Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

More Detail Fields....

Quote Reply
More Detail Fields....
III'm not sure if anybody is interested....but I am close to implementing a multiple dbase system utilizing 3 separate detail fields for description. So, if you have products/etc... and you want to be able to have multiple descriptions, but you don't want a large dbase.....
I've got the build part down...
when the dbase gets loaded and set to %rec...define some appropriate variables for teh other dbase's and load them as well....set some "Yes/No" flags in main dbase to test for...then, do a series of if else test's....
If Detail1...
send %rec and %detail rec to buil_detail_html.pl and print $detail{'detail_field'} for the desc.......
will check back later....

I just need to have the add/modify/delete work now....
Quote Reply
Re: More Detail Fields.... In reply to
And don't forget about the search.cgi script. The forseeable problem I have with this mod is the inability to search through fields that go into these other database files. I love this idea for a mod since it would save space in the links.db file.

However, I think that the search.cgi needs to be edited to be able to search in a seamless manner through these other .db files. That is if you want to search the fields that you put into these separate database files.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
If this works, will it be possible to implement the same thing for categories ?
i.e. to have a database file for each category.

Quote Reply
phase 1 is done. I can build mutiple dbases related by ID field.... I set up the definitions in link.def currently because they really don't need their own def file if you load the data into dim arrays or %hash's then pass those varialbles calling %hash{'field'} for each %hash{'ID'}......
Quote Reply
Laith..
wouldn't you want to create a CLASS called "category" then create instances or "objects" that represent each category???
Quote Reply
I don't see why not, but right now, I'm trying to figure out what will be the most efficient way of doing this. Do I create three separate build_routines that pass do one site_html_detail routine....or do I cram it all into the build_detail routine and create 3 separate site_html_detail routines??
And...programming question? Wouldn't it be better to use/pass variables as references to the data/variables...rather than having the actual data passed? Wouldn't this be more secure by not actually pointing to the data? +++Save MEM by not having to store more data but just storing an address???
I don't see why through loading multi-dim arrays and having multi dbases' that we cannot create a relational dbase?? Anyone want to discuss this?

I am currently experiencing difficulties loading the other dbases into a hash to be sent over to site_html.....
For some reason it's kicking out of the while loop after first pass??? I must admit ..I am a C++ programmer..but have been learning perl through use....for some time now. Hell It was written by C++ therefore, very familiar....Peace.
Rob
Quote Reply
i have an idea that is similar to what you are trying to do .

I posted a message earlier about the possibility of storing one field in a text file. like am building a bookstore, and i have reviews for books, which can reac hup to 1000 characters / review .
si if i can just same that fields in a text file and name it : ID.txt
then when Links whants to display the info for a book, it just has to read the file, and print the contents .

this concenp is used in a news edior called " NewsDesk " it is great and saves alot of space .

im going to try it and see what happens .

regarding your last question, i meant that if we can make a separate database for each category, it would be great .

Laith,