Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Webads Manager Mod

Quote Reply
Webads Manager Mod
OK - I am making an advertising mod to intergrate with links 2.0

Are there any features that you desperatly want? Tracking of click-throughs and impressions is done... and I have made the administration work through the admin.cgi script, so its an all in one.

I am only about 5% of the way there Smile Anyway - I am making it for you guys, so I thought you may want some input.

------------------
Michael Bray
www.webbhostarea.com
michael@webhostarea.com

Quote Reply
Re: Webads Manager Mod In reply to
Michael, A couple of things:
1> Make sure that it is usable by those of us on NT servers
2> The ability to set the size of the banner or button that is being used.
3>Weighted ad displays

Kurt
Quote Reply
It would be nice, if it can do all the things WebAdverts 2.01 ( http://awsd.com/scripts/webadverts/ ) can do, and if it can replace it, without doing much modifications...

bye
Tiggr

------------------
visit http://larp-welt.de/
the resource for german live roleplaying

Quote Reply
what about keyword targeting ?
Quote Reply
Campaigns (certain campaings would represent groups of zones) and zones would be a nice feature.
Quote Reply
Keyword targeting by search term or category would be nice.
Quote Reply
Allow banners to be placed on other web sites (like a banner exchange). I have a makeshift banner exchange on my site. My main goal is to integrate a banner program into my LINKS pages, but also allow external sites to have banners placed on their site (with click-throughs talleyed from external sites).

Also, the ability for banner users to access their statistics and modify their information at any time would be a plus.

Also, the ability to assign percentage views for each banner. For instance, I use AdWizard, another banner program, which allows you to assign ratios for banners based on relevancy. This would be beneficial for commercial sites that use LINKS as well because they can assign ratio views for banners based on advertisement fees.

Also, a separate database file is a must! I do not want to have to add additional fields to links.def, which will put my links.db over the edge.

Smile

Hope this helps.

Looking forward to seeing the mod.

Thanks for your effort and time.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us

[This message has been edited by Eliot (edited September 02, 1999).]
Quote Reply
KURT...

1) Should work on NT - I won't have a server to test it on... so I might need some feedback.

2) Yeah - You can set the size of the banners and all that... width, height, alt text...

3) Weighted banner displays...

TIGGR...

It won't really be like webadverts... as that is the reason I am making this MOD... webadverts some how displays them differently, and ends up wacking it above the <html> tag. Also, webadverts uses up a lot of system resources, and sites with over 15,000 hits a day have been kicked off servers... I want to make it use less resources as well.

LAITH and STEVE...

Good idea, I didn't think of that... I can do it two ways, which would be preferable???

a) Have it work with search.cgi for those search terms, and when you add a link to the database, you have to display which ad is best suited for it...

b) Have a hell of a lot of else/if statements,

if word = jadllaksfj [
banner = kajhakfjh } elseif
word = kla;jkal;d {
banner aklflakfj

etc... ( not the best example but you get the point Smile

ELIOT...

Campaigns and Zones... There is a C++ version somewhere that uses campaigns... I as thinking of adding that in...

As for zones... I might add it, not sure what the code would look like to do it, if I can figure out how I would do it, I'll do it though.

External banners will be able to count click-throughs and impressions, although this feature is not really a proirity, as I don't want to branch out and make it a banner exchange as well...

With weightings... would you guys like this... you can set it to a percentage ( Just don't put 3 of them on 80 cause it'll screw it up Smile ), or Webads Manager can find the most succesful by doing impressions/clicks and then showing that one more???

I am using that as well as one where I can select how many impressions and clicks one will get so advertisers get what they paid for still....

Anyway, I just woke up, so this probably all sounds like mindless rumbling on Smile

Thanks for the feedback

------------------
Michael Bray
www.webbhostarea.com
michael@webhostarea.com

[This message has been edited by Michael_Bray (edited September 02, 1999).]
Quote Reply
the C++ program is CentralAd.com I just upgraded it today because as you approach 20k impressions/day you need the speed of compiled programs --my Perl scripts kept crashing on hi-load days.
Quote Reply
I am really not interested in "campaigns" just a simple banner exchange that provides higher visibility for sites in my directory.

But having the external click-thoughs/stats would be great!

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
Could you please set it show the each banner can have their own unique number.

I placed request for help on how to make a simple mod that allowed me to use <%page_number%> type tag in my template that could be inserted into the html of the banner ad call. This is so that every page will display a different Ad. So far I have no successful answers.

Thanks
luke

------------------
-------------------------
luke@thetravelhelper.com
Visit www.thetravelhelper.com
-------------------------
Quote Reply
All these features are great . how long doyou estimate it would take to make such a script ?
im surrently shopping around for a banner ad script to install with Links 2, and frankly , WebAdverts beats all the names out there, even the ones priced at $500 - $900 .
but the thing WebAdverts lacks is "keyowrd targeting " , and the fact that its in perl, so it cant handle high traffic sites .

