Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Need help with FrontPage

Quote Reply
Need help with FrontPage
Here is my situation:
I have a site located at
www.fantasysportsindex.com (root location=/home/htdocs/fantasysportsindex/)
My "links" site is located at
www.unrivaled.com (root location=/home/htdocs/fantasysportsindex/unrivaled/)

I am having a problem figuring out how to keep FrontPage from deleting "unrivaled" when I publish "fantasysportsindex". FP sees the "unrivaled" folder on the server, but since there is not a folder "unrivaled" in FP - it erases the contents of the unrivaled folder off of the server.

Anyone know how I can do this? (I can't just add a folder named "unrivaled" since it's contents is generated by links.)

Thanks for any help,
Chad

[This message has been edited by Chad J (edited November 06, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Chad J (edited November 06, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Re: Need help with FrontPage In reply to
You could create a folder in Front Page with a blank .shtml or html file that will be overwritten when you build your directory.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Eliot,
I don't quite understand. Could you plaese give me a little more information on what you mean?

Thanks,
Chad
Quote Reply
Ah...yea...

1) MAKE a directory in your local Front Page Web.

2) Create a blank index.html or index.shtml (depending on what you set in the links.cfg file). (Meaning that you create this through another editor like WordPad or NotePad. This file should not have any HTML codes in it.)

3) Publish the Web to your server.

4) Rebuild your index.

Don't know how to make this more clearer.

Also, make sure that you change the permissions of this new directory (unrivaled) on your SERVER to 777.

Regards,
Quote Reply
This did not work. I tried putting a folder named "unrivaled" in my "fantasysportsindex" web. Then put an index.shtml file inside the "unrivaled" folder (with nothing on the .shtml file) Then I published "fantasysportsindex". It re-wrote my original index.shtml file (inside the "unrivaled" folder). Then I re-built my links site.

I then tried publishing a modified file in "fantasysportsindex" - It then deleted the contents of my "unrivaled" folder (links).

This is the same thing it has been doing.

If I am missing something, please let me know.

Thanks, Chad
Quote Reply
Ok, I think I found the problem.
If anyone else runs into the problems above using FP2000, then here is the probable solution.

You can't put "links" into a folder under your main site, it has to be in a folder 'next' to your main site in the structural hierarchy.

For example:
You have a site "www.yoursite.com"
All of the 'guts' for Links is located at "www.yoursite.com/links"

The root URL looks like this:
/full/path/yoursite/links

FP2000 wants to (and will) erase some of the contents in the 'links' folder, because the parent folder 'yoursite' is the site that you normally publish to (www.yoursite.com) - FP doesn't have the folder 'links' (as it is only on the server) and it will erase it on te server without asking you (wonderful part of FP2000!)

Solution:
Change the links dirctory out of the web you are publishing to, and put it next to the directory.
Example: you had:
/full/path/yoursite/links

CHANGE IT TO:

/full/path/yoursite
&
/full/path/links

If your pages are disappearing and you are using FP, this might be why.

Sorry so long winded!

Chad