Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

LinkIt for Dummies

Quote Reply
LinkIt for Dummies
Hi:

I'm trying to password protect my admin page.

I'm using the Linkit.cgi Script from http://www.highlandmedia.net/ which has been recommended.

I've read through the following forums:
. . . .Links 2.0/Customization
. . . .Links 2.0/Installation
. . . .Resources/Links/Modifications/

When I install and run the LinkIt.cgi script, it doesn't prompt me to choose a password, or declare which directories I'd like to protect.

Any ideas? I've read through the forums here and on the HighlandMedia page but haven't found a successfull solution.

here is what I've done:
1)created a folder in my cgi-bin directory (cgi-bin/security/)for the linkit.cgi script
2)uploaded the script and chmod 755
3)ran the script....did nothing. Simply comes up with the login page. Doesn't prompt me to create passwords or protect directories.

Any (constructive) thoughts?

Merci!

Cam
Victoria BC

Quote Reply
Re: LinkIt for Dummies In reply to
Hello to you...

I believe it LockIt from Highlandmedia.net... anyways...
You might want to re-read the instructions on their site. The site states this:

"LockIt will prompt you to protect the directory that it is in. It will not allow you to continue until it is protected. LockIt will fill in the path to it's directory for you. Be sure to put LockIt in it's own directory."

That might be why all you get is a login page... you haven't protected the Lockit.cgi scripts dir yet.

Hope this helps! Smile

Jeremy Kerr
http://www.indianawebsites.com
Quote Reply
Here is what I did

1. upload lockit.cgi to my cgi-bin/links/admin folder
2. chmod it to 755
3. in my browser typed www.mysite.com/cgi-bin/links/admin/lockit.cgi
4. the lockit screen comes up...!
5. enter name and password
6. click the lockit button
7. record my name and password
8. now when I type in my admin.cgi, I have to enter my name and password

Quote Reply
Thanks.

Yup, uploaded to the admin directory. I then go to the lockit script: /cgi-bin/links/lockit.cgi and it tells that this directory is not protected yet and to enter a user name and password.

When I enter a username and password to lock the directory, this is the error that I get when I click the LOCKIT button:

Method Not Allowed
The requested method POST is not allowed for the URL /~mysite/cgi-bin/links/admin/lockit.cgi.

Any ideas?