Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

do Links 2 mods work for Links SQL ?

Quote Reply
do Links 2 mods work for Links SQL ?
i need to convert to links SQL. will all the mods work there ?
Quote Reply
Re: do Links 2 mods work for Links SQL ? In reply to
let's make it short and easy..

NO

links sql has a whole different admin and nph-build routines.. it would be easy to MAKE the mods work.. although you won't be able to get some of them working.. (database wise)..

i am planning on converting to links sql when i hear some feedback on how hard or easy it is to make it run like links 2.. i have been working with mysql so i think i could handle the mods.. i don't expect my site to go over 4000 links in the first few years.. so i have plenty of time

jerry
Quote Reply
how much can one links database handle? whats the max file zise?

i have split my site up into four different sections, each one will have its own separate database . two of them will use Links, and the other two will use WebData which can run either a flat file database or a MS Access databse,
what im worried about is the two using Links.

has anyone had any eperiences with large file size using Links?
Quote Reply
it's very hard for links sql to incorporate 2 databases.... (in my opinion)..

well.. you could.. but lets say you have like an EBAY type of site.. and just say the listings had the users name... (in the listings not on the page)..

it would be HARD to do that... [just cause of mysql].. you could do it the easier ways.. but it would just be lame and make mysql slower than ever Smile

jerry
Quote Reply
well, what ill do for now, is run two copies of links on my site, one fore each of the two sections . i think this way they can hold for about a year untill they get overloaded.

just one more question, what is ( Links- like ) out there that would run Access of SQL?
Quote Reply
i didn't get what you were saying..
Quote Reply
i meant if you knew another script which has the same features as Links 2, but works with MS Access, or SQL. other than Lins SQL ?

Thanx
Quote Reply
if there was another script.. i wouldn't be here... Wink

jerry
Quote Reply
true, me niether.
Quote Reply
Ok...

First, LinkSQL questions should really go in the SQL area -- not that I'm a policeman, but you'll get better answers.

MySQL _CAN_ handle more than one database, if you open more than one database handle. It's more complicated, of course, to operate on them, _but_ most people won't need this.

You can run dozens of different databases on MySQL, not just "LinkSQL".

A Database is a logical collection of data, organized into tables, and operated on as a logical unit (please, don't nit-pick here, I'm trying to answer the implied asked question).

So, a LinkSQL installation is _ONE_ database, with about 11 default tables, and any other tables you want to add to it.

I'm running MySQL with 3 different LinkSQL installations, each with it's own database for production reasons, (pre-beta, beta and release). I'm trying to Install MiniVend SQL, and have 2 other MySQL applications running, for a total of 7 databases, plus the permissions database.

Each database is a _SEPARATE_ entity! _BUT_ you only need one copy of MySQL to run multiple databases (limited more by your hardware and traffic than by MySQL).

LinkSQL is believed to easily handle 150,000 links, but Alex has some numbers he posts in the SQL area from time to time as he's asked this question.

I've got about 750 links operating now, all internal, and my SQL version builds about 30% faster than the corresponding (identical) Links 2.0 database.

Calls to the database are faster, _and_ once you learn SQL and the new object-oriented organization of LinkSQL mods are _MUCH_easier.

For instance, the Keyword logger was one subroutine call, and 5 lines of code (or will be, once Alex makes a few mods to the DBSQL.pm interface) as it was, I was able to do it in about 10 lines using the existing calls. Once in a table, in the database, you can access the data using the standard calls, and all routines can access all tables the same way (theoretically) with little redundant programming.

I've been looking at how to implement the ratings system into LinkSQL, and I think it could be implemented in an almost trivial fashion, with most work being the formatting, not the data collection and storage -- the RDBMS and SQL do that work.

(If anyone is interested, I thought about it a day or so ago, and posted some notes here:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...um9/HTML/000082.html )

This is probably my next challenge to tackle, since it will add to my knowledge of how LinkSQL and SQL work. The keyword tracker was a very simple effort, but it required delving into Alex's logic.

Any other SQL questions, please post over there. And don't be afraid to join in Smile

Quote Reply
Oh -- on file size.

You can get some file size stats from MySQL -- 1 million records and 40 fields is NOT too much for it, apparantly.

With LinkSQL you probably won't have to break up your database for performance issues, as you do with Links 2.0 unless you want to... then you can either run multiple instances of it, or you can probably work to select which database to use by context.

Why not post the details of your situation over in the SQL area, Alex is very quick to respond about new installation questions and issues.