Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Two Pairs of search results

Quote Reply
Two Pairs of search results
Hi everyone,

I run a fishing directory using the Links 2.0 script. I also run a fishing "Search engine" using the Fluid Dynamics search engine script.
I would like to make my search results page so that it could list say the top 10 results from my directory, and then the top 10 from the serach engine script.
Something like:

Search Results:
Directory Results:
Page one
Page two
page three etc.

Search Engine Results:
Page one
page two etc.

If this is to hard, what about something like yahoo has where you can look at results from web sites, or web pages, something like:

Search Engine Results - Directory
Page one
page two

and since the user had directory results selected, they would get the results from the directory.

This would be a big help to me, and i don't know how to code in CGI, so any kind of help would be great!!!
New Guy
The Weedbed - A Fishing Search Engine and Directory
http://weedbed.hypermart.net

Quote Reply
Re: Two Pairs of search results In reply to
Search Logger Mod in the Resources section...first place to check before searching the forums and THEN posting questions.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
'If this is to hard, what about something like yahoo has where you can look at results from web sites, or web pages'

I think the mod you'd want is the Altavista search mod:

http://www.magicdirectory.com/...mods/altavista.shtml

If you want to make it so you can use also the results from your fluid dynamics search engine...

It could be done, but requires a bit of work and so if your new to cgi is prob better to try the altavista search mod instead.

Good Luck!

Glenn
Host Links
http://cgi-resource.co.uk/links
Quote Reply
Thanks Guys,

I know the Altavista search mod is what i want, but i need it to get the results from my other search engine, since people come to my directory to search for fishing sites. The whole point of my directory is so people can sort through fishing sites with out having to look at a bunch of other non-related sites.

Where do i start to try to get this done?

Thanks

Quote Reply
One way is to combine the two scripts. A few suggestions on what needs to be altered (but is off the top of my head and so other things might need to be done or though about):

You'll need to add tags for the xavatoria search so that the search results for this also get printed onto the template. Eg. change it so it doesn't print it's own results page.

You'll need to check what needs to be used in the search form. Also will need to add code in the script which defines these incoming vars for each of the 2 search scripts.

You'll also need to alter the page spanning used in search.cgi. Also will need to get rid of the spanning used for the xavatoria search.

There's prob other things you can get rid of in the xav script.

A different (prob easier) approach would be:

To look at the db. built up by the xav indexer. Write a .def file for this database. Make it so that search.cgi goes through both of the databases and prints out results from both databases.

Actually this approach would prob be better as it should integrate better with the search.cgi script. Actually might not be that hard to do. You could just search on say 2 fields such as the title and description in that xav db.

Bear in mind modifying search.cgi to do this could slow search.cgi down quite a bit. Especially if the xav database is big and has some long fields.

Good Luck!

Glenn
Host Links
http://cgi-resource.co.uk/links
Quote Reply
Re: [glennu] Two Pairs of search results In reply to
I am running the fluid dynamics search engine as a back up to my web directory. what i do is get the results from the directory first and if there are none, send then to the backup fdse without showing them the search error page. what i also did was to add a link on my templates offering "back up search" so that the user coudl be looking at the search results and then switch to the fdse results...it works pretty well and there are now very few peopel seeing the search fail page.Sly

All i did was create a template for the fdse search engine so that it looked the same as the directory results page. They click on a link that is a search string using the <%query%> tag to go to fdse. the only problem is i cant get the user back onto the directory results because i dont know the string and what tag to use in fdse to search another location.
If it was possible to send a visitor from fdse to links 2...you could alter your templates to have a choice of "directory-web" and that could be the google effect you where looking for.

I am running the Inktomi mod from the resource centre to automaticaly send a user to fdse when no directory results are found.... it's superTongue

Last edited by:

clickforchoice: Mar 20, 2002, 7:15 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [clickforchoice] Two Pairs of search results In reply to
Ok i finaly got it to work properly...

Now a user can switch betwen results from the directory and results from fdse and remain within the same remplates...

All i did was send a query to the other search method and carry the query in a tag. It works pretty well.