Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Ace Mods.....No More Updates....

(Page 2 of 2)
> >

Re: The Pied Piper of Hamelin In reply to
In Reply To:
You have written (free) mods for HIS program, not your own. How does HE profit by this? The short answer is, he doesn’t. Are you not, in effect, stealing HIS glory as well as HIS (potential) profit? Now, because of ppl like YOU (not us) he was decided to orphan Links 2.
No, you can't be more wrong. It's people like JPDeni, Eliot, widgetz, youradds, Paul, LoisC, Mark, Pugdog, Bmxer to name just a few that have helped build Gossamer, not steal from it. We've been told time and time again that the strong user community was one of the reasons people decided to use, and purchase, our products.

The move to Links SQL was from customer demand wanting an SQL backed solution that would handle not only higher traffic and larger databases, but more importantly, a solution that could integrate. Anyone can go to CGI Resources and pick the best web based email, the best links directory, the best forum, the best news management, etc. But when you try and put all those technologies together, it becomes a nightmare. By moving towards SQL, we will be able to offer products that not only are integrated together, but will be able to integrate easily with other technologies.

The price tag is required as this is not something I can do myself anymore. We have grown from just me, to 11 people now, 9 of which are developers.

That said, I haven't forgotten the Links/DBMan flat file users! We have in our plans to introduce a new product within 2 months that will be released as shareware and at a comparable price to Links. I can't go into any more details just now, but will do so shortly.

Anyways, enough rant, I've locked this thread at request of the original poster. If you have questions about this, please drop me an email at alex@gossamer-threads.com.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
> >