Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

links.cfg, cache or no cache, explaination please

Quote Reply
links.cfg, cache or no cache, explaination please
I put it on no cache. Is that ok?

------------------
Quote Reply
Re: links.cfg, cache or no cache, explaination please In reply to
Its just the same as Netscape and Internet Explorer cache if Im not mistaken. If you want your visitors to load current links rather than loading the ones where they last visited your site and not seeing the new ones.

It is up to you to set it to 1 or 0, and yes... it is ok for you to set it to no-cache, better actually.

[This message has been edited by Eddie (edited May 24, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Oh ya...sheesh how could I forgotten about the images. Well as for me I put no-cache because my links page consists of about 5-8kb of images and mostly text based.

So fair, the choice is in your hands. If your site is loaded with images, then follow
Brad's suggestion. If not I guess it's ok to put it to no-cache.

[This message has been edited by Eddie (edited May 25, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Thanks, for the views on bothside. Now I just got to make up mind which is best for me.
Quote Reply
If a page is heavily laden with graphics, it wouldn't be one I visited very often anyway. A well designed page shouldn't burden the browser with graphics unless those graphics are essential to the page. There are so many pages that have graphics just for the sake of having graphics.

The purpose of links is to provide resource listings. Images do little in that regard, so should be at a minimum in order to allow pages to load faster and the people can get to the resources faster.
Quote Reply
Well...I don't know about better. If you have a lot of graphics (or any large graphics), turning the cache off will slow page load times. People aren't going to want to wait for the same graphics to download over and over again while they go from page to page.
Not many people change the default cache settings on their browser, and both NS and IE are preset to check for new pages each new browser session (i.e. everytime they log on). I highly doubt someone is going to come back multiple times during the same session expecting to see changes anyway (and if they use search, the results are dynamic anyway).

If its really important to you, I'd try it both ways first and see if the load wait is still acceptable.
Quote Reply
Actually, setting cache or no cache won't have any effect on your graphics. All that controls is whether:

Pragma: no-cache

to the output of CGI programs. I found this neccessary on some versions of IE who insisted on caching CGI output (so clicking on build all a second time was actually retrieving cached output, not rebuilding the pages).

Hope this clears things up,

Alex
Quote Reply
Which file contains the code for the no cache change?

------------------
Rafi Vartanian
http://www.uniquepages.com
FREE Business Hosting Providers.
Quote Reply
There's a setting for it in links.cfg under Database Options. It's called, $db_nocache.

I hope this helps.