Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Idea for New Mod

Quote Reply
Idea for New Mod
Ok, here's a new idea for a modification for Links.

The idea behind this mod is that the mod would enable a person to sign up to receive updates. These updates however would only be sent to the person in the category of their choice. So if a person wanted to know when a new link was added to the category "Business" they would sign up to receive an e-mail when a business link was validated. Would this modification be able to be made? Thanks.

-Greg
Quote Reply
Re: Idea for New Mod In reply to
Widgetz, would you know how to do this?
Quote Reply
Bignosebird.com have a mailing list script which supports multi mailing lists; (Nomodomo).
This will serve your purpose if you mamanged to integrate it into Links 2.
i was thinking about it recently, and think that it wont be hard.
i noticed that in order to specify which list you want to have on a page, you will need to have a file for that list (*.MBZ)
, lets say business.MBZ for the business category .
then you need to have that name (business) as a hidden field in your form on the page which the list serves.

i noticed that if you dont have the file (business.MBZ) created already, and just place the form with the hidden field that point to (business) , then the script will create a file (business.MBZ) .

so, if you have your category.html template to print theform , with the value of this hidden field to be the name of each category, I think you will be able to have a mailing list for wach category. then you can manage your lists through (Nomodomo) .

this is just in theory, i havn't tried it, but i intend to.
Quote Reply
Would this script enable this process to be automatic?
Quote Reply
I was thinking of a script like the one at the page below, but using categories instead of keywords.
Visit this link to see an example:

http://www.contracts365.com/...ager.html?action=new

Any ideas?
Thanks.
-Greg
Quote Reply
Yes , i would say it will work automatically and have a list for each category, becasue even if the file for the list doesnt exist, it will create one, but i havnt tried the idea youre talking about because i have alot on my hands right now, but i plan to do it becasue its important for me .

i looked at the link below, but i didnt understand what it has to do with this idea.

Thanx
Laith
Quote Reply
umm..

Quote:
Widgetz, would you know how to do this?

hehe.. i'm not a machine!! Smile

i beleive the email subscribers are stored in email.db? or something.. (i'm not of fan of annoying email.. so i don't send them either hehe)

anyways.. i would suspect it would be adding a category field and a more advanced subscribe.cgi

if i were you.. i would rebuild how the email letter works.. i would make something like a email.def and use that way to add/modify/delete email subscribers..

and then make a mod for it to work with links..

no biggie..
Quote Reply
Laith,
I checked out the nomodomo script and you are right it looks like it could definetely serve this purpose. Have you done anything on making this mod recently? Just checking.
Thanks.
-Greg