Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Problems with written accents

Quote Reply
Problems with written accents
Hi, i installed Links 2.0 and its almost working, but i found a big problem for spanish users. We use written accents in spanish (example: psicología), but when we search on the internet we never use the written accents (we write "psicologia"). The problem is that when i made a search on links 2 for the word "psicologia" (whitout written accent), the script is unable to find links containing the word "psicología" (with written accent). What can i do? I searched the forum and i was unable to find a solution.

--sorry for my english and thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Problems with written accents In reply to
One suggestion is to add another field (like the keywords field mod located in the Resource Center) that contains similar keywords that for links witht the different spelling.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.

Quote Reply
Thanks Eliot, i will try that Smile. I thougth there was another solution, like telling search.cgi that i=í or something like that, but im not a programer so i have no idea.
Quote Reply
There is...however, it is a bit more involved than that...and you would also need to use UNIX dictionary connections to use similar words or fuzzy word search.

I have provided a quick and dirty suggestion.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center

Quote Reply
    This is a very good thing to work on.... How or where can I do It?? Eliot (or someone else), can you make a sample code or tell me what to do??
Smile

Thank you very much....

[This message has been edited by Girus (edited April 17, 2000).]
Quote Reply
One example is to look at Htdigs fuzzy word search...which has been discussed in this forum before.

Go to http://www.htdig.org/ and look at the documentation related to fuzzy searches.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center

[This message has been edited by AnthroRules (edited April 17, 2000).]