Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Links modifications taken to the extreme

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Links modifications taken to the extreme
I was initially curious about the statement on your web site on how someone could actually build their own mini-yahoo using the 'Links' script and well I like a challange so I just had to see if I could do it. Well, a short time later, I finished a site that takes all the Mega 'Links' modifications to the extreme. Check it out:

http://www.youho.com

[This message has been edited by Funkmaster HUGE (edited 10-14-98).]
Quote Reply
Re: Links modifications taken to the extreme In reply to
hehehe...funny.

Seriously this is amazing....was all this really produced from the Links script?

If so I'm really impressed. Any chance you could post your modified scripts, including the site_html.pl so i can study them?

Much appreciated.
Quote Reply
If you decide to look at the site above, please be warned that it is adult material, so those that would be offended should not visit.

Aside from that, good take off (no pun intended) on Yahoo!

--Mark

------------------
You can reach my by ICQ at UIN #8602162

Quote Reply
Well basically I used the Links 1.1 and most of the add-in mods. It has a static home page (I remarked out the homepage build subroutine in the script) and it uses webadverts SSI call. There's no .shtml needed as I added a line to the .htaccess file. I changed every 'cool' to 'hot' and changed the 'search in this category' look. The site itself has over 1600 pages, 680 categories, and displays average 18,500 banners a day. It's still new so it doesn't have a lot of web site listings yet, about 2300 with 70 new a day. I used Excel for the category db rather than entering them all by hand. It has about 15 other scripts running as well. The site itself took 7 months and the links search engine portion 3 months. There are a few areas I'm finishing the modifications to like the add and modify forms, search engine results page, and other minor site hacks.

Funkmaster HUGE

[This message has been edited by Funkmaster HUGE (edited January 29, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Yes. It get faster to use Excel rather than add it on the web. But I think if you are have languages another than English, you have to make some convertion. Your site looks cool! May be we can exchange link later!

------------------
Bear EveryWhere
Quote Reply
Yeah, Excel really sped up the add categories process. I am working on a automated add links program. I have set up a bookmark file in Netscape that lists all the catagories in the same directory tree structure as the site. When I surf the web and see a site to add to the database, I bookmark it in the proper category and it grabs the description meta tag as well as the title. Then I use a modified bookmark.pl to add the links automatically. It's an easy way to fill up the many categories and I know surfers hate the (0) by the category name indicated its still empty. I'm hoping to add about 10 starter sites to each category or about 6800 site links. Then with a starter database, I can let the surfers submit from there. I am monitoring the search speed and when it gets sluggish, I will probably switch to MySQL but I'd like to do some research first.

If you see a section of the site that you want to know how I did it, just let me know and I'll post the snippit of code for it...rather than post the huge pearl files.

Funkmaster Huge
Quote Reply
I'm curious to know how this is done.

When you go to a main category page, you have links to sub-categories, and then below those links you have links to actual web sites as well. Is this a modification to the build script?
Quote Reply
No modification there, it's part of links. The subcategories can have web sites listed in them as well as in the sub categories under them and so on.

For example:
you can list a site under

Interactive

as well as:

Interactive/Chat

I used cat hardcode so you basically go to the subcategory you want to list in and click on 'add url'. In 'Interactive', it will list your site on the page just below the subcategories for 'Interacive'.
Quote Reply
Oh...I knew that. For some reason it looked different in your pages. Maybe all that sex disorientated me.

Another thing.

Is this how your bookmark.pl works?

You add a site (with description) to the netscape bookmarks in the correct category.

Bookmark.pl then adds this to links including it in the correct category, and with the description intact.
Quote Reply
Yes. If you get 6500 links. You should better to change it to mySQL version. My site got more than 9000 links and it's using mySQL version. It really takes a much shorter time to search.

Hi Funkmaster, If you have that modificated bookmark.pl, be sure to inform us. It would be a real helpful resources. Thanks.

------------------
Bear EveryWhere
Quote Reply
Yes, I will probably switch to mySQL shortly... I am just hoping it's not a very difficult transition and if it can handle fast searching for say 100,000 links. As for the bookmark.pl, I am still hacking it to get it right with automatically submitting the meta tag description from a site into Links. I will post the results shortly.

Has anyone elso done any preliminary work on such a modification to bookmark.pl? I would like to study what has been done so far.

I get disorientated all the time with this site too.
Quote Reply
Well if you want to know what I'm working with right now its this program called :

URL Spider v2.5.1

at: http://dokken.hypermart.net/index.html

Here's the write up for it:

This program is designed to extract meta tags from Web sites. They are then saved to a file by site name, site description, keywords, and URL. This enables you to index Web sites like the major search engines do. URL Spider is most handy for users needing to add content to their search engines or index their own Web sites. New in this release are the abilities to follow links, select required meta tags, and change the output order.

