Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

ReviewIt mod update

Quote Reply
ReviewIt mod update
Minor update with improved field checking and error handling (non-fatal 500 server errors were possible in the previous version). Still haven't heard if the mods for template users work. I'll work with anyone that wants to volunteer.

http://www.baywooddesign.com/...Review_It/index.html
Quote Reply
Re: ReviewIt mod update In reply to
I added the review and when I go to review I am getting the error:
"The requested method POST is not allowed for the URL /cgibin/reviewit.pl."

I am using templates
Quote Reply
I added the review and when I go to review I am getting the error:
"The requested method POST is not allowed for the URL /cgibin/reviewit.pl."

I am using templates
Quote Reply
Dave,

Great mod! Just what I need, actually, so I'd be happy to work with you to get it to work with templates, which is what I use. Unfortunately, I'm no programmer, so I'll do my best in pointing at the problems, and hope for Bobsie or some other 'pro' to help :-)

OK, here goes.

Sadly, it doesn't seem to work out of the box. First step, with the rate.html is OK - it does insert the hidden fields. But next step, with the rate_success.html doesn't insert anything in the hidden fields. I believe it is because you make calls in the non-template fashion:
Quote:
<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="id" VALUE="$in{'key'}">
<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="site_title" VALUE="$in{'site_title'}">
etc.

OK, I changed the rate_success.html to just call:
Quote:
<input type=hidden name="key" value="<%ID%>">
(why all the other calls?)

This is one step ahead, it seems. The form now has a correct hidden field, and when submitting the review, I get to the preview page, and also to the final build page. BUT, the page being built does not use the ID, and the review.cgi builds a '.html' page (whose content is OK), but lacks the ID.
Also, nothing is written to id.txt (which I chmodded to 766 and also 777).

So, can we ask Bobsie or some other pro to give a hand here?

John

[This message has been edited by gotze (edited July 02, 1999).]
Quote Reply
gotze,

Quote:
<input type=hidden name="key" value="<%ID%>">

needs to read

<input type=hidden name="id" value="<%ID%>">

If <%ID%> works in rate_success.html maybe the others will as well, you did say none of the values were showing up in rate_success.html, yes?

<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="id" VALUE="<%ID%>">
<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="site_title" VALUE="<%site_title%>">
<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="site_url" VALUE="<%build_root_url%>">
<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="category" VALUE="<%Category%>">
<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="category_url" VALUE="<%build_root_url%>/<%Category%>/<%build_index%>">
<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="link_title" VALUE="<%Title%>">
<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="link_url" VALUE="<%URL%>">
<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="link_description" VALUE="<%Description%>">

Most of the values are being used with the exception of link_url and link_description (if I remember right) which could be added to the top of the review page (had it that way for a while). I am almost positive there is a better way to get them to the script but I have limited time to pursue that angle.

Explorer,

One message on one forum will do. I emailed a reply to your posting on the reviewit page, looks like a setup problem (URL typo, chmod, etc.)
Quote Reply
Dave,

Thanks, I got it to work now :-)

It did complain about undefined tags, so I had to remove several of the hidden fields to get it to work. I don't know why this is so, might be because I use some customised field names.

To see it in action, go to:
http://www.democracyforum.net/news
I use detalied pages, and have the link to rate.cgi as well as a direct link to the review page (which is fine when there is a review, but not good when there isn't ...).
Feel free to play around with thing on my site - it is all a test installation.

All in all, this is definately worth working on.

One issue: By default, a review is published in public only if it is added to an already existing review listing. This is why I am trying to find a way to link directly to the review page. I tried to use SSI to call the file, but am having problems with my SSI-configuration for file inclusions (must ask my ISP on monday).

Cheers
John
Quote Reply
I need to dig around and figure out how to pass values when using templates...Is this as simple as adding %rec in rate_success?
Quote:
One issue: By default, a review is published in public only if it is added to an already existing review listing. This is why I am trying to find a way to link directly to the review page.
My goof, the review switch (added yes/no field) is supposed to be a link in link.html (its ok in readme.txt and has been corrected in readme_templates.txt). In your case I would put it after Rate It (in your Interact section)...Maybe you want the review link to work even if there are no reviews (don't have to go through Rate It to create a new review), hmm (light bulb image), I shall return.

