Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Rate page mod

Quote Reply
Rate page mod
Looking for the code to change the link URL on the Rate It page so it opens up in a new window. Have checked the db_utils.pl and the site_html_templates.pl with no luck.

Thanks,

------------------
---
Robert Basil
Internet Systems
Chandler Unified School District #80

Quote Reply
Re: Rate page mod In reply to
In your rate.html template file....

Change:
<p>Please rate the link <strong><a href="<%URL%>"><%Title%></a></strong> between one and ten, with ten being tops.</p>

To:
<p>Please rate the link <strong><a href="<%URL%>" Target="_blank"><%Title%></a></strong> between one and ten, with ten being tops.</p>

[This message has been edited by crisco (edited March 30, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Crisco,

Thanks for the reply, but that's not what I was asking for. =)

I want the link that is on the "Rate-It" page to open up in a new window. I already have the normal link opening in a new window.

------------------
---
Robert Basil
Internet Systems

[This message has been edited by basilr (edited March 30, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Heh, yeah sorry. I edited the post again...

That should do it. See above.
Quote Reply
Crisco,

heh, sorry but that's still not what I am looking for. Maybe I should make myself more clear.

The page that lists the "top Rated" links is the one that I want to links to open up into a new window.

ie: http://www.yourdomain.com/Ratings

------------------
---
Robert Basil
Internet Systems

[This message has been edited by basilr (edited March 30, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Robert,

Just change the menu option for the Top Rated page to include a target="_blank" as part of the anchor tag.

[This message has been edited by Bobsie (edited March 30, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Ok,

While I thank you all for the reply's you are still not understanding what I am asking. Let me try again to explain.

#1 Links creates a page that show the top rated links on your site.

#2 On this page are a list of links.

#3 I want the links (the ones in the top-rated lists on the top-rated page) to open up a new browser window.

Thanks agin,

------------------
---
Robert Basil
Internet Systems

Quote Reply
Okay, guess I read it wrong also. Here is what you need to do.

Load nph-build.cgi in your editor and find the sub build_rate_page routine. You will find, near the bottom of the routine, code that looks like this in two places:

Quote:
<a href="$link{'URL'}">$link{'Title'}</a>

Just change them to say:

Quote:
<a target="blank" href="$link{'URL'}">$link{'Title'}</a>

That should do it.

[This message has been edited by Bobsie (edited March 30, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Small Correction:
<a target="_blank" href="$link{'URL'}">$link{'Title'}</a>

Thanks Bobsie, I was also looking for that. However, there is small correction. As far I know if you just put "blank" instead of "_blank" it actuallly looks for a page called "blank" in your directory. In order to launch a link in a new page it better to put underscore "_blank". I think you missed it. Just so everyone knows.
Quote Reply
Like I always say. When you ask a question it is probably better to give too much information than too little.

Smile
Quote Reply
Crisco and Bobsie,

That was the ticket. Thanks for the help and I'll try and make sure I explain myself better next time. =)

------------------
---
Robert Basil
Internet Systems

Quote Reply
socrates,

Thanks for pointing that out. Yes, I did mean to put "_blank", not "blank" in my answer. However, either way will work. The difference is, if you use "_blank" then a new window will always be opened. If you use "blank" (no underscore), then the link will always open in the same window (called "blank").

The browser will look for an open window called "blank", not a file as you said. If the browser finds one, then it will load the requested URL to that window. If the browser does not find one, then it will create (open) one, name it "blank", and load the URL into it. I do that all the time on my site. Every link I have that goes through jump.cgi has a target window called "jumpto".

Again, thanks for the note.
Quote Reply
Thanks for the explanation, Bobsie. I know what I know, I know what I read or hear (sometimes) and until what I know works, I don't know any better. Now I know.