Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Modify Mod!

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: Modify Mod! In reply to
Hi DogTags!

Category is selected okay - not sure about altcategories. I'll check.

I had an error with one of the fields I added, which the mod regardless what was in that field simply saying this field cannot be left blank.

For the time being I changed the links.def and that got over that.

However now it appears the db is corrupted - information is all over the place. I used the cgi script to add all these fields one by one - however I now have a db which is corrupted.

Can someone tell me manually how I fix the links.db.

Step by step in email would be a great help.

------------------
www.nzcid.godzone.net.nz
New Zealand Christian Internet Directory

Quote Reply
Hi All!

Here is what happening!

When I modify a entry the form calls the infomation of the link correctly on the form. All the info is in the right places - the problem happens when one submits the info back to the db again.

The category - altecategories do not appear on the modify.success.html.

And several fileds are posted in the wrong place.

Here is the output of the modify.sucess.html

Code:
URL: http://www.nzcid.org.nz
Category:
AltCategories:
Description: This is a test to see what happens when I add a link to this site.~~PO Box 43000,Managere Town Centre, Mangere
Address:
Region:
Contact Name: Ian Conza
Contact Email: webmaster@nzcid.org.nz
Phone: Wellington~~64 9 267 1663
FAX: 64 9 275 3764
Free Phone:

Note

no category or alcategory showing - tried AltCategories and altcategories in both the form and the appropiate sub.

address has been added to the end of description.

my region in this case "Wellington" has been added to my phone field.

To check everything was alright with the db, I downloaded it and checked that all the delimiters were in the right place. I also deleted this test link and added it again and that works wonderfully well. All fields put in right place and added successfully to the db.

So, it is not my db that is corrupted - the mod sequence is doing something it should not be.

DogTags!

Thanks for the email. Testing things late at night and being tired one jumps to the wrong conclusion.

I am now at a loss what to do here.
Quote Reply
Hi Elliot!

Yup makes sense ! Only said that I had tried both versions so one could see I have tested both ways.

The way the data is being posted by the form back to the database is going wrong..

And that no matter which way I try with Category or category or AltCategories or altcategories they are not showing on up on the modify.sucess.html.

I originally thought it was my db that was corrupt but in add a test entry that is posted ok and adds to the db all correctly. So it comes down to something the modify form is doing or at least that is the way I see it.

You can see what I mean by looking at the data I posted from the modify.sucess.html page.

Address and Region are added to two fileds that they should not be.

------------------
www.nzcid.godzone.net.nz

Quote Reply
Well...the problem is that you may not have properly upgraded your database like you should have.

And Ian...the codes work fine for me...

<%category%>
<%altcategories%>

in the forms.

and

<%Category%>
<%AltCategories%>

to print the fields in the success page.

Also, this may shed some light...Your sub-routine in the site_html_templates.pl should look like the following:

sub site_html_modify_sucess

Code:
sub site_html_modify_success {
# --------------------------------------------------------
# This routine determines how the modify success page will look like.

&html_print_headers;
print &load_template ('modify_success.html', {
%in,
%globals
});
}

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. Smile
----------------------

[This message has been edited by Eliot (edited February 13, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Eliot (edited February 13, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Hi Elliot!

My modify.sucess is the same as yours

Code:
sub site_html_modify_success {
# --------------------------------------------------------
# This routine determines how the modify success page will look like.

&html_print_headers;
print &load_template ('modify_success.html', {
%in,
%globals
});
}

And on my forms I have as you have :

<%category%><%altcategories%>

On the success page

<%Category%><AltCategories%>

No different so far..

Database: If tyhe add.html form works correctly and posts every field correctly can I say that my links.db is okay.

If not how do I check my links.db has been upgraded correctly.

No matter what I do when I mod a test link it is adding my address to the desciption and a Region field to the Phone field.

I apologise for being such a pest on this but I seem to have followed everyone instructions and still I am running into problems.

I have not mentioned that as part of all this the "Region" field was a required field and after I made your corrections it still said this field could not be left blank when in fact it was filled. In the end I simply changed the links.def so that issue went away.

