Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Serious Expirator Mod Discussion

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Serious Expirator Mod Discussion
I am getting tired of all the "send me the mod" requests for the infamous expirator mod for links 2.0 so i will start a new thread to hopfully end all the "me too's"

In my application of my Recip Link Checker I use it to check the validate.db and periodically email users who are requesting to be added once per week (each week with a custom email) if there is not a reciprocal link

I was wondering why this couldn't do the job. I also have a recip link checker to delete from the live links.db using our simple cgi script we all have in our installed version of links

first you have to add a new field "expired" where you ask the user "how many days will the link be active" say for example you add this as links[999] defined in links.def

now, theorhetically, could one not use the
$daysold = &days_old($links[3]); (again found already in links) to count the days the link has been in the database

compare it with a simple
if($daysold == links[999]){
#then use the delete subroutine to delete it?
}

in the most basic sense, one could use a separate script to delete manually

print "<form action=admin.cgi METHOD=POST><input type=hidden name=db value=links>\n";

<input TYPE=CHECKBOX NAME=$links[0] VALUE=\"delete\">

print "<INPUT TYPE=SUBMIT name=delete_records VALUE=Delete Checked Link(s)> <INPUT TYPE=RESET VALUE=Reset>\n";

well, that's all i have to say about the expirator. i don't plan on using it anytime soon, but feel free to play with my ideas. i don't know why you can't use the the delete sub and the date modifier in conjunction with a new links.def field to get the job done

hope to see more postings
Quote Reply
Re: Serious Expirator Mod Discussion In reply to
Serrow, thanks very much for this post! I, for one, would love to see a Links v2.0 Expirator Mod -- perhaps one similar to Lepo's Links v1.0 version.

I first suggested this functionality back before v2.0 came out (see http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...m11/HTML/000012.html . Amazingly, since that time, no one has come up with a mod.

If I knew how to program, I would try to tackle this myself, but I don't. However, it sounds as though you may have an idea on how to implement such a mod. Perhaps someone can continue this thought... ???
Quote Reply
if you tell me what the expirator does.. i'll do it.. but i would like to make at least $10 out of it Wink.. and i am serious about the $10 btw.. Smile

reason.. cause i've been doing too much for free lately.. hehe

jerry
Quote Reply

Quote:
if you tell me what the expirator does.. i'll do it..

It "expires" a link. That is, after a predetermined period of time, the expirator script will identify the link as expired and allow an administrator the option of either sending the link owner an email message or deleting the link (or both). See http://web-linker.com/...links/expirator.html for an idea of an earlier (v1.1) implementation.

I, personally, would gladly pay $10 for an implementation of this for Links v2.0. If you'd prefer, you can send me email.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
ok.. i am going to look at lepos..

and i will do it. it somebody else isn't in the middle of doing it..

jerry
Quote Reply
tell me.. does the field EXPIRE.. have a date in it or DAYS that the link will expire?

or better yet.. i can make both Smile
Quote Reply
Widgetz wrote:
>tell me.. does the field EXPIRE.. have a date in it or DAYS that the link will expire?

Actually, an extra field in the database with a date in it seems the most simple solution to me. When building the pages, or validating pages you could check if today's date is higher than the one in the field expire then delete it or whatever you want to do with it.

Or: create a separate script which could be run from the admin pages or in certain intervals via a cron job. That way you could completely automate the process.

If you just want to put in days... ok that might be an option some people need.....

Maybe an extra field in the form where you could enter the days. And then the script could calculate the date on which the link expires. This to keep the checking as simple as possible.

You might have noticed that I have been thinking about an expirator. Well... I need one also. But it's sad that I'm not that into Perl to write one myself.

Let us know on your progress widgetz.....

Jeroen.
http://freebies.tracksonline.com
Quote Reply
hi..

i am quite far actually.. everything is done in an order that i would understand only.. Smile

i just need to make it now so other people would understand and get rid of a bug that has been bothering me.. Smile

jerry
Quote Reply
What's the bug....

