Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Review Mod Comparison

Quote Reply
Review Mod Comparison
Hi,

Ok, since I was unable to get an answer on a manual install for Widgetz review mod, I guess I'll move on. I've been looking at ceglobes review mod and was wondering if anyone could point out the differences between the two? (It also doesn't seem to be working correctly on ceglobes site) I HAVE read the two huge threads on these mods, but there was never really a comparison between the two. Also, ceglobe offers a ubb compatible version...does anyone know if that is compatible with other boards? Any other relavent information that someone cares to share would be great!

Thank You
Quote Reply
Re: Review Mod Comparison In reply to
well.. all i can say is the version that is on ceglobe's site is my review mod.. except he modded it a little and probably screwed it up by himself..

the only thing i will say about the difference is that mine is built with code i feel is stable and "good".. while his is built with code that simply "works".. i am not the kind of guy that throws a bunch of things together and hope it works and if it does distribute it..

anyways.. back then he even admitted his code was trashy.. (on icq)..

------------------
Jerry Su
Links SQL User
------------------
Quote Reply
Widgetz,

Thanks for responding! I would really like to use your review mod, but as I said, I'm not sure how to manually install it (I do not have LWP) and I did read over the thread on the manual install, but didn't make much sense of it. I'm sure your very busy, but if you have some extra time, would you mind explaining how to manual install that great mod you made?

Thank You
Quote Reply
Widgetz,

I'm assuming since you haven't replied, that means no? Anyway, maybe you didn't see the post, so I'll bring it back to the top. Also, I'd be willing to pay you for your time to make the instructions.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Ok, here's another question, since it doesn't look like I'll be adding this review section any time soon! I guess for now, I'll just use my forum for a review/discuss section. I know that this is an option on the review mode, but would it be possible to just integrate this function without the review mode? Maybe just add an additional field which would link directly to the board already having the listings name/id? Would I have to start a discussion for every link before-hand? I'll be using ultraboard most likely. Any ideas how I would be able to integrate this? Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Quote Reply
domenic.. i know you're not trying hard enough.. Smile

reread those instructions a couple of times..

i even gave you an example..

------------------
Jerry Su
Links SQL User
------------------
Quote Reply
Ok...I'm not the type to give up, so I'm going to give it another shot. :-) Maybe I need to get another cup of coffee! Hopefully all goes well.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Ok..it is getting a little clearer. I'm assuming the install.cgi file creates, modifies and deletes the following files/directories?

"review.cgi"
"review.def"
"site_html.pl"
"site_html_templates.pl"
"review.html"
"review_form.html"
"review_success.html"
"review_error.html"
"review.db"
"valrev.db"
"reviewid.txt"
"rates.cgi"
"rates"

Since I can't utilize the install.cgi do I need to create files that I don't have or already haven't modified as it states in your instructions? Files such as valrev.db, review.db, etc.? If so, what needs to be in those files.......just empty files? And as far as the templates, what tags go in there? Also the file located here
http://www.widgetz.com/review/reviewcgi.txt
....is this the review.cgi file?? The reason I'm asking for instructions is because I would hate to completely screw up my data, ....I'm still learning this stuff. Believe me I like to learn as much as I can on my own, but sometimes I just can't figure it out! Not to mention, I'm trying to have some sort of review/discussion thing done by Monday. Like I said earlier, I don't have a problem whatsoever paying you to make these instructions for me....just email me where to send the check or cc info. I think you've done more than enough by creating the mod. Anyway, thanks again.
Quote Reply
instead of creating empty files, why don't you just go to the files and save them on your computer?

------------------
LookHard Search
lookhard.hypermart.net
Lavon Russell
Quote Reply
Hey Bmxer,

I think that's the part I'm unclear of...where do I get the files? I've gone to Widgetz page and already completed the instructions, but I can't use the LWP which downloads the files (at least that's what I think it does)?? I hate to sound stupid, and waste peoples time, but this mod's got me really stumped!
Quote Reply
read the instructions again.. i said where to download the files.. you're not trying!

------------------
Jerry Su
Links SQL User
------------------
Quote Reply
Ok...I've read this thread
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...um3/HTML/003748.html
over and over again, and it doesn't tell me anything about the files I need or where I can download them. It does say that all the files are located here
http://www.widgetz.com/review and I've already followed the instructions there and modified all of the files as you stated....but I cannot find any files called:
review_error.html
review_success.html
review_form.html
review_html.html
review.db
valreview.db
review.def

....am I missing something here! I don't know where else to look. Even if I can find these files...I'm still not sure what to do?? Believe me...I'm trying...I've just screwed up so many times trying to learn this stuff, I just thought for once, it might be nice to do it right the first time.
Quote Reply
I have the same problem I followed all the instructions plus more:
I gathered that the source files are the files with .txt extensions and they are in the directory
http://www.widgetz.com/review/, for example for tempsite.txt you go to
http://www.widgetz.com/review/tempsite.txt and download it!
But still running install.cgi gives me a message box "The document contained no data. Try again later or contact server administrator."

Possible problems. I dared to change location of review.cgi (from cgi-bin directory to cgi-bin/admin!) could this be a problem? I do not think so.

I am hopeless!