------------------
www.nzcid.godzone.net.nz

Quote Reply
Well, I don't know what your problem is, Ian. I have provided all the suggestions I have at this time based on what works for me.

Best of luck.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. :)
----------------------

Quote Reply
HI Elliot!

As always I appreciate your expertise and I guess I am a little frayed around the edges with this one.

Many thanks for your help.

------------------
www.nzcid.godzone.net.nz

Quote Reply
I sure am glad that you guys are getting to the bottom of this, because I was just completely clueless. I've never tried making the AltCategories mod available to the end-user, so anything related to that would have sunk me even if I could remember.

Phoenix
Quote Reply
No problem, Phoenix...Not your fault nor responsibility. Links USERS need to be more adaptable in installing new Mods and make them work with other Mods...Not the responsibility of MOD AUTHORS to constantly re-write their mods.

Thanks...for the Mod...I have hacked it quite a bit to fit my purposes...including adding a confirmation screen in the modify.cgi script, based on the Add Confirmation Mod. (and also further field verification).

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Hi All!

Just note of thanks for all the assistance I was given with this mod. Everything is working correctly now.

As Elliot puts it, it was "DUH" thing..

------------------
www.nzcid.godzone.net.nz

Quote Reply
And for the benefit of others who come across the problems you've experienced, please post the solution you found, Ian.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Not sure if it was better to post it here or post a new thread, but I have a problem also with this modify mod.
I have the exclude, and category select mods also running too.

when I go to modify.cgi page and write an id number and leave the password field blank I get a blank page with the "Unkown Tag: Current URL" message written on it. dont know why this is happening.
but if I write the correct id number and the correct password then it finds the correct link and brings it to be modified. but again there are problems with this too, when it brigns the link to be modified, it missed the description field.. that comes blank. also when I make a modification and submit it it brings me again back to modify_first.html page and doesnt modify the link at all..

any helps on this..?

thanks
Quote Reply
Exactly which Modify Mod are you using? There is more than one.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
I was trying to implement password modify mod by phoenix, and also I was going to use password 1.0 from hostglobal.com together with phoenix's mod.

[This message has been edited by Ugur (edited April 02, 2000).]
Quote Reply

Quote:
but since the

But since the what??

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Have you added a "Password" field in your links.def and your existing links.db file?

If not, you need to add this field for the Modify Mod to work.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
dont know how that "But since the what" got there... Smile
Quote Reply
yes I have made those changes, thats why if I write the correct id and the correct password, it finds the correct link.. but still does not make the modification that I enter.
Quote Reply
In your modify.html file, you need to add hidden fields for all the fields in your links.def with the value="<%tag%>" codes. Same thing for modify_error.html file.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
How difficult would it be for this Links mod to be "modified" such that it would key on the Title field instead of the ID field?

I am trying to implement Links as a pseudo "telephone directory" for our homeowner's association. The Title field is the homeowner's last name. I have populated the directory with information which (admittedly) may not be up-to-date, so I would like the homeowners an opportunity to modify their record by entering their last name (title) and a password in a modify_first.html form.

I have tried following the mod's code and changing anything which reads "ID" with "Title" (eg. $in{'ID'} to $in{'Title'}) but, of course, that didn't work (that would be too easy, eh? :-). So, without knowing exactly what is happening, I am at a loss how to change this for my needs. For what it's worth, I would want the feature of emailing a password as well (not asking too much now am I? :-)

If anyone could assist me in this, I would be very grateful. I emailed Phoenix to get his input, but never received a reply.

Thanks!

ps. Eliot, would your password modify (which I came across while searching this forum) permit me to do this?
Quote Reply
The only thing that my Password Modify Mod does is sends out an email message to the "Link Owner" if they forgot their password.

You would have to use Phoenix's Modify Password Mod or Bobsie's Modify Mod, both located in the Resource Center.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.

Quote Reply
Ok, thanks for the clarification.

Any suggestions how I might implement the above?
> >