Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

List of Modules that should be checked for any Mod changes we do.

Quote Reply
List of Modules that should be checked for any Mod changes we do.
I would like to know all the modules that are used by Links2. This way we can keep this as a check list for any Mods we do for Links2.
Quote Reply
Re: List of Modules that should be checked for any Mod changes we do. In reply to
I've thought of doing something like this, but it's a pretty big job, and if a change is in the works from Alex, it could make it all pretty much obsolete...

But, I had started to outline the way links makes calls -- ie: when you "add" a link, what sub's in which modules are called.

I had also started to work on a list of what subs were in each file so I could more easily track it down.

If you are interested, It's a worthwhile project, if more than one or two people are willing to jump in on it, and the 'master' file is kept somewhere easily accessible.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: List of Modules that should be checked for any Mod changes we do. In reply to
Yes, I wonder if we can get some others to split the load. I do not think it would be obsolete as many of us have so many of our own mods we would probably just ad our own changes to our current version. Either that or pull our hairs out re-doing a new version of links2 to be like our own versions.
You know, as I think of this... it sure would be nice if we all maintained to nice modularized structure of links and made "plug-ins" or library plugins for any updated versions. This way we could all keep our current version (being sure not to bastardize it internally with our own updates/code) and just plugin modules we want and/or need.
TimRyan

[This message has been edited by TimRyan99 (edited July 26, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Well, I've thought of that... but Alex would have to agree to the plan.

The problem is that his links 2.0 code is in that in-between-area of freeware/shareware/open source. Free for some use, paid for commercial use, with freely distributed code.

At what point do our contributions affect his code license, and vice versa.

Documenting the code isn't much of a problem in that respect, but smoothing out and refining anything would be.

It kind of depends on Alex, and what his plans for links 2.0 are in light of LinkSQL.

Has Links 2.0 matured to where he's pretty much done with it, or is he planning a links 3.0 ?? Before doing more than creating helpful documentation, a public statement from Alex on the code is necessary.

Know what I mean?

Scott

Quote Reply
Yes, I agree.
What do you have so far with respenct to my original question. I could could prove helpfull on my current mod projects. (Resources and Links)
TimRyan
Quote Reply
I don't know... I'd have to clean it up a little. It was just basically reminders to me about what modules did what gleaned from the notes here and my hacking, so if I changed one thing, I had to remember to change another Smile

Quote Reply
One of the things I was meaning to do before I switched to LinkSQL was to organize the 100's of hint files I snipped from the forum to get Links working.

I can't say it's the definitive list, and it wasn't edited in any great fashion, but it does point to a bunch of stuff.

But, my question is where do we put it in a useful format??