Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Password Modify Mod

Quote Reply
Password Modify Mod
I've installed Password Modify Mod for Templates, and it seems to be working fine, except that when the user submits the modify form, ID field is replaced by the current date. Modify First template calls the correct record, and ID field (hidden) shows okay in the modify form. I don't ask for the current date anywhere. I can't figure out where it's coming from, or why it's replacing my ID field.

Anyone else have this problem? or perhaps a suggestion?

Thanks,

Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: Password Modify Mod In reply to
You need to include the Date field as a hidden field in the modify.html template file like the following:

Code:
<input type="hidden" name="Date" value="<%Date%>">

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
I tried that. The script pulls "Date" from the database, and prints it correctly in the hidden field in the modify form, and when the form is submitted "Date" returns to the modified database okay. Only thing is, the value in the ID field is changed to today's date - which is coming right out of the blue.

I've played with the fields, adding and subtracting some to the modify form, thinking that the problem might just be that the fields were getting out of sync. Nothing works. And I'm not asking it for a new date in the first place. The only "date" field in the Def is the standard Date field. The script seems to be intentionally switching ID for "Today's Date."

I've looked through the modified code (I'm not great at this), but I don't see anywhere that it calls for a new date.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks,

Jeff

[This message has been edited by jcom (edited March 02, 2000).]
Quote Reply
These are the codes that add the new date:

Code:
$in{$db_cols[$db_modified]} = &get_date;

Make sure that you have a $db_modified variable in your IMPORTANT VARIABLES section in the links.def file. This variable should reference your Date field.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Thanks!

It was so simple. I had the date field in links.def labeled $db_date instead of $db_modified. Overlooking the obvious often costs a lot in wasted hours of struggle.

Works perfectly now!

Jeff
Quote Reply
You're welcome.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Hi Jeff, do you think you can email me a copy of the links which you manage to add the password mod ? I have actually tried more then 10 times trying to integrate the mod but with no luck at all. Sigh.
Thank You in advance.

Now I am currently trying to add the upload mod which is being done by the same person, Phoenix, but still have some glitch. The file manage to be uploaded into the server but it doesn't appear on the page where it suppose to display the image.... weird weird...
Quote Reply
Vincent,

Some Advice...Install one Mod at a time.

Widgetz posted some code fix for the problem you are experiencing in another recent Topic that was replied to in the last two days.

Also, remember that you need to add the Password field in your links.def file and also upgrade your database to include this new field in your existing database before installing the Modify Mod.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Vincent,

With this "password modify mod" I was working with a new Links installation on my server, a fresh copy with just the default files included. I only added two categories, and one link, just so I would have something to work with while I tested out the mod installation. With only one link in the database, you can easily make changes to your Links Def, and there is only one record to modify or delete in Admin as you explore the installation - you can go back to the beginning easily.

This makes the process less complicated than trying to deal with an existing database, complicated field structures and such (other mods, etc), which might also be causing problems. When things don't work, it's often hard to figure out where the problem is, so having the most basic configuration helps.

When AntroRules pointed out my error, it was a simple matter to correct the problem, and since everything else about my installation was default, I knew where I stood as far as the password mod itself. Then, I was in a position to adjust the mod to what I was really trying to do.

For me it seems to be working fine just as detailed in Resources.

Jeff