...well that might take longer than expected. Added the %rec question

...%rec was it, will update the template version shortly.

Thanks John

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited July 03, 1999).]
Quote Reply
This Mod is certainly a good idea... But is certainly still beta.

I have installed the mod and made a few changes you may want to incorporate into the new version.

-The hidden fields in the rate_success.html do not work (see next point)
-Have added some require files such as in the rate.cgi (to allow reviewit.pl to pick up some variables)
-added into the e-mail the link to go and validate that record to allow the review
-reduced the size of the review field

If you are interested in the code please let me know I will send it off to you, if you want to look at it for your next version.

Thanks,
Marcus
SponsorFind.com

[This message has been edited by SponsorFind (edited July 03, 1999).]
Quote Reply
The template version is now working thanks to beta testing by John. I took the opportunity to make a few other improvements while I was at it. The .zip has been updated.

Marcus,

It sounds like you have some valuable input and I am interested in seeing what you have done. I gotta say though that I am a little miffed, the hidden fields are what we were working on, and solved, in this thread.
Quote Reply
http://www.baywooddesign.com/Links/Internet/Scripts/Review_It/index.html

seems no to be passwordprotected Frown

Tiggr

------------------
visit http://larp-welt.de/
the resource for german live roleplaying

Quote Reply
Whoops Someone from here was messing around on my site and I finally decided to do something about security, got a bit carried away.
Quote Reply
I can confirm that the ReviewIt mod does work with templates. It installs without any serious difficulties, and Dave's latest update is, as far as I can see, bugfree.

Having said that, some further development of it would be appropriate - but that goes for so much in this world, doesn't it? :-)

One issue to develop further is the way new reviews are integrated into Links. As it is now, the Admin has to go in and set the Review field to Yes. Not a big deal, but some smarter way of doing things might be interesting in some contexts - for example mine ;-) In one of my applications, I use Links as a news publisher, and here it would be nice if new reviews were made public immediately.

While I was working with the issue in another project, I just realised that the debate I started over at http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...um3/HTML/002125.html is relevant also in this context. I think ...

John
Quote Reply
Dave,

Sorry if I had made any comment sound negative...

The mod is a good one. I had done the mod. within a few hours of it being posted. Sorry I did not read through the enitre thread completely

Good job with the mod Smile

Marcus
Quote Reply

Quote:
One issue to develop further is the way new reviews are integrated into Links. As it is now, the Admin has to go in and set the Review field to Yes.

In my application, I need the Admin to validate each and every addition before it is posted to the review file. Does this mod allow that? Or is the review opened once, then remains open for anyone to add to the initial review?

Bob
Quote Reply
No validate function (don't foresee one at this point) but I am working on a simple delete function that you can try out.

http://www.baywooddesign.com/test/test.html

There is a small blue rectangle between the post button and footer, the password is 'test'. If it doesn't break I'll try to put it together next weekend.

I agree the yes/no switch is a pain, maybe Marcus will share his "added into the e-mail the link to go and validate that record to allow the review" mod. I'll play with that as it would be handy for the delete function as well.
Quote Reply
Dave,

I tried the delete test, and it seemed to work. I'll mention something here that might spark an idea re delete/validation. I have a friend working with DBman, in his application the posting passes through to the database, but there is a "ShowPublic" field set to "No" by default. The public never sees the posting unless the Admin resets it to "Yes."

Bob
Quote Reply
The mod transfers Links data to an outside script which creates and modifies html review pages in real time. It does not use the intermediary step of a database so I don't think validation is an option (should have said that the first time).

The idea is that its a public forum where deletion is seldom used. The email you receive has a link to the review page along with the post number, if you don't like it you click the link, hit the admin link and delete.

There is a review mod in the Resource Center that is probably more an integral part of Links. I'm trying to keep this one as simple as I can.