I think that if you intend to have all these features + easy integration with Links 2.0 and make it in C ++ , then you will have a commercial weight product that I'd be happy to pay for ;-)

keep it up,
Laith
Quote Reply
i don't recommend using webadverts.. it takes a huge byte (get it) out of your server.. sometimes it doesn't delete filelocks either.. which i find strange and you can't edit anything til you delete it in ftp..

when that happens........ (the filelock thing).. no banners can be displayed..

jerry
Quote Reply
I am not sure how long it will take... probably 3 months or something like that. I am not working on it full time, just adding some sub-routines every now and then when I have time.

The $900 dollars ones generally are very good though, but they aren't intergrated into links like mine will be.

Webadverts is what I am using, and it does use a hell of a lot of resources, which is why I making this MOD...

And I am going to make sure all file locks close Wink

------------------
Michael Bray
www.webbhostarea.com
michael@webhostarea.com

Quote Reply
Hi Michael!

I am just looking around for a Banner exchange program that I could use on my site. I was going to use WebAdverts but after reading your comments I have decided not to.

I guess I will wait and see what you come up with.

Thanks for looking at doing a mod that will work with links.

------------------
http://www.nzcid.godzone.net.nz
New Zealand Christian Internet Directory

Quote Reply
Since we are talking about banner ad progs.
a questions : what are the best three banner ad scripts out there, doesnt matter what the price is, i just need the oppinion of people who actually use them.
Quote Reply

Quote:
thetravelhelper

Could you please set it show the each banner can have their own unique number.

I developed something using the category ID and the incremental page count to provide a unique number for each category page, and you can use the LinkID for each detail page.

If you are interested,

check out:
www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/forum/resources/Forum3/HTML/002037.html

Bobsie gave me the start when I was new, but I took it a little further. I can send you the code if you are still looking.

This effectively gives a unique ID to each category page, and to each detail page.

===> heck, it was easier just to post it, the thread above has been updated with I think are the correct added lines. if not, let me know over there.

[This message has been edited by pugdog (edited September 03, 1999).]
Quote Reply
if you guys noticed... Links is practically an advertisement script..

if you take away the thought of the automatically built pages... (home, categories, new, cool, ratings).. then you will see what i mean..

LINKS -> ADS..

and then all you would need to make is a ad.cgi that will randomly select the ad... (to do zones.. you would do the same.. except randomly select them using hash keys)..

i don't know about the resources it would take.. but i am sure it won't be as high as webadverts..

adding, modifying, and deleting can be done through the admin.. (using the same technique as review.cgi) with a few changes to the admin_html.pl and db.pl

also.. validating new advertisements submitted by users can be done also...

do you get what i am saying? cause making this mod won't be hard at all.. (in my perspective).. just i can't make it now cause of school...

i would rather use a mod that adds on an ads.cgi, a gotoad.cgi and a few lines in db.pl and admin_html.pl.. and a few more.. instead of using something unoriginal with about 3000 lines added to admin.cgi, a HUGE ads.cgi, a huge ads_display.pl and uses alot of bandwidth..

all the features are easy to implement..

zones.. (easy..)
clicks (easy..)
impressions.. (too easy)

what else of webadverts is needed? (there are like nothing else except for groups..)

and best of all.. you can have the function to select which categories the banners go in.. (sorta like zones i guess)..

i would make this mod if i had the time.. but you should think about this one before continuing with webadverts.. Links is practically made for it.. maybe Alex can tell you that.. (as the perl guru i bow down to)..

jerry

[fixed grammer errors.. (i guess school doesn't help at all... Wink)]

[This message has been edited by widgetz (edited September 04, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Pugdog, your mod is great if using .html or .htm as an extension for links pages,
im using .shtml, which means i can usi SSI calls.
what im interested in is when searching, how to make search.cgi generate a random # and use it to display a banner through image tags.
I think this would be the solution to the integration of Webadverts for template users.

Quote Reply
Widgetz - That is what I am sorta doing. I am not taking any code from webadverts - its a good script, but a five year old could write one that uses less resources...

I am trying to get most of the code into the advert.cgi file, so that the original links code does not need to be modified much... of cause it has to be edited a bit though - in the files that you said...

One problem though... need some help here... Advertisers checking stats... If I am using the links 2.0 admin screen for all this, I am gonna need some sort of script to stop the advertisers also being able to delete records etc... Jerrys multi-admin script seems like it might be perfect for this...
I'll see what I can come up with (I don't want to make a multi-admin log in)...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
Michael Bray
Review your webhost, or find a new one at http://www.webhostarea.com

Quote Reply
LAITH- if you are using SSI calls, do you have EXEC enabled?

IF so, you can use the raw time, or call a small CGI program that can grab the time+PID of the program, returning a very unique number.

Or, what about returning the fsize of the access_log file ?

I don't play around enough with SSI now to be more specific -- but several years ago, I was able to do all sorts of things with them on my first server.

The problem for most people is _NOT_ running SSI, because it bogs the server down 100% of the time for .01% of actual work...

[This message has been edited by pugdog (edited September 04, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Yes, i have EXEC enabled . but i do agree that using image tags is better.
i will try to add a random number generator to search.cgi, then use that as the unique page number in Web Adverts .

now, we can do tha same for the statice pages built buy nph-build.cgi, where we have another random number generated and used.

im really up to my head in stuf right now, and i cant take the time to do it , if anyone can do it , it would be great