net
http://www.were-here.com
Quote Reply
Yes his server in Russia is very unpredictable really. I have a lot of trouble getting to his site half of the time, however there are some examples of his on my server and they download a lot faster than the same file on his server, when I can connect to his server at all that is Smile

------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [werehere] links and flash In reply to
Unfortunately I wasnt able to see the site in question but i do have to agree with Dan 90%. Flash sites for the most part suck and do nothing but visually masterbate themselves.

The future of links hahahaha thats the funniest thing I heard all day. Links already works fin enough without a flash intrface. The only reason anyone would realistically want to use Flash is to have animated characters or objects in your presentation or provide interesting page transition effects and stuff like that. As far as interacting with dynamic content Flash cant do anything that cant already be done with regular HTML.