Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

MY LINKS

(Page 3 of 4)
> > > >
Quote Reply
Re: MY LINKS In reply to
Hey Widgetz, why donīt you create an HTML page with all the instructions and put it in you links mods pages?

For me itīs a lot confusing this thread....

Thanks....
Quote Reply
He said before he's not gonna do anything until he gets good looking templates.
Quote Reply
This is a great mod. Wouldn't it be cool if upon entering the site they could enter their name so instead of MyLinks, it would say for example "Jerry's Links"?

--------------------
Just to add a twist, a lot of folks here also have UBB installed, so combining a personalized site for links and UBB at the same time, where they can have their name Jerry's Bulletin Board or Jerry's Links somewhere on the page even if they switch from links to ubb.
Quote Reply
I believe that Jerry is working on this for the SQL version. The only thing that I can of that could possibly work with the Standard version of LINKS is to create sub-routines in the mylinks.cgi file that adds names to their cookie file.

How to do this?...I don't know.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
i'm actually in the process of making a script that will help me "make" the instructions for all the mods.. it will also have an intro page with requirements so you guys don't email me with your emails about something not working Wink

anyways.. i've gathered all my forum mods and put it into the script that pretty much automates and counts how many times you guys download and stuff.. (yes.. it's Links 2.0).. Smile it has alot of addons though...

i felt like installing it again at hypermart cause i was losing my knowledge of the scripts.. MyLinks.cgi totally looks like it's for Links SQL, cause i've been too attached to Links SQL code Smile

if the random doesn't work.. you can make it into a few more lines.. i did that to try and get all that code onto one line...

Code:
my $r = int rand $#db;
my $random = $db[$r];
my @random = &split_decode ($random);
my %random = &array_to_hash (0, @random);

doh.. i figured it out.. see how links 2.0 illiterate 've become..

retry it with

Code:
my (%random) = &array_to_hash(0, &split_decode($db[int rand $#db]));

jerry
Quote Reply
does CGI.pm come with the server? or can you download it?
Quote Reply
also.. if you have UBB.. i could make it save the data forever.. just by adding fields to the member file.. and changing the cookies..

jerry
Quote Reply
it's usually with every server.. but you can download it.. it's at cgi-resources in the perl libraries and modules..

jerry
Quote Reply
Widgetz wrote a really cool module script that checks all your modules located on your server. The script was written in a Thread in the Perl/CGI Forum. If you can't find it, I am sure that Widgetz can give it to you.

You can also download cgi modules at

www.cpan.org

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
ok.. i actually just did a rand 7000.. but here is something that will do it based on links.db..

Code:
open DB, $db_file_name;
my @db = <DB>;
close DB;

my (%random) = &array_to_hash(&split_decode($db[int rand $#db]));

and then just add

%random to the hash being sent into site_html_my_home like this

Code:
&site_html_my_home ( { %random, %OUT } );

then you can say like

Code:
ADD <a href="mylinks.cgi?add=<%ID%>"><%Title%></a>!

jerry

[This message has been edited by widgetz (edited November 27, 1999).]
Quote Reply

Quote:
also.. if you have UBB.. i could make it save the data forever.. just by adding fields to the member file.. and changing
the cookies..

That is a really cool idea for people who are not using SQL. You could just save all the memeber info in there. I think there is a free version of UBB available too.

Is it possible to make so users can add other external links also?

[This message has been edited by socrates (edited November 27, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Thanks to your module checker widgetz, i found that i do have the cgi.pm and cgi/carp.

Question: I don't use templates (i guess i'm just old fashioned) so this means that i just have to add more subroutines in site_html.pl right? Would there be anything else that i would have to do? Thanks again, and great work.

-Greg
Quote Reply
that module checker counts one less Smile

i forgot that i was working with an array..

right now i'm making a very high bandwidth version of Links 2.0 :^).. i'm gonna use it on hypermart so i don't care.. i'm just making everything into one CGI file.. so all the pages are dynamic rather than building the pages..

jerry
Quote Reply
Jerry, i’m with my numlinks problem, sorry about this
I tried you those or lines,
$output .= qq|<dl><dt><strong><a class="link" href="$url">$category_name</a></strong> |;$output .= qq|<small class="numlinks">($numlinks)</small> | if ($cat =~ m,/,);

it is not printing any num links at all, homepage or categories,
Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
sorry.. $cat should be $subcat

jerry
Quote Reply
I'm looking for CGI/Carp and CGI.PM on my server. Here's the section that I see.
Quote:
CGI::Apache
CGI::Carp
CGI::Cookie
CGI::Fast
CGI::Push
CGI::Switch
CGI
CPAN::FirstTime
CPAN::Nox
CPAN
Carp
I don't see CGI.PM at all. Exactly how is it identified and is it necessary to run mylinks.cgi?

------------------
Will
Webmaster
FishHoo! Search index for Fishermen
www.fishhoo.com
Quote Reply
the script cuts out the .pm and changes / to ::

it's sorta how it's written in perl..

use CGI ();
use CGI::Carp qw/fatalsToBrowser/;

so yes.. you do have them.. everyone should..

jerry
Quote Reply
Jerry, Thank you thank you !!! Smile Smile
it works Wink
Quote Reply
I sure am glad because my sysadmin just about has a stroke every time I ask him to install a new module.

Jerry, please take your time and get this just right. A mod like this could encourage your visitors to stay on your site longer (stickyness) which should be good for advertising sales. That's why I think it could be very important.

------------------
Will
Webmaster
FishHoo! Search index for Fishermen
www.fishhoo.com
Quote Reply
bad post

[This message has been edited by Bmxer (edited November 27, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Its already right, it works fine, but i guess you want easy instructions.
Widgetz,
The random code works well, thanks.
Quote Reply
The random codes work great.

Thanks.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
for non-templates, would i need to make the subroutines in site_html.pl? is there anything else i would need to do?
Quote Reply
You would have to make the sub-routines mentioned in earlier instructions. Rather than the C++ tags, like <%total%>, you would have to use $total.

Copy the sub site_html_rate_form and use that sub-routine as a "template" for the new sub-routines.

Good luck.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
actually.. the code i am using would work the same for non templates.. the thing is that you can't use

$total cause i programed it in strict.. but you can just do like

Code:
sub site_html_my_home {
my $tags = shift;

print qq~
<html>
<head>
<title>title</title>
<body>
${$tags}{'total'}
</body>
</html>