Maybe we can help thinking.... Smile
Quote Reply
Widegetz,

Here is my input:

============
If you just want to put in days... ok that might be an option some people need.....
============

This would be a better option. Why put the whole date? Just throw in a number.

It should be automated ie delete all links automatically after a set numbe of days.

Option 1: There should be a default number of days or something declared for number of days, which could be changed later so, all links after say 90 days will be automatically deleted. Automatically....by setting up a cron job.
You don't want to delete each link manually. That would in my opinion sort of overrule the purpose of this script.

Option 2: I don't know how difficult it would be to do this. But just throw in the number from the admin panel for the database field and hence this will allow different settings (number of days to be configured) for each individual link.

I am looking forward to it.

[This message has been edited by socrates (edited July 21, 1999).]
Quote Reply
yep.. that is all done.. bug fixed and all.. now i need to make the email..

this isn't as hard as i thought.. i'm doing it the way socrates put it.. just a number.. MUCH easier.. especially on leap years Smile

jerry
Quote Reply
Great,

Just do it the way it seems best for you....
I was just ventilating some thoughts I had the last few days.

And: perhaps I can adjust it a bit to my own needs if it's not a 100% fit.

Jeroen.
Quote Reply
i was wondering what the "debug" mode thing on lepo's did..

can anyone tell me?

thanks

jerry
Quote Reply
OK SERROW.. serious talk here..

i am going to release this for beta VIEWING..

TOMMORROW.. 7/22/99 @ approximately 4:00 PM PST [at theatres near you.. lol]

Smile.. Viewing.. why? Cause I need to know what else you guys(/gals) need.. hehe

Anyways.. I've got delete and email.. figuring out how i should do span pages Smile

jerry
Quote Reply
Widgetz,

=======================
I've got delete and email.. figuring out how i should do span pages
=======================

Question: Will we be able to delete links automatically via cron?
OR
Do you have to check mark each link for deletion?
Quote Reply
oh.. no cron version yet.. that is simple.. so i will do that too.. i like the visual expired links cause of it layout though Wink

jerry
Quote Reply
Hi Wedgetz,

Can you possibly include a check box in the bottom of the page where when you click it, it will be a select all function?

Just like in hotmail, you can "delete all" messages by checking a box so that all the boxes will be checked without going through each one manually.

Thanks, and hope maybe you can incorporate this feature. Smile
Quote Reply
now i've got a problem.. it will eventually work out.. but i DO NOT understand how Alex parses the templates Smile

jerry
Quote Reply
yea.. i have that Smile

it IS very useful..

and when did i ever become a golf club? :P

[This message has been edited by widgetz (edited July 22, 1999).]
Quote Reply
hi guys .
i have serious problem (topic :))
when trying to run nphexpirator.cgi it gives me zero sized reply??

any idea
thanx in advance

Quote Reply
I've already responded to your similar post about this MOD in another Thread.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Sorry i searched threads back and found no answer on zero sized reply within Expirator Mod :(

gregor

Quote Reply
Not my problem...again, I already responded to a duplicate post regarding the DBMAN Auto Deletion Mod, which you asked about...which will resolve your current problems with the LINKS Expirator Mod!!!

Got IT?

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Re: [widgetz] Serious Expirator Mod Discussion In reply to
Can anyone please point me to the script? I did not see it in the thread. Thank you very much!

Will
Quote Reply
Serious Expirator Mod Discussion In reply to
I would be interested in the mod as well. Though I would like people to be able to choose in days 30, 60, 90, 182, 365 days.

An auto email needs to be sent at a specified time (set by me) to the Ad owner before the Ad expires giving them the chance to renew it and a url included to renew it.

If they choose not to renew it then the ad must be auto deleted via a cron job run nightly or given the code to run i can get my hosting service to add it to an existing cron job.

Look forward to hearing from someone re this mod.

> >