My own LinkSQL

My own LinkSQL
Hi!

Iīve convert my existing links 2.0 database
of 20,000 Links into my own SQL - Database. At the moment
Iīm able to browse through the categories, select links
an to search very quick. Now Iīve come up with an idea:
why not write my own software.

Is there anybody out there willing to support / work with me? I will do a links-mod using sql and that one will come
for free. The other plan is to do my(our) very own software
and sell it for around $50 (not those $375 update).

In my opinion Links 2.0 is very good, but the sql-version
is way to expencive. So any help and suggestions are welcome.
At the moment Iīm creating a project - website, until then
you can reach me via email: heydt@infowelt.net

Thanks,
jens

Re: My own LinkSQL In reply to
This request should not be posted in this forum....since this forum deals with ADD-ons and CODE-hacks for Links 2.0....

Regards,

Eliot Lee

As I stated above: Iīll do a links-MOD using SQL as well.
Isnīt that a modification ?

Iīve created a rough web-site on this topic as well:
http://62.26.125.12

see you,
jens

i don't think your're allowed to sell it if you used links and then just changed it into sql, because Gossamer who makes links 2.0 already has an sql version out.

Bmxer is ASBOLUTELY correct...you cannot create another SQL script for Links...it would be infringement of copyright laws.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Hi,
I DONīT want to do a SQL-MOD for links 2.0 and sell it ...

I will do a mod for FREE and ALSO do my own complete
myLinkSQL. For more infos: http://62.26.125.12

Jens(floyd)

Even if you do not sell it, it would still be an infringement of copyright...You would be taking the codes from the Links 2.0 (which are copyrighted) and then changing them to work with SQL (which there is already a version for it), and again would be infringement of copyright.

You have guts for posting a request like this publicly.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Hmm. I canīt understand this....

Iīve not made anything public up to this point.
But how can all those mods and adjustments you can
download through this site be legal, if my mod would be
illegal ?

Just to make it clear (for you and myself):
myLinkSQL will not contain ANY code of gossamer-threads at
all! Iīve sooner introduced the topic of searching with GREP and you and some other guys liked that idea and implemented that as well. Is that also illegal ??

jens (floyd)

Hi!
In my point of view, it's no problem to hack Links 2.0 to work with mySQL in the view of legal issues. But making this hack public would maybee a problem. Because Links is not under GPL, Gossamer Threads may forbid you to make this hack public!

(Would be very nice, if Links 2.0 goes GPL!)

But I also would like to see a free Links with mySQL. Perhabs U can contact Gossamer Threads direct and ask them. I think they don't want loose much money, if there would be a free Links 2.0 mySQL, because many people buy software, because thay want service...

and last: I thinks it's NO PROBLEM doing a mySQL-based myLinks, because it's just an addon and no modified links!

Bye
Tiggr

Ok, I understand that I canīt distibute the complete, letīs say, site_html.pl with my modifications. But what I may do is: use a unix-patch - file, or just tell you where to insert what line...
shouldnīt be a prob,

jens (floyd)

One question, why does the price on your site contradict itself w/ another price on your site?

Quote-->
In opposit to Links SQL, myLinkSQL will be completely free for non-profit organisations.
<--Unquote
And then later on,
Quote-->
If Iīm right, Links SQL cost about $425. A quiet impressive
amount of money. Our myLinkSQL will be $50.
<--Unquote

Yep...looks to me like you ARE planning on selling this as a complete package...which is definitely illegal. As for distributing the hack, you cannot do that...look at the Copyright statements in the Links 2.0 scripts.

At this point, I would recommend you contact Gossamer Threads directly and ask them for permission to do this...betcha you won't get it!

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Hi,
just to make myself clear:

On my site it says: "for non commercial... itīs free"
otherīs pay $50 for myLinkSQL.
The MOD for links 2.0 on the other hand will be free .
man, whatīs up with you all ? I know that my english is
not that perfect but I though I said all there had to say to
understand the meaning.
jens (floyd)

Yea...the meaning is...you are taking a copyrighted script, hacking it to be like another version already on the market, and you are planning on distributing it without consent or permission from Gossamer Threads, the original authors and copyright holders of Links 2.0, LINKS SQL, etc.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

ok, I can understand that I could be a problem with gossamer-threads, so Iīll will ask them.

But I also wanted to know who wanted to help me with my new programm...

jens (floyd)

Count me out...can of worms in terms of illegal activity.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Moderator Hat On

To all participants in this thread:

1. Any discussion of any mod(s) for Links v2.0 involving mySQL, PHP, or anything else, is completely proper and allowed.

2. Discussion of whether or not someone can distribute the code or charge money for it is not a proper forum posting since it does not involve customization of the Links v2.0 code.

3. What is or is not allowed in this forum is a matter to be decided by the moderator(s), not individual posters. Please do not tell people what they can or cannot post -- let the moderators do their job.

4. Links v2.0 copyright issues are to be discussed between the parties themselves separate from this forum (i.e., email between the programmer and Gossamer Threads, Inc.) and are not a matter of speculation to be discussed here.

5. Soliciting for programmers to help with a mod or to write new programs or to install a mod is not something proper for this forum. If you have a mod you need help with, then solicit the people privately (email again). The Resource Center has a list of people available.

'Nuff said!

Moderator Hat Off

- Bobsie
bobsie@orphanage.com
http://goodstuff.orphanage.com/