Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Getting Around Permission "nobody"

Quote Reply
Getting Around Permission "nobody"
Hello,

I am having a problem with permissions. There apparently a FAQ in the resource center that explained my issue but it is missing now.

When I build using nph-build.cgi from the browser it builds as user "nobody" when setting permissions and deleting and modifying files.

When I try to build using telnet, it builds with user 'john' which is my username. So when it gets to deleting or overwriting the index file in the /New directory it stops with a permission error.

How do I get around this problem? Is there a modification I can make to one of the scripts to use user 'nobody' when building by telnet?

Thanks

John

Quote Reply
Re: Getting Around Permission "nobody" In reply to
This is the script that I use:
http://www.verysimple.com/scripts/nobody.html

The script gives a telnet like gui, but all commands are executed as user nobody.

I then can chmod everything to 777, and then I'm able to regain control.

Just remember to remove the script from your site when done!

Quote Reply
Thank you for the tip. Great script and will come in handy. Any idea how I can set it up to run via cron and build my database each evening?

John

Quote Reply
I have a similar, though somewhat different problem:

My pages are also built with user/group nobody/nobody. Since I have local users using this machine, they can now actually write to all these files and also delete them, which I do not like.

Would the solution be to execute nph-build.cgi from a shell as a user and not via a browser? And, does anybody know a solution WITH browser? Maybe change some the apache configuration?

Regards,

Ivan,
Iyengar Yoga Resources
Quote Reply
If I had the ability to build from the web and build via the shell (and I do), I would always build from the shell. First, it is faster. Second, it takes less bandwidth (useful on hosts that charge for bandwidth). Third, it doesn't time out. That pretty much solves the problem except when modifying links or categories from the Admin screen. With the correct permissions, though, you can overcome that. Since most systems prohibit access to cgi-bin directories (and sub-directories) and since you should be password protecting your links Admin directory anyway (inherited by the subdirectories), it shouldn't hurt to give everything 777 permissions (files, not scripts) from the admin directory on down through the subdirectories. But, that is just my opinion and others may disagree.

- Bobsie
bobsie@orphanage.com
http://goodstuff.orphanage.com/