Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Is There ANY way LINKS Automatically add Name & Email to Subscribe When Add A Resourc

Quote Reply
Is There ANY way LINKS Automatically add Name & Email to Subscribe When Add A Resourc
LINKS V 2.0
===========

Hello Links Fellows,

Is there any way to Modify LINKS v2.0 in the ADD A Resource page that when someone submit their webpage w/ Name and Email. Name and Email will automatically add to Subscribe In the "Email Update" section instead of they use "Email Update" links to add their Email and Names. That would make them add twice. What if they dont prefer to receive mail, they wont add their email in. On the Other hand , I would like LINKS to include that feature in ADD A RESOURCE w/ automatic subsribe to the list. Sometimes in the Futre, We want to email them and notify them w/ our services.

ANY BRILLIANT IDEAS TO SUPPORT THIS?

THANKS FOR TAKING THIS SERIOUSLY,

:0)

HAPPY!
PEACE...

------------------
WebKing
WebKing@trisoft.net
http://www.trisoft.net
My ICQ # 25356171
Quote Reply
Re: Is There ANY way LINKS Automatically add Name & Email to Subscribe When Add A Resourc In reply to
WebKing,

You are confusing your mailing lists. There are two mailing lists used in Links v2. One is for the owner of the resource and they are automatically subscribed to that when they add their resource. That is the default in Links v2.

The Subscribe option is used by people who browse your site. They subscribe to your newsletter that lets them know what is new on your site.

I hope this clarifies things.
Quote Reply
Re: Is There ANY way LINKS Automatically add Name & Email to Subscribe When Add A Resourc In reply to
Put this in site_html.pl under site_html_add_success section.
It won't automatically add the link owner but it's an easy way to get them to subscribe.

---------------------------

<form action="$build_email_url" method="POST">
<div class="margin">
<p><strong class="error">$message</strong></p>
<p>Keep informed of new additions to $site_title, by subscribing to our low-volume
newsletter that will deliver new listings straight to your inbox!<br><br>
<select name="action"><option value="subscribe">Subscribe<option value="unsubscribe">Unsubscribe</select> to the list<br>
Name: <input name="name" Value="$in{'Contact Name'}" size=15> Email: <input name="email" value="$in{'Contact Email'}" size=15> <input type="submit" value="Subscribe">
</p>
</div>
</form>

---------------------------
Quote Reply
Hi Dan!

How about with templates..Does one do the samething?

------------------
www.nzcid.godzone.net.nz
New Zealand Christian Internet Directory

Quote Reply
Ian,

All you have to do is change the $variable to <%variable%> that you can use in the sub site_html_add_success, like the following:

Code:
<form action="<%build_email_url%>" method="POST">
<div class="margin">
<p><strong class="error"><%message%></strong></p>
<p>Keep informed of new additions to $site_title, by subscribing to our low-volume
newsletter that will deliver new listings straight to your inbox!<br><br>
<select name="action"><option value="subscribe">Subscribe<option value="unsubscribe">Unsubscribe</select> to the list<br>
Name: <input name="name" Value="<%Contact Name%>" size=15> Email: <input name="email" value="<%Contact Email%>" size=15> <input type="submit" value="Subscribe">
</p>
</div>
</form>

Hope this helps.

Make sure that you have build_email_url defined in your global variables, like the following:

Code:
build_email_url => $build_email_url,

You can also use the following codes to replace the <%build_email_url%>:

Code:
<%db_cgi_url%>/subscribe.cgi

Also, make sure that you have defined <%message%> tag in your sub site_html_add_success routine in the site_html_templates.pl file.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

[This message has been edited by Eliot (edited January 06, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Eliot (edited January 06, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Greetings Elliot!

Thanks for the reply.

Forgive my ignorance but how do you define <%message%> in the sub site mentioned.

I tried message => $message - that did not work. Came up with a fatal error.

Thanks

------------------
www.nzcid.godzone.net.nz
New Zealand Christian Internet Directory

Quote Reply
Look in the subscribe.cgi file. Copy the codes for $message into add.cgi file.

Then use that tag definition I gave before. You can also just delete that tag out completely. It really does nothing other than post the error message back to the add_succsess.html file.

My suggestion...leave out the <%message%> tag. If people fill out the form inaccurately, then they will be redirected to the email_error.html template file.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------