Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Questiontime: Links as portfolio-database-tool...?

Quote Reply
Questiontime: Links as portfolio-database-tool...?
Hi,

I'm running Links 2 in the "traditional" role as links-directory. Actually I think about adding a portfolio section to my page, so that artists may promote their skills.

What do you think, should I use a modified version of Links for that task, or would DBMan be the better choice?

Any oppinion is welcome!

Kodak
Quote Reply
Re: Questiontime: Links as portfolio-database-tool...? In reply to
A lot depends on what the Admin's role might be.

If you're content with passing everything by the Admin, then Links with some sort of Detail Page mod would be where I'd start looking. On the other hand, if your plan will eventually call for photographer/artist access and maintenance of the portfolio pages, then DBman.

There is a hybrid, perhaps. You can call individual DBman records by URL, so you (or the user) could build the portfolio in DBman, then submit a link to your Links-driven index. The big negative on this approach is having multiple Admin screens.

Bob

[This message has been edited by bjordan (edited August 22, 1999).]
Quote Reply
bjordan,

thanx for your comment!

I think, best is like what you said, if photographers/artists will be able to create and update their portfolio for themself. Another reason why I should consider to choose DBMan is the possibility to do searches on different fields, like region...
Have a look at http://www.uscreative.com/newsite/index.html to see something close to it...

A Hybrid would be cool, I did also think about combinig it with my FreeWebspace script.

In this forum there has been a discussion on a mod by timryan, combining Links and DBMan
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...m12/HTML/000694.html .
Do you think this will be a good solution for my portfolio-stuff?

Kodak

Quote Reply

Quote:
I did also think about combinig it with my FreeWebspace script.

I've set up HomeFree to provide html space for contributors, but that does have the negative of multiple admin screens. It also requires the contributors to know a bit of html --not always the case. I'm still looking for a better way, and I've pretty much determined I'd rather have the ability to have multiple Detail Pages filed under a link.

Quote:
there has been a discussion on a mod by timryan, combining Links and DBMan
I'm watching that one, and have made a few posts to it, though I don't quite see where timryan plans to take it. Right now, it looks a little too "custom" --but I think it will address a lot of problems with Links.

One other negative re DBman vs Detailed pages: the DBman pages are not static, so it will cost you points with the search engines.
Quote Reply
bjordan,

Quote:
I've set up HomeFree to provide html space for contributors, but that does have the negative of multiple admin screens. It also requires the contributors to know a bit of html

Great, I do also use HomeFree! But it really seems not to be the best solution for our puposes...

Quote:
I'm watching that one, and have made a few posts to it, though I don't quite see where timryan plans to take it. Right now, it looks a little too "custom" --but I think it will address a lot of problems with Links.

That's also been my problem - I didn't exactly understand where the "marriage" will go to. I think we will just have to wait a bit...

Quote:
the DBman pages are not static, so it will cost you points with the search engines.
Yup, but in worst case I will have to live with that fact. Adding this service to my site is priority No.1 right now!

So what do you finally think: would DBMan be a good solution? Did you visit the USCreative page and check for their portfolio database?

Sometimes it's not that easy... Wink

Kodak
Quote Reply
I'd say UScreative is using something like HomeFree. Look at the URL of any specific portfolio, for instance.

If you're modeling your site after UScreative, I think DBman would not be the answer. What would you do with portfolios with multiple pages, or multiple works? Links/HomeFree gives you the best hybrid.

Bob
Quote Reply
I have to agree, that a combination of Links and HomeFree would do best for variable portfolios...

I like the idea of not limiting the portfolios to just a few data entry fields...

One of the most important things is to have a nice and powerful search, that lets you see whether if there is a "food-photographer" close available in your region... So I will have to combine all three of the scripts?!
Wooooohhhhh! That's alot of work Frown with the admin-stuff, and also for signing up.

Hello, is there anybody out there, who did this before? Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

bjordan, do you see any chance in combining those scripts? Maybe I will have to ask for some custom scripting on that...

Anyway, thanx for your ideas and suggestions, hope you'll stay tuned to this topic a little more time....

Kodak
Quote Reply
I haven't seen one thing in this thread related to a Links modification. Once again, we are discussing which is better to use, DBMan or Links. That is NOT the purpose of this forum. Please use the Links Discussion Forum to talk about such matters. This forum is for the discussion of mods. Lets try to stay on topic.

------------------
Bob Connors, Moderator
Links Modification Forum
Moderator Email: moderator@orphanage.com
Personal Email: bobsie@orphanage.com
goodstuff.orphanage.com/

Quote Reply
Bobsie,

sorry for posting in the wrong forum Wink

Kodak
Quote Reply
No need to feel embarassed or bad, Kodak. It was just a friendly reminder.
Quote Reply
Hey Bobsie,

I know... Wink Wink
Without moderation this would be a chaotic place, nobody would know where to find the right info...

I really appreciate your work, just keep on!

Take this for promise: this is my last posting to this thread!

Kodak