Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

block duplicate url mod is not working properly

Quote Reply
block duplicate url mod is not working properly
normally it's working but today someone was able to submit the same url 3 times under differnt category. i really do not know how he done it but he did. does anyone know how he did it and if there is a way to block him?
Quote Reply
Re: block duplicate url mod is not working properly In reply to
You have to add both types of domains, like the following:

Code:
'www.yahoo.com','yahoo.com'

Also, try doing a nslookup on the domain, and add the IP address with the domains.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. :)
----------------------

Quote Reply
the mode is working fine but someone find a way around it. let's say he submitted
www.yahoo.com the first time
then he submitted www.yahoo.com the second time. if i try to do this i will get an error
somehow this person found a way around it
Quote Reply
what was the link information? btw, there only needs to be yahoo.com, that takes care of www.yahoo.com and more.

------------------
LookHard Search
lookhard.hypermart.net
Lavon Russell
Quote Reply
Could you post the URLs? I have not had any problems with it at all! It would be interesting to see how they got around it!
Quote Reply
Hey Gerrit, were you the one that wrote the block duplicate mod? I had it installed for a while, but it was exhibiting strange behavior, so I removed it.

There were some oddities with people trying to modify their listing, but most problematic was when I tried to modify multiple links through the admin. It would modify the first one, then delete everything in the database after that link! Frown I'm not sure what about the duplicate mod would cause this, and it might have been in conjunction with something else. But I never had the problem before or after the deny duplicate mod. Has anyone else seen this?

Dan
Quote Reply
Well, I wrote the "Automatic Duplicate URL Check" (I think that's what it was called) that checks the URL against what's in the database, also those that are waiting for approval. I've been using the mod since I wrote it and haven't come accross any problems since the last update of it and that has been a while. There may be a problem if a certain combination of mods is used. I thought the problem with modifying URLs had been solved... but I haven't tried to move multiple links through admin.
Quote Reply
Yeah, that's the same one. I'm pretty sure I was using the latest version. It did work quite well, blocking out dupes. But as I said, it also seemed to block some user modifications. I can't think of any other mods I have that affect mofifying by either users or admin. If you do test the multiple modify via admin, be sure to backup the database. Wink

Dan
Quote Reply
I just tried to modify a listing, including modifying the URL, and I had no problems. Not sure what the problem could be on your end...

[This message has been edited by Gerrit (edited February 13, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Dan,
i had the same problem with modifying multiple url but when i used the latest version of the mod the problem was solved.
it's still a great mod but like i said someone found away around it. i can not remember his url.
Quote Reply
Thanks for the update, TheGuy, just let me know if it happens again, and I'll try to find a fix. Right, I'm quite sure the newer version has the bug fixed that caused problems with modifying.
Quote Reply
Is the newest version in the resource center? It's been too long now to remember which version I used and from where... I thought I pulled the latest version from the thread which was following its development.

Dan
Quote Reply
 http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...es/Detailed/788.html
Quote Reply
Thanks! Looks like I was using an older version.

Dan
Quote Reply

Quote:
btw, there only needs to be yahoo.com, that takes care of www.yahoo.com and more.

Really? I am using the codes from your site...and when I only put www.domain.com, sites will be added with domain.com.

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
----------------------

Quote Reply
well, try leaving out the www, because without it, it will match all hostnames under that domain.

------------------
LookHard Search
lookhard.hypermart.net
Lavon Russell
Quote Reply
And I have, Bmxer...It will add sites if I do not specify the separate domains.

For example, if I put domain.com in the @block_urls array...pages from www.domain.com will be added.

So, that is why I've had to add both.

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------