Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Faster search

Quote Reply
Faster search
i'm working on making links 2.0 have a faster search... anyone with a large database willing to test for me?

please???
--tom
Quote Reply
Re: Faster search In reply to
I hope what you're working on can be used on NT as well... I'm very curious! (though my db is only 190k at present - but starting to slow down)
Quote Reply
What are you using? Grep, by chance? If so, this has been discussed before in the Discussion Forum.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. :)
----------------------

Quote Reply
I want to test!!!!!!!!!!!
I have a big db (3000 links) and it rising everyday.
I want to try it.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Tom,

I might be able to help test. My db contains over 4,700 links. However, searches are already quite fast so it might be hard to tell if there is much difference.

Additionally, I have Links SQL installed, but I am waiting till I more thoroughly test/understand everything before switching it into operation. That would make testing on my Links 2 setup less of a risk. Smile

Dan
Quote Reply
What ist a large database? My db is 1.5 MB with less than 2.000 link.

Lothar

------------------
Regards

Lothar Jung
http://Download-TIP.de
Quote Reply
how many fields do you have?

------------------
LookHard Search
lookhard.hypermart.net
Lavon Russell
Quote Reply
Eliot -- yes, it does use grep, but it's going to work the same as a normal search. As i recall (couldn't find the old post, didn't try that hard), if ANYTHING in the rec fit, it was returned, no matter what field it was in. i rather like the @searchfields concept... so this won't be AS fast as a flat-out grep, but it'll be faster than it is now.

hmm... i'm havin some errors... looks like i'll need to rewrite the regexp... Eliot, do you remember which thread grep was discussed?
--tom
Quote Reply
The two Threads are located in the Links Discussion Forum. Look for Perl Core Dump...I posted a Thread about this issue, and what came out of it was grep codes.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
----------------------

Quote Reply
well, darn... Jerry beat me to it after all... and his code looks better anyway. anyone who wants a faster search can go to www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/forum/resources/Forum11/HTML/001297.html

thanks for the help,
--tom

p.s. if you guys want to benchmark, i love numbers...

[This message has been edited by garadon (edited February 10, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Keep in mind that the grep codes will only work best with an original copy of search.cgi. If you have added in other things like sorting records, sort by, etc...it will not produce the results you want.

BTW: Always best to thoroughly search all the LINKS forums and also the Resource Center before wasting time on modifications that have been done before.

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. Smile
----------------------

[This message has been edited by Eliot (edited February 10, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Hi Bmxer,

I have 34 fields in my database

Lothar
Quote Reply
Bmxer has not even posted a reply in this Thread.

Your reply is quite ambiguous to say the least. So what if you have 34 fields in your database.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Check again, Eliot. Seventh message of the thread.

Dan
Quote Reply

Quote:
What ist a large database? My db is 1.5 MB with less than 2.000 link.

The reason its so big is because of the number of fields you have, 34. All the data from 34 fields really does add up in a text file database.

------------------
LookHard Search
lookhard.hypermart.net
Lavon Russell
Quote Reply
Oops, my fault, Dan.

I can always count on you to make me look bad...never a surprise.

Frown

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply

Quote:
I can always count on you to make me look bad
Actually, it was you that made yourself look bad. I just happened along and defended a guy for answering a question... Wink

Dan
Quote Reply
I stand correct once again, Dan Kaplan (a.k.a. Link God!).

Frown

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Eliot,

your mislead is a result of the linear thread method of UBB - I think DCForum is the better bbs system.
I am the german reseller of dcscripts.com ;-)

Bmxer,

I using links on my freeware/shareware site.
Some field are only for the administration, but the most of all 34 fields are used for the listings.
Iam very interested to upgrade to the sql version for faster search but I prefer using the site_html.pl because I using a lot of additional perl code.

regards

Lothar