URL Spider will extract the Title, Description, & Keywords from just about any file, including CGI scripts.
-----

So what I am doing is transfering the data to an Excel file and from there to bookmark.pl ...well of course it all looks good in theory... anyway will keep posted.

Funkmaster HUGE

[This message has been edited by Funkmaster HUGE (edited 10-17-98).]
Quote Reply
Also, as you can see with this program, in addition to building your own mini-yahoo with Links, you could build your own mini-AltaVista using URL Spider. Then you could add it on to your search results page when there are no links found from the search.

Funkmaster HUGE
Quote Reply
Please do - I NEED this mod!!!

------------------
Craig Antill
10 Tenths Motorsport
www.Ten-Tenths.com
Quote Reply
May I know how to display subcategory in

http://www.youho.com/index.html

and can you send me the bookmark.pl?

Thanks,

regards,
kian
Quote Reply
can you e-mail your site_html.pl file?? I want to be able to make my links look kinda like yahoo and i haven't been able to get that "look" yet. If you are able to please e-mail it to:
jgruber@helios.acomp.usf.edu

Thanks!
Joseph Gruber
Quote Reply
No I can't email it, but I will post snippits of specific code if you would like to know how a certain look was achieved. The entire site started out as a standard Links (really it did). So everything you see was added on or modified. One of the more tricky hacks was making the subcategories listed on the sub pages with no spaces between them by modifying the unordered list in specific areas.

My site_html.pl is 180k in size and growing. Also, I use several copies of the scripts of Webadverts SSI with 9 ad zones on cgi and html pages with separate button and banner ad zone placement.

The home page is static, like I said, so I don't have Links building it. (I remarked out the build home page sub routine.) So for the home page, I just added the html pointing to all the top level subcategories... easy. Do a view source to check it out.

As for the bookmark.pl , I may just use Excel to transfer directly into the link.db ... I am still experimenting.

Funkmaster HUGE
Quote Reply
Huge,
Thanks for the tip - i'm downloading it as I write this to evaluate it.

Cheers!

------------------
Craig Antill
10 Tenths Motorsport
www.Ten-Tenths.com
Quote Reply
i'm loving this idea of using the URL spider to create a mini-altavista that comes into play when no results are found from the links database. This would be a mean combination if the spyder works ok.
Quote Reply
I'm playing around with Xavatoria II from
http://www.xav.com/
See http://www.gotzespace.dk/democracysearch/search.cgi
This might be an alternative to the above mentioned spider, and could potentially be built into the Links-system - a scenario: when new links are added, the crawler goes out and indexes them. Thus, the search mechanism could actually search the sites.

John

PS: How do you get email replies here?
Quote Reply
Yeah, just what we all need right? After spending months tweaking Links just right, now we all want our own mini-AltaVista for our sites! Is there no end to the madness.... :\

I will download and try that other spidering robot. I searched Netscape site, the tucows, Dave's, winfiles and shareware.com for any other 'Nescape Meta grabing Bookmark' plugins that could be useful in grabbing site descriptions but nothing so far.

Funkmaster HUGE
Quote Reply
Wow! gotze,
That looks a great script, I might have a go at installing i next weekend and see if I can't get it integrated somehow.

------------------
Craig Antill
10 Tenths Motorsport
www.Ten-Tenths.com
Quote Reply
gotze,

I got confused in their (xav.com) ftp directory and didn't know what file (or files) i should pick up.
Would you be kind enough to tell me

Thank you

Celio

P.S - Forum members:I apologize for my last post appear twice.

------------------
--------------------
Where were you when the page was blank?"
  > Truman Capote
Quote Reply
I found it at:
http://www.xav.com/latest/search.txt

Beware: it is very efficient in its crawling, and you soon find yourself having a big index ...

I've posted a request for some new features at the scripts board at the xav site (found way down at the scripts page).

As for integrating it with Links, some caution is at place - if, for example, you have someone adding a link to a really big site, and the crawler goes out and indexes it ... well, you need lots of space and bandwidth ...
(I saw a TV-show where people from AltaVista told about the equipment - I understand why they need it ...).

John Gotze
http://www.gotzespace.dk
Quote Reply
I've been using Xavatoria search for about a year now and would recommend it to anyone. I have 5 of them working on my site to search separate areas and they work amazing. You don't have to search just HTML either. I have mine searching a database of about 1500 sgm files and it works fast! They are fully customizable as well. You can see one of my search engines at extreme.nas.net
near the bottom of the page.

------------------
Jason
Extreme mtb
extreme.nas.net

[This message has been edited by jdulberg (edited 11-06-98).]
> >