Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Make visitor vote before they continue!

Quote Reply
Make visitor vote before they continue!
Hi!!!! I'm wondering how to make people vote after 5 (and every 5) visits of any of the link on the site... before they can continue. In other words, make them (click on the rate-it link) to use rate.cgi after they use jump.cgi 5 times and every 5 times.

Here's the procedures:
1. User uses 5 times of jump.cgi
2. Another use of jump.cgi will be appear as error and will not redirect to the real location
3. User now must click on rate-it once in order to contiune for another 5 use of jump.cgi
4. repeat step 2-3 as necessary

... I always have some idea that need help with. Don't worry about visitor gets frustrated... I know what I'm doing Smile
I would be really appreciate for any of your help!!

ps. Need reminder on how to change 123 : abc into 123 > abc @title.

Thanks a Billion^2

Robbie
Quote Reply
Re: Make visitor vote before they continue! In reply to
forget this post.. it was wrong..

jerry

[This message has been edited by widgetz (edited November 13, 1999).]
Quote Reply
oops.. i guess i misunderstood you.. what you want to do requires cookies.. download Matt Wright's cookie.lib and then put something like

Code:
&GetCookies('Count');

$count = $Cookies{'Count'}++;
&SetCookies('Count', $count);

if ($count % 5) {
# do regular stuff
}
else { print "Location: $build_rate_url?ID=$id"; }
Quote Reply
Mmmmm... cookies..
Know nothing about it....
Mmmmm... cookies..

Robbie
Quote Reply
hmm... i'd just change the 'detailed.html' template to be a frameset, and have links build 2 pages for the detailed view like so:

in nph-build.cgi under sub build_detailed_view you see
Code:
open (DETAIL, ">$build_detail_path/$id$build_extension") or &cgierr ("Unable to build detail page: $build_detail_path/$id$build_extension. Reason: $!");
print DETAIL &site_html_detailed (%rec);
close DETAIL;

directly under that, add
Code:
open (DETAIL, ">$build_detail_path/$idtop$build_extension") or &cgierr ("Unable to build detail page: $build_detail_path/$idtop$build_extension. Reason: $!");
print DETAIL &site_html_detailed_top (%rec);
close DETAIL;

now, you'll need to make a "sub site_html_detailed_top" in site_html_templates.pl or site_html.pl (for templates, i usually just copy the sub straight over) and in templates, you see:

Code:
return &load_template ('detailed.html', {

change that to:
Code:
return &load_template ('detailed_top.html', {
for sub site_html_detailed_top

and be sure to make detailed_top.html

understand?

--Tom

p.s. i'd show you my current project, but it's really unsecure right now (paranoid about hackers)... it's got 5 frames... home page in one, search page in another, my common site nav bar in another, categories (well, most of them) in another, and links in the other. i'm currently building 2 pages for each category (was building 3 a while ago), and i've got over 8000 categories. (well, only about 1500 build, but i've got 8000 total)

[This message has been edited by garadon (edited November 14, 1999).]
Quote Reply
oh, btw, someone did this in
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...um3/HTML/001697.html
you may want to ask him about it.
Quote Reply
A problem that I see with making them vote before they go on is that they need to see the web page first before than can vote accurately.

This is what I've been thinking about doing...

Have javascript open a small voting window with a Rate-it menu.

or

Have a small frame at the top with a rate-it menu. The frame would be much like AskJeeves or about.com.

Those are two ideas I've had on getting people to vote more often. I'd love to hear other ideas.
Quote Reply
i made the top frame mod like a LONG time ago.. i forgot the thread.. but maybe ELIOT remembers..

jerry
Quote Reply
if you go to

http://www.anthrotech.com/...wwwvl/jump.cgi?ID=18

you can see what i am talking about..

the code for that mod is somewhere inside of this forum.. i don't remember what it was called though

jerry
Quote Reply
I keep searching for this mod - does anyone know where I can find it?

Update: Found it, thanks!

[This message has been edited by Gerrit (edited December 12, 1999).]
Quote Reply
To get more votes for my link owners, I created a vote link button, and a form they can use (one or the other) on their site. Visitors to their site, whether they get there from the links index, or surfing or whatever, can vote right there on their site. It also helps my index get more visits, becuase the rating results page is part of my index.
I find that sites in my index with a "rate my site" link or form on their web site get many more votes than sites in the index without a form on the actual site.
The mod is easy to do, if anyone wants or need to know how to do it, let me know, and I'll post it.

------------------
Greg Gaub
flux@snapbag.com
The TRANSFORMERS Links Index
http://flux.snapbag.com/...nks/pages/index.html
Quote Reply
Greg,

There is already an External Rate It form that works well with templates in the Resource Center.

Cheers.

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Thanks anyway. There is a purpose that I'm saying those things on my post at the top of this page. In other words, it doesn't has to be work with rate.cgi... I want to make it to work with other cgi script as well.