Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Release of moderated code

Quote Reply
Release of moderated code
I was wondering....

Would anyone find it useful to have a copy of moded code. I have added about 7 or 8 (have to make a list) mods and could give the code to save anyone who wants them going through this.

I am however unsure if i am allowed to do this? can someone clear that up

If anyone want this then tell me. It is not quite finished yet, a couple more to go in but then i could make a zip file if you want.

Just a thought...

------------------
-------------------------
http://www.freeontheweb.com/
Reviewed and rated resources for webmasters
Quote Reply
Re: Release of moderated code In reply to
You can add the mods in the Resource Center preferably as individual mods.

Go to the Resource Center and click through the links until you come to LINKS2: Modifications. Then click on the Add Resource link to submit your mods.

Smile

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
no.. they are not MY mods. they are everyone elses that i have installed into the code.

I just know how long it has taken me a to find them and b to install them even with everyone's help (without which i would have no chance)
Quote Reply
Then it should be up to the individuals who wrote the "mods" to post them in the Resource Center.

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
and that would basically make my install.cgi get unnoticed and he would have to hit the streets! Frown

hehe.. idunno.. if i have time.. i am making install.cgi install links by itself.. should be really easy..

anyways.. you are planning on releasing MEGALINKZ 3.0? Smile Z cause then you have no trouble with the guy that released megalinks..

jerry
Quote Reply
can you make a list of the mods that you have installed in your Links.

Quote Reply
ok but still not quite there : i think this is them:

*review.cgi from widgetz
*mod 1 for review.cgi (add number of reviews)
*links with multi categories
*add top 10 resources by votes and rating to front page
*yahoo likr subcategories

to add

*category select mod
*comments field mod
*category referring to another (may need unusual character mod here)
*web adverts banner mod
*editors pics

also a frame based thing so that links are displayed in frames with a small bottom frame incorporating the review.cgi form, a back to site link, a close frame and a bookmark above site link (for ie5 users)

that is about it. I think i have added one or two more mods but not sure which at the moment.

------------------
Quote Reply
I've often wondered why this hasn't been done, since it would cut the volume of traffic on "how to" or "I can't" way down.

Quote Reply
Why dont everyone join hands and in this so that everyone adds a mod to it , so that in the end, we will have the best features available.... so newcomers to Links dont have to ask about these mods again and again. and definately this will make Links more amd more attractive to webmasters looking for specific features.

Quote Reply
Glad you like the idea.

if anyone had even more modded code then we can start with theirs. i am still adding some.

of couse a little tutorial would have to be made to change all the refernces to either my email accounts, usr/bin/ stuff and path/to stuff..

there would be more than in the simple install of links for example in review.cgi and any other mods.

continuation of just a thought :-)

still wondering, is this legal ?

------------------
Quote Reply

Its legal, Assuming the following:

1. Your not giving out code that is fee based. Ie, your not releasing a mod or code that you had to pay to get.

2. The mod's you've installed don't have disclaimers saying " Do not give out my code " type things.

Basically its like this, links is free to download. If you mod it and make it downloadable ( like some of the total conversion mods ) .. thats legal too. However, if someone uses it they are subject to the original copyright of each author ( ie, Gossamer Threads for links ) .. If its a commercial site, they have to pay. Same with some mods. If your not sure about a mod, just e-mail the guy/girl who wrote it and ask..

Its a good idea what your doing. Your basically providing free configuration /installation of mods. I think people will like that Wink

------------------
The Crowe crowe@charter.net
www.lit.org Links Engine for Writing on the net!

Quote Reply
Hi all,
Think that would be a great idea. I am starting to work on a cross cgi admin mod for tying in other cgi progies with Links. Was also thinking of making it where I can choose which mods to run by check boxes in the admin control panel. With a very limited time schedule, if i figure it out before any other takers, will post info. Also, would like to thank widgetz, bobsie, and others for their mods. I don't use most of them but took their code to learn cgi Smile Even though the main page says not a script for beginners, it is Links that started me on this quest.
Thanks again.
Quote Reply
well.. that is why i created install.cgi to install mods.. but right now it's more like installing addons.. it can however install site_html or site_html_templates mods..

i am still wondering if i have enough time before school to work on the modifying part.. i don't think i do..

jerry
Quote Reply
No probs everyone, i can understand why you would not want your code distributed in a way that suggests someone ones it.

it was only a thought anyway :-)

------------------
Quote Reply
Just for the record, the Category Select Mod mentioned in padders' list of mods is already in the Resource Center as some of the other mods might already be as well.

