cat+sub like hotscripts.com
I'd like to "ahhmmm" copy the format like hotscripts.com..... such as

category
subcat1, subcat2 for the main home.html page

then

on the 2nd category page

subcat subcat3
description description3

Is this possible with any of the yahoo mods? been trying to read through the archieves for the last hour or so and I've had it viewing 100 links at a time covered over 10 pages, plus read into the posts, so many people with the same questions and so many same answers, feel sorry for you guys, eliot, jerry, oldmoney, socrates, .... just to name a few. Actually, you do learn perl somewhat by reading all these answers. Smile

I wonder if there isn't a better way to organize all these posts ....

Quote Reply
Re: cat+sub like hotscripts.com In reply to
maybe emailing the owner of hotscripts which uses links, and asking how they achieved this feat would be a good first step.

Quote Reply
You can use different subroutines for your front page and category pages. On your font page use the yahoo mod. On your category pages, adjust the number of columns.

--Drew
Quote Reply
thanks guys, I was starting to think along the lines of Junko's suggestion:

Hard links for the top page and then use a yahoo mod for the next step.
Different subroutine ... woould it be really difficult to do? I'm not a perl programmer but I've seen so many different snippets of code I'm sure I could cut/paste something together.

could you recommend a good starting place --- which section I should try to screw up first?

thanks

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
could you recommend a good starting place --- which section I should try to screw up first?
This forum. Wink

BTW: www.hotscripts.com is using Links SQL not Links 2.0, so you probably won't get good suggestions about how to do it in Links 2.0.

Wink

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Ahhh, Eliot,

Did yo ever do what Jerry suggested? He mentioned that you were hardlinking your categories, could you share that info?

thanks

Quote Reply
It should only take a few minutes to do... basicly, in site_html_templates.pl make a copy of site_html_print_cat, make your changes, then change the subroutine call in build_home_page (or build_category_pages depending on which one you want to use the original subroutine) in nph-build.cgi. Complete instructions for this have been provided in the past.

--Drew
Quote Reply
Drew

thanks I'll do some more digging.

ps -- why Junko

japanese name which stands for (orderly -- Jun and child -- ko (normally used for girls)
well there are other versions but this one is the most popular

thanks for you help, just been wondering about the name for a while.