Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Problem with building links in some Categories

Quote Reply
Problem with building links in some Categories
Hello,

Maybe sombody can help me.
I have about 520 links in 8 Categories. When I make "straggered all" function, one of Category, where I have 185 links, doesn't complete building all pages with links and stops at 4th page. But it should be at least
18 pages. Other Cats are build just fine, even with 120 links in it.
I tried to decrease a time limit in nph_build.cgi, but it doesn't help.

What's wrong?

Thanks in advance for your advice

Quote Reply
Re: Problem with building links in some Categories In reply to
Try Building it With Telnet.

-------------
Jeremy
Quote Reply
We have the same problem. 'Staggered' and 'Staggered (Auto)' pukes half way through the build --- every time. We fixed it by simply using 'Build All.' It works every time. BTW, we're running it under WinNT (Windows 2000).

'Staggered' always leaves us feeling staggered. IMO, 'Staggered' sucks. I don't know why it doesn't work and I don't care, 'cuz 'Build All' works and that's what counts (no pun intended). Hope this helps --- give that a try...

-------------------------
Lenon.com's Links 2.01
http://www.lenon.com
Quote Reply
What is the name of the category that is stopping the build process??? Please provide the exact name you've entered via admin.cgi.

Also, SnapHead, I am sure you are aware that there are Windows Scheduler programs that will automatically build your directory.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thanks for your answers.

The name of Category, that doesn't complet building process - Grusovaya_technica.

Ankom

Quote Reply
Hello

Have U got another categorie with the same beginning name?

Sorry for english...

Ciao

Quote Reply
jude,

No, I don't. But I have word "technica" in some Categories names.
For example, Kommunalnaya_technica, Posharnaya_technica, Stroitelnaya_technica. But thay don't cause any problems and are build completly.

Ankom

Quote Reply
Re: Windows Scheduler programs In reply to
Hmm... are you referring to this thread or another, Eliot? I was saying that 'Staggered/Staggered(Auto)' never completely builds our files. They always stop somewhere around the L's. 'Build All' doesn't do this...

RU saying that by using a Windows Scheduler we can bypass the process entirely?

Lenon.com's Links 2.01
Quote Reply
What I am saying is that the problem with STAGGERED build, Snap Head, is that it tends to time out a lot quicker than using the BUILD ALL option.

So, if you use a Windows Scheduler program (like Crontab for Unix and Linux servers), then you can use BUILD STAGGERED without timing out.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
What I am saying is that the problem with STAGGERED build, Snap Head, is that it tends to time out a lot quicker than using the BUILD ALL option.
Agreed! Okay, I understand now. I've noticed that 'Build All' builds file V quickly, while 'Staggered' is hideously slow.

We've only recently done a complete overhaul of our Links program --- having moved to a new hosting service. Many links were deleted. We're probably down to less than 300 links right now. 'Build All' completes its' task(s) in seconds. 'Staggered' languishes like a fat lady in a candy store.

Anyway, I wonder if he tried 'Build All' yet. If not, he must have some reason for not using it. I wonder...

Lenon.com's Links 2.01