Also for the record, my mods are not available to be incorporated into a "megalinks" type mod. They are for individual use as a mod for Links by individual Links users.
Quote Reply
That is now problem bobise... but i wonder if people are slightly mis understanding me.

The sole purpose of this is so that people (links users) with not so much knowledge can download a pre-modded links so that they do not have to install them themselves. Almost all the mods are in the resource center and a few are in this forum but that is not the point, it is to save people a) time, and b)if they could not do it and c) save the guys who made them a bit of time helping people install them for the xxxth time :-)
Quote Reply
hehe.. that's what i lack on my review.cgi script!!

Code:
# DO NOT USE MY CODE PADDERS! Smile

anyways.. it doesn't seem wrong.. but i don't like it either.. i rather have someone install it off my site than download another version that already has it in it.. i don't know why.. just i don't like the idea of someone else "distributing" the code in ANY way.. it would mean you practically own the code you are giving out. .which includes my own code that you got for free..

remember.. the only reason it's free is cause i want you people to use it.. but this is more than just using it..

jerry
Quote Reply
I sort of don't like it because the reason of this forum is to help those who don't know so much. If you gave away pre made/installed mods to those people, they will *never* learn, because they'll be to caught up with having it. I like doing stuff individually and if i have a problem i ask it here, but i wouldn't ask for someone to answer my problem and then have them install the whole mod. It would be a nice gesture but like most people say about education and stuff. "You have to do stuff yourself to learn more". Not the actual mod-making but at least installing so you see what it is each line means.

* - at least not for the time being.

------------------
-----------------
Lavon Russell
LookHard! Search
www.lh.yi.org
webmaster@lh.yi.org

Quote Reply
On the other end, Widgetz, the whole point of writing code, and modules, and subroutines is so you don't have to reinvent the wheel each time.

If a version was distributed that had the mods in it, and the headers had a list of the mods, and who did them, then that's better than now, where no headers are installed, and no record of the mods is kept.

How many people who installed any of your mods have a header line that says they did?

Quote Reply
hi,
i think the first thing to do is to get the permission of the all the great peole who made these mods first, and they should all be credited for their mods.

im working on adding some more mods to my Links 2, my site is still not active, im waiting to get everything working :
till now i have installed these mods :

-Reviews
-yahoo style subcategories
-mail list user delete
-PRIORITY and LOGO LINKS MOD
-Password for link owners
-Span Pages mod
-Alternate Categories

im working to add some more, mainly :

-Recommend It mod
-search category and subcategories
-Keywords mod
-Web Adverts Banner integration
-Category Referring to another category

now , imagine every user having to go through all the questions and answers, trials& errors, etc. especially that most are not cgi sxperts. as you guys said, it will save the mods owners the time as well as take some load off this forum, this time can be spent in inventing and discussing new I deas for Mods, like a mod for multiple databses.

i like the idea of enabling and disabling these mods through the admin screen, this could be the knocker of all mods.

Thanx

[This message has been edited by Laith (edited August 23, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Pugdog
I do, in my admin, I use it as my cgimain page.

------------------
-----------------
Lavon Russell
LookHard! Search
www.lh.yi.org
webmaster@lh.yi.org

Quote Reply
I think you should still do it Padders, because yeah, there are people who really don't know too much about cgi, and stuff. I think you should say not only what you did but also try and explain from your usage experience what they do maybe. Not everyone is gonna tell you you can't use their mods so just ask around. Nice site by the way.

------------------
-----------------
Lavon Russell
LookHard! Search
www.lh.yi.org
webmaster@lh.yi.org

[This message has been edited by Bmxer (edited August 23, 1999).]
Quote Reply
I think this idea is frought with problems. First of all, Links itself is a copyrighted work. In the Links readme.txt file is the following:

Quote:
Similarly, redistributing this program, or a program derived from Links, over the Internet, CD-Rom or any other medium is expressly forbidden without prior written consent.

So, you need Gossamer Thread's permission to do this. Next, you need the permission of each mod author to do the same.

Links is not designed to be all things to all people. It is a program that individuals can modify to fit their needs. If a mod isn't needed, it shouldn't be installed. I have noted that there are many people that frequent this forum that just have to install every single mod that comes down the road, whether they understand it or not or need it or not. It's a mod, so they want it.

I think it is best just to let each Links user determine what mod to install based on their individual needs. It is the entire basis of Links to begin with. As someone else stated, if someone has problems with perl and cannot install a mod, there are plenty of people who will do it for free or a fee, and there is this support forum full of helpful people.

Just my $0.02.
Quote Reply
ok... i think that sums it up....

can you close the thread now please... and please... no one email me asking for the code anymore :-) as the answer is no! :